Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #76
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I'm going to bite the bullet: what music do you like?
Why? So you can put them on one of your lists? Don't think so.
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #77
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER View Post
Why? So you can put them on one of your lists? Don't think so.
One of my lists of what, exactly?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #78
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
What reasoned argument is there to make? None of the artists that sibyl vane listed use a conventional rock band setup

Ok lets take Brand New. Apart from reaching new levels of annoyingness can you tell me what it is exactly you think they’re doing which is unconventional.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 AM   #79
honeythorn

Quote:
Dead Can Dance are an 80s band. This thread is about whether or not there are any bands from the 00s that could be called pioneering in any meaningful way.
Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrad have both released solo albums in the 00's and still are. Whilst not DCD as a band, they are valid as individuals. Just as a pont of note.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #80
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrad have both released solo albums in the 00's and still are. Whilst not DCD as a band, they are valid as individuals. Just as a pont of note.
Meh. I’m already taking it for granted that anyone who even makes half-decent music these days honed their craft in the 80s.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #81
JCC

Quote:
Ok lets take Brand New. Apart from reaching new levels of annoyingness can you tell me what it is exactly you think they’re doing which is unconventional.
Just listen to the very first song of their latest album and if their unorthodox approach doesn't hit you in the face then you're not paying attention. Brand New have a liberal use of progressive time signature changes and jarring tempo switches, and a clear influence from Lightning Bolt-esque dissonant noise rock and mathcore runs through their unique brand of alternative post-post-hardcore, until for their next song they will inexplicably transform into a low-key mellow indie band. If you've only listened to their first album then sure, they're just another pop punk band, but they're so far-removed from that now that I can't see how you don't see them as unique unless you're making statements without listening to their music, which wouldn't exactly surprise me.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #82
Solumina

Quote:
I'd like to, but to be honest I'm not sure it would be possible in this forum. At least half the regular posters here seem to be unapologetic retards. It'd just get flamed.
Well you're getting flamed in here so what's the difference really? Don't worry about getting flamed and just do it, ignore the people you think are "unapologetic retards" and just discus with those who aren't. Even though I completely disagree with your opinion that there is no such thing as art I would at least like to know the rational behind it and I think it could generate some decent discussion.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #83
Still Jack

Quote:
You are a ginger boy. You take photos of yourself smoking cigarettes and holding cans of beer to look cool. Go away.
Oh, that scathing insult aggrieved me so much I'm going to break down and cry. On another note besides your miscarrying of insults.

You obviously don't have clue about music, the production thereof, or instruments in general.

Everyone in this thread is unmistakeably right, with the sole exception of you.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #84
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPPLEGANGER
I got bullied in high school, probably for being ginger and couldn't take it. I wish I was cool enough to have friends and go to parties where I could drink beer and get laid, but I'm too busy being a mummies boy/girl/whatever. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
And don't you dare call Hip-Hop stupid again.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #85
Apathy's_Child

The issue here is that the explosion of media in the last decade has led to a lot more stuff being put out there than would have been possible before. Sure, this has intensified the sheer volume of crap we have to sift through, but there are still some real gems in the mix too. I can't think of many in terms of music (mostly TV and film spring to mind), but then again I don't really listen to many bands who originated recently, so I don't really consider that argument anything I want in on as I don't have a full enough knowledge of recently-made music to comment. (Recommendations are good, but only if the plug gives me an idea of what to expect - can't possibly check out everything ever mentioned, online or off.)

However, Doppelganger, I would be interested to know what kind of bands you're into generally.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #86
DepthsofSpace

I am laughing out loud at the responses to this thread. =P

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #87
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
You are a ginger boy. You take photos of yourself smoking cigarettes and holding cans of beer to look cool. Go away.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #88
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
And don't you dare call Hip-Hop stupid again.
I called it retarded. You are retarded too. Now go practice your gang signs.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #89
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
As opposed to what? Mistakenly right? Lol
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #90
JCC

Quote:
As opposed to what? Mistakenly right? Lol
No, 'unmistakeably' means that there is no doubt that we're right. You're a dumbass.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #91
Still Jack

Wow, this member is incredibly eloquent in its insults, I wonder if it will go on to be the next Wordsworth, or, as an alternative, mope about its shallow existence and take out its depression/anger on superior beings on the internet. Hmm, I think the latter.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #92
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
The issue here is that the explosion of media in the last decade has led to a lot more stuff being put out there than would have been possible before. Sure, this has intensified the sheer volume of crap we have to sift through, but there are still some real gems in the mix too. I can't think of many in terms of music (mostly TV and film spring to mind), but then again I don't really listen to many bands who originated recently, so I don't really consider that argument anything I want in on as I don't have a full enough knowledge of recently-made music to comment. (Recommendations are good, but only if the plug gives me an idea of what to expect - can't possibly check out everything ever mentioned, online or off.)

However, Doppelganger, I would be interested to know what kind of bands you're into generally.
Firstly, I appreciate the fact you’re actually trying to talk to me here instead of just joining the brain tumour bandwagon.

The thing is, I’ve never said that there are no good bands from the 00s. I’m arguing that this decade has not produced anything resembling the sheer enormity of bands remarkable in their originality that previous decades did (in so far as originality can be measured). It must be quite clear by now that I personally pretty much detest most 00s music, but that’s just my personal opinion and I haven’t tried to use it to justify my argument. That’s why I’m not gonna list what bands I like here. It’s irrelevant and would just push the retards off on another tangent.

There seems to be an abundance of people who think that in 25 years time everyone’s gonna look back on the 00s and suddenly realise that some kind of fucking musical renaissance took place in the same way that many people look back on the 80s now. But it’s not gonna happen.

Also. I agree with you on television. There has been great shows this decade
Old 11-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #93
Still Jack

I'm damn sure, there are enough groundbreaking bands out there, just that they're lost in the horrible cesspool that is myspacemusic.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #94
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Shut up, baby.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #95
Still Jack

Also, nothing new has been done since Budgie anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #96
Malice In Wonderland

I stand by the statement that nothing new has been done since Cole Porter.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #97
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Just listen to the very first song of their latest album and if their unorthodox approach doesn't hit you in the face then you're not paying attention. Brand New have a liberal use of progressive time signature changes and jarring tempo switches
Lol. Keep in mind that I did ask you for your reasons why you think the band is unconventional and not to just copy and paste some pseudo-babble from some faggy webzine but fuck it, lets have a look at what you’re getting your nappy all wet over.

Do you even know what time signature is? You realise that when you jack yourself off upstairs in your mom’s bed when she goes away on holidays that you’re in all likelihood changing time signature every so often also? Does this make you a king among masturbators?

Musicians have been changing time signature during songs since classical times. Who are Brand New’s time signatures supposed to be unconventional compared to? Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Tool? And even if they are, so fucking what? Most bands these days probably don't change tempo as often as Brand New because they're worried they'll end up fucking up their songs. Just like Brand New do.

Quote:
and a clear influence from Lightning Bolt-esque dissonant noise rock and mathcore runs through their unique brand of alternative post-post-hardcore, until for their next song they will inexplicably transform into a low-key mellow indie band. If you've only listened to their first album then sure, they're just another pop punk band
So basically what you’re saying is that they don’t really know exactly what already existing genre to copy, so they’re content to just pour warm wet shit all over all of them? Coz I agree with you there. The only remarkable thing about that band (because when all's said and done they're not remarkably bad by today's standards) is that they manage to intertwine and fuck up sooo many different styles per song.

Also, I’m not going to listen to entire albums by any piece of shit band you can pull out of your ass. Give me track titles so I get straight to the crux coz what I’ve seen is this (which is bottom-tier emo bullshit), this (Yawn, lol at the layered voices though) and this (Even though it was hilarious seeing 30 year old men scream like angsty teenagers I did eventually have to turn it off and "save myself").
Old 11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #98
JCC

You're talking down to me. That's funny, I like that.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #99
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
You're talking down to me. That's funny, I like that.
I was patient enough.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #100
JCC

Patient enough for what? You were wrong, I was right. You kept on being wrong, I kept on being right. So, what, you felt that your 'being presented with the truth' quota had been passed and decided to play at being an asshole? Trust me, man, I can totally appreciate using insults to bring a little fire into an argument, but I usually reserve it for when I am right and they are wrong and they've become a whingy little fag playing from the 'abrasive big boy on the internet' handbook to divert from their own ignorance, but you're the whingy little fag and you're the one trying to tell me, who is clearly right, that I am wrong through flaccid insults like saying I beat off in my mom's bed. I beat off in my mom's bed imagining that your argument is a pussy and I'm brutally fucking it like a sociopath letting go of his daddy issues. That's pretty accurate except for the fact that your argument isn't a pussy, it's just the verbal representation of the fact that you're a stupid cunt and should lie in front of a fucking train.