Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
raineofblood

Red face And Now I Will Proceed To Bombard You With Questions...

Umm..Okay. I have a couple of questions which i will kindly place in one thread to cause your head to blow up. Please don't hate me. =_=""

alright:

1.) And here we have an annoying DIY question -_-"". Okie. I'm new to DIY projects when it comes to clothes so yeah. I want to make a tee shirt with short fishnet sleeves and uh. Oh crap. I swore I wouldn't do this because whenever I do I feel like a moron. Damn this inability to describe >o< . Okay. In Naruto. The character Gaara. His Tee shirt. that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. No I am not aiming to cosplay as Gaara and Yes I am an otaku. In case u have no idea wat i'm talking about...: Gaara Picture

If you have any good links to sites that would help me in future (or this current) DIY clothing projects that would be appreciated as well ^_^

Look at me ranting =_=""

2.) It's summer. Big whoop. two problems. My hair gets wavy in the dreaded humidity. Can anyone reccomend a hair straightner within 10-30 bucks which works ok?

Sorry, this post gets a bit longer. Bear with me. Last one.

3.) Summer Problem 2. Yay...Tan Time. No. Not really. I am cursed w/ getting terible tans which are annoying. I apply slabs of sunscreen and yet...blah.
I've heard that peroxide+lemon juice will lighten the skin. so...how would u go about doing that? how much of each etcetera etcetera
And what type of hydrogen peroxide? (they sell different percents i think they have 3% and 10%?)

Oh, and does it damage your skin in the long term? just drying it out or what? Because someone told me it causes wrinkles to occur earlier in life.

If your eyes have fallen out by now HAHA! i mean...sorry.
^_^"" I am looking forward to your answers. Sorry I wrote so much.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

First of all, be careful with your spelling and grammar. We abhor lazy writing around here. For some reason (despite your musical tastes :P) you got into my good side, so I'd want for you to be able to stay around.
Now:
Quote:
Can anyone reccomend a hair straightner within 10-30 bucks which works ok? /
I spent about 50 on mine. It's more than your expected budget, but it was worth it. It's almost as good as my stylist's and that one's a couple of hundreds worth. If you consider the possibility of spending 20 more, I reccomend Infiniti by Conair. Other than that some shampoos help your hair be naturally straight. I remember a Herbal Essences one.

Quote:
I've heard that peroxide+lemon juice will lighten the skin. so...how would u go about doing that?
I wouldn't recommend that. It does make you paler, but going out to the sun doing that will leave you red. Just buy a good sunblock and stay in the shadows (cliché much?) as much as possible and content yourself with your normal skin hue.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
raineofblood

I got to your good side huh? Well I'm glad. Thanks for the tips.

Yay! Perfect spelling and grammar. Right right? Huh huh? Yes!
Yes I am sugar high.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Encaitare

There are a couple of DIY threads around here with good links to some tutorials. As to the shirt you want to make, it just looks like a black tee with some fishnet added to lengthen the sleeves, yes? Well, take a black tee. Then get a pair of fishnet stockings, chop off the ends, and take a section and sew it onto the sleeves (on the inside, mind you). If you want the end to be neater, maybe make a "hem" with black ribbon. Good luck!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Heatherzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineofblood
Umm..Okay. I have a couple of questions which i will kindly place in one thread to cause your head to blow up. Please don't hate me. =_=""

alright:

1.) And here we have an annoying DIY question -_-"". Okie. I'm new to DIY projects when it comes to clothes so yeah. I want to make a tee shirt with short fishnet sleeves and uh. Oh crap. I swore I wouldn't do this because whenever I do I feel like a moron. Damn this inability to describe >o< . Okay. In Naruto. The character Gaara. His Tee shirt. that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. No I am not aiming to cosplay as Gaara and Yes I am an otaku. In case u have no idea wat i'm talking about...: Gaara Picture

If you have any good links to sites that would help me in future (or this current) DIY clothing projects that would be appreciated as well ^_^

Look at me ranting =_=""
Plain black tee. Fishnet stockings. Just play around till you get something that works. It shouldn't be hard, but last time I said something shouldn't be hard I ended up spending 3 hours getting really frustrated so you might not want to listen to me.

Quote:

2.) It's summer. Big whoop. two problems. My hair gets wavy in the dreaded humidity. Can anyone reccomend a hair straightner within 10-30 bucks which works ok?

Sorry, this post gets a bit longer. Bear with me. Last one.
Sorry for being absolutely no help here. Maybe you could just curl your hair instead? I gave up on trying to find a good cheap hair straightener. I don't think they exist which is sad because I could really do with one.

Quote:

3.) Summer Problem 2. Yay...Tan Time. No. Not really. I am cursed w/ getting terible tans which are annoying. I apply slabs of sunscreen and yet...blah.
I've heard that peroxide+lemon juice will lighten the skin. so...how would u go about doing that? how much of each etcetera etcetera
And what type of hydrogen peroxide? (they sell different percents i think they have 3% and 10%?)

Oh, and does it damage your skin in the long term? just drying it out or what? Because someone told me it causes wrinkles to occur earlier in life.

If your eyes have fallen out by now HAHA! i mean...sorry.
^_^"" I am looking forward to your answers. Sorry I wrote so much.
Peroxide will damage your skin and cause wrinkles and all those bad things. You can get products that are designed to lighten your skin and wont wreak it. Not sure where you would find these except for online though.

Hope I've been some sort of help. Luv your avvie BTW.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
bleedingheart344

Eh, I don't want to start another thread for this. I want to attach some black lace cuffs onto the ends of the sleeves of my new dress shirt. I have no clue on how to work with lace though.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
KontanKarite

Stitch witchery is your friend on that. It's like a fabric glue. It will hold the lace in place and dry like that. At the same time, on a later date, you can reinforce it with stitching once you find out how.

This could also work for the shirt mentioned in the original post.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
raineofblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherzilla
Luv your avvie BTW.
Thank you ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Well, take a black tee. Then get a pair of fishnet stockings, chop off the ends, and take a section and sew it onto the sleeves (on the inside, mind you). If you want the end to be neater, maybe make a "hem" with black ribbon. Good luck!
Thanks. I'll try that out this weekend. I like the idea to make a hem with a ribbon, it'll make it look much nicer.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
Haunted House

All you have to do is wear fishnets under a t shirt and it'll look just like that. Or if you're hell bent on getting one shirt with fishnet sleeves I'm pretty sure you can get it somewhere online.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Wearing the fishnets (cut to the length you want) under the shirt rather than sewing them to the sleeves is much more practical.
You can wear them aside from just that shirt, and in the case the shirt tears or something the fishnets show up, which is cool.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
raineofblood

Yes, you two are right. That is a lot more practical. Where would I be able to purchase the fish nets?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

I bought ones online, and made ones with women stockings; though the latter ones cannot be used as a shirt as they end just below my chest and don't cover my belly, haha.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
raineofblood

Once more internet shopping has prevailed....Once more I am unable to buy online. My age and my parents greatly contribute to that fact.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #14
Attitude_Stricken

I think the Revlon StyliX Tourmaline Ceramic Straightener works great though do read the instructions about the heat settings according to your hair type. I only spent about $30 on it.
Attitude_Stricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
raineofblood

I shall check out both suggested straighteners and come to a decision. Oh crap. I hate decisions. =_="
Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
DarkHeartedDemoness

If you want to sew the fishnets to the shirt, I would highly recommend lining them. It looks like Gaara's sleeves pucker where it comes in on the fishnet, so you'll need to gather, as well. How skilled are you?

Wearing a fishnet t-shirt underneath won't create the same pucker effect, and I really think that adds to the charm. If you line the fishnet, you create a little more substance and hopefully cut down the elasticity somewhat to allow your sleeve to remain straight and not bunched, and to help the pucker or puff of the upper part of the sleeve.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
raineofblood

How skilled am I? My best work occurs only at embroidery. But my mother is pretty amazing when it comes to sewing and such so I have become her pupil and she is helping me out with many projects.

Encaitares suggested to make a hem with black ribbon and that ties in with your idea of the lining so if I end up sewing (that is if I can find the fishnet fabric somewhere) I would definitly do that.

DarkHeartedDemoness, your suggestion has helped quite a bit. ^_^
Old 04-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
Haunted House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I bought ones online, and made ones with women stockings; though the latter ones cannot be used as a shirt as they end just below my chest and don't cover my belly, haha.
If you make the whole somewhat small and pull the elastic band all the way down and hold it in place with a belt, it works. It might rip a bit, but that only means its trying to fit better and you don't have to worry.