Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Malice In Wonderland

Police: Hacking home computers

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5439604.ece

The Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant.

The move, which follows a decision by the European Union’s council of ministers in Brussels, has angered civil liberties groups and opposition MPs. They described it as a sinister extension of the surveillance state which drives “a coach and horses” through privacy laws.

The hacking is known as “remote searching”. It allows police or MI5 officers who may be hundreds of miles away to examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room.

Material gathered in this way includes the content of all e-mails, web-browsing habits and instant messaging.

Under the Brussels edict, police across the EU have been given the green light to expand the implementation of a rarely used power involving warrantless intrusive surveillance of private property. The strategy will allow French, German and other EU forces to ask British officers to hack into someone’s UK computer and pass over any material gleaned.

A remote search can be granted if a senior officer says he “believes” that it is “proportionate” and necessary to prevent or detect serious crime — defined as any offence attracting a jail sentence of more than three years.

However, opposition MPs and civil liberties groups say that the broadening of such intrusive surveillance powers should be regulated by a new act of parliament and court warrants.

They point out that in contrast to the legal safeguards for searching a suspect’s home, police undertaking a remote search do not need to apply to a magistrates’ court for a warrant.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, the human rights group, said she would challenge the legal basis of the move. “These are very intrusive powers – as intrusive as someone busting down your door and coming into your home,” she said. “The public will want this to be controlled by new legislation and judicial authorisation. Without those safeguards it’s a devastating blow to any notion of personal privacy.

"
She said the move had parallels with the warrantless police search of the House of Commons office of Damian Green, the Tory MP: “It’s like giving police the power to do a Damian Green every day but to do it without anyone even knowing you were doing it.

Richard Clayton, a researcher at Cambridge University’s computer laboratory, said that remote searches had been possible since 1994, although they were very rare. An amendment to the Computer Misuse Act 1990 made hacking legal if it was authorised and carried out by the state.

He said the authorities could break into a suspect’s home or office and insert a “key-logging” device into an individual’s computer. This would collect and, if necessary, transmit details of all the suspect’s keystrokes. “It’s just like putting a secret camera in someone’s living room,” he said.

Police might also send an e-mail to a suspect’s computer. The message would include an attachment that contained a virus or “malware”. If the attachment was opened, the remote search facility would be covertly activated. Alternatively, police could park outside a suspect’s home and hack into his or her hard drive using the wireless network.

Police say that such methods are necessary to investigate suspects who use cyberspace to carry out crimes. These include paedophiles, internet fraudsters, identity thieves and terrorists.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) said such intrusive surveillance was closely regulated under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. A spokesman said police were already carrying out a small number of these operations which were among 194 clandestine searches last year of people’s homes, offices and hotel bedrooms.

“To be a valid authorisation, the officer giving it must believe that when it is given it is necessary to prevent or detect serious crime and [the] action is proportionate to what it seeks to achieve,” Acpo said.

Dominic Grieve, the shadow home secretary, agreed that the development may benefit law enforcement. But he added: “The exercise of such intrusive powers raises serious privacy issues. The government must explain how they would work in practice and what safeguards will be in place to prevent abuse. The Home Office said it was working with other EU states to develop details of the proposals.

Thoughts anyone?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear

Last edited by Malice In Wonderland; 01-04-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Missed link to original article
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Despanan

When it comes to privacy and free-speech, the UK is insane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
When it comes to privacy and free-speech, the UK is insane.
The police can do anything and get away with it.
And that's in any country.
It's illegal unless the police do it.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Despanan

*facepalm*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

They're welcome to hack my computer. I've gone through quite an effort to collect some of the sickest, most disturbing Hentai in existence. I'd love to see a Cop explain what it's doing on his monitor when his boss walks in.

Look boss, SHITTING DICK NIPPLES!

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland
Police say that such methods are necessary to investigate suspects who use cyberspace to carry out crimes. These include paedophiles, internet fraudsters, identity thieves and terrorists.
Standard excuse for this sort of thing then.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Standard excuse for this sort of thing then.
No one will argue against them when they say "Pedophile."

Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Necrophagist

Agreed. But the police can go get fucked.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #9
The Brooding One

I say to those hackers to 'FUCK OFF!'

Unless of course if they're actually reading this, then I say "Hey, dudes, just kidding around."
The Brooding One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brooding One
I say to those hackers to 'FUCK OFF!'

Unless of course if they're actually reading this, then I say "Hey, dudes, just kidding around."
Well, we know you're smarter than Deadmanwalking anyway...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
The Brooding One

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Thanks.

I think.......
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brooding One
Thanks.

I think.......
He usually tries (and fails) to impress us with stories of him being a "badass" to Cops.

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
The Brooding One

Quote:
He usually tries (and fails) to impress us with stories of him being a "badass" to Cops.
Oh, one of those. In that case, last weekend I fought a dozen Hell's Angels armed with only a cocktail sword.

Beat every one of them to death.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
PortraitOfSanity

That's fucking hardcore!

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Alarica

OMG you are so cool!!

Seriously though, if they get the power to do this, they wont stick to the 'rules'. Pisses me off that anyone can punch me in the face, and cops go 'that wasnt nice, now say sorry', yet the other week some female officer waded in to break up a fight between 2 big blokes in town here, and 1 punched her in the back. He is being charged with GBH on the officer but only affray for the punch up.

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarica
OMG you are so cool!!

Seriously though, if they get the power to do this, they wont stick to the 'rules'. Pisses me off that anyone can punch me in the face, and cops go 'that wasnt nice, now say sorry', yet the other week some female officer waded in to break up a fight between 2 big blokes in town here, and 1 punched her in the back. He is being charged with GBH on the officer but only affray for the punch up.
Exactly.
They can look at and take stuff off your hard drive.
All we have is their word they won't plant stuff on our systems.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #17
Maxim_Macabre

Get an external hard drive.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #18
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim_Macabre
Get an external hard drive.
Seriously, if you leave incriminating evidence on a computer that's connected to the internet, you DESERVE to get arrested for your stupidity.

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Seriously, if you leave incriminating evidence on a computer that's connected to the internet, you DESERVE to get arrested for your stupidity.
I can completely agree with this.
The main problem is really, who actually trust the police not to misuse this power?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
The thing is I don't give a fuck,bring 'em on (And they better have a good supply of body bags on hand)

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Deadmanwalking_05

And I hope to hell they are reading this.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #22
Albert Mond

Damn Popo.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland
The police can do anything and get away with it.
And that's in any country.
It's illegal unless the police do it.
Any country?

Where I live people in the senate who try this stuff get sent to prison, let alone police officers. I understand that my place of residence is pretty obscure though, so I understand the mistake you've made.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #24
PortraitOfSanity

Where do you live Filth?

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #25
Mr. Filth

California.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote