Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
raggedyanne

Parenoid Record Companies

It used to be that music was written to be performed and enjoyed by others. Now artists are so paranoid that two kids in a talent show need to get permission from the record company just to sing along. What are your views on music. Does it belong to anyone besides the composer? Should the record companies have this much control?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Splintered

Since this deals with IP (Intellectual property), for some reason this would seem like it'd belong in the politics section. However, that's a moot point to argue.

Anyway, I think that the record companies are only harming themselves. I'll certainly respect their right to hold their copyright, but I believe that by installing DRM, they're not curbing any loss of music. DRM really restricts the individual, and makes it harder for them to get music. It doesn't keep the market fair, and usually only serves as a stumbling block.

Blocking guitar tableture, lyrics, and parodies are all fine in my recordbook, because I support derivative works. I think that the level of control they're asserting is, once again, only damaging themselves, and that for the market to function properly, there must either be no competition, or competition. In this case, you'd need a good amount of competition. Such apprehensive legal stances that are taken only attack the average consumer.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Draconysius

I think that if I band covers a song by another band, the original band should at least be in the credits. But I don't it should be anymore than that.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
I second what Draconysius said.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
IsolatedReptile

I think it should be up to the artist how much it's restricted. If they don't want anyone getting hold of the rights to playing the music, then they should lock it up somehow, and take the appropriate legal actions. However, if they don't care, as long as credits given when it's due I don't see what the big deal is.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #6
Draconysius

When artists create art, they have to let it go, because it then belongs to the public.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
When artists create art, they have to let it go, because it then belongs to the public.
I don't know if you meant create art and show it to the public, but if you did, then I agree. If you meant just as they create it, then I don't agree. As a poet, I'm very possessive of my work. It's like a child. I don't mind hearing opinions on it, love it or hate it, but it's mine.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
It used to be that music was written to be performed and enjoyed by others. Now artists are so paranoid that two kids in a talent show need to get permission from the record company just to sing along. What are your views on music. Does it belong to anyone besides the composer? Should the record companies have this much control?
I agree. The record companies and the publishing companies are getting waaay too paranoid, and selfish. Does the work of an artist belong to that artist? Of course it does. But as Draconysius said, once the artist punlishes it to the world, it becomes part of the public consciousness. The artist's work should always be given credit though, of course.

I call this issue that is going on "digital freedom". By using technology to restrict distribution of artist's work, they are only harming themselves. Then there's the issue of downloading music files from the Internet. Well, I can only speak for myself, but I use downloading software as a way to find music, see if I like it or not, and if I do like it, I purchase the CD. It is a more full experience to be able to have the actual CD with the artwork and full resolution fidelity. Being able to hold it in my hand and have it on my shelf is a superior investment than just having an over-compressed MP3 file on my hard-drive that is missing 50% of the original wave form that is on the official CD product.

Internet distribution of music also serves to help promote the artist. Instead of being selfish and paranoid, they should be glad that anyone is even paying attention to their music.

Lighten up, people. Stop the control-addiction.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #9
IsolatedReptile

That would be great Vako, if everybody did it that way. The problem is what you do is the minority. They very small minority. So they aren't paranoid, people are just bypassing buying the work if they do like it and not paying for it in the end.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote