Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
the lady of shalott

Talking Holly Black anyone?

I recently found this novel called
"Tithe; a Modern Faerie Tale"...
Very interesting novel. Anyone else read this book? Apparently, there is due to be a second book coming out called, "Valiant". I highly recommend these books.
the lady of shalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Dark Wolf

I read this one. I love Holly Black. Valiant is already out. The third one is due out in May 2007...it is called Ironside. She also co-wrote The Spiderwick Chronicles. All very awesome books.
Dark Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
AzrealZ

Haven't heard of it, but perhaps a quick summary of said titles would entice me to look for it.
AzrealZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Dark Wolf

They are all modern fairie tales. Which basically means they are stories set in the world of faerie, but in modern times.

Tithe is about a girl who discovers she is not human, but a changeling and is going to be used as a human sacrifice by the Unseelie Court. She and a faerie Knight basically have to thwart the whole thing. It's actually very entertaining.

Valiant is about a girl who runs away from home and gets cought up with some homeless people and she starts doing a drug that helps her to see the faerie world. She thinks it's really cool at first until she screws up and becomes a sort of slave for a troll. While in his service, she uncovers a whole serial killer type plot that she winds up having to solve because everyone suspects the troll, and she has to pretty much save him to save herself.

They are good, fast reads. Very original from what I've seen. Just the whole cross-over into the modern world. It makes it seem more realistic (as much as a story like that can) because it is set in the here-and-now.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Dark Wolf

Oh, and...
The Spiderwick Chronicles are actually junior reader type books (chapter books for 8-12 year olds) that can each be read in about an hour. Same modern-world setting, except the main characters are kids instead of teens. (I think the older sister is 11, and her twin brothers are 9 years old.) But they are still extremely entertaining stories. It is the on-going adventures of these 3 siblings when they move into a relative's house and find a field guide to fae creatures. With the help of the field guide, they start to see faeries, trolls, pookas, elves, etc and wind up having to save their family from an invasion of these creatures. The creatures want the book back so humans won't discover their world. Half the time the kids don't have the book, but the fae don't believe them, so it is a great on-going battle.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #6
AzrealZ

Interesting, and thank you very much for the info! Sounds like my kind of stories! I think I read something similar a few years back, by Margaret something...Fairies in the modern world that is, but I'm almost sure the author wasn't Holly Black. My dad actually picked it up from a local library, but couldn't get into it. Anyways, I'll definitely have to check it out, and once more, thank you!
AzrealZ is offline   Reply With Quote