Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
freakteans

me

well..

before introducing myself i'd like to tell u ppl that I am a wannabe goth and not a goth as of now...the net so far has provided very poor information about gothic culture...most of it is about german tribe and shit...so i basically joined this community to learn more about gothic culture...wud u ppl help me become a goth???????

now for an introduction...well i can't answer the questionaire 'coz most of it doesn't apply for me...but still i'll give u a general info about me...

i'm shreyasi bose...cls 12...from INDIA...if u can't get it from my name then lemme inform u that i'm a girl....

lemme kno what else do u want to know and i'll answer ur questions...
freakteans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
bleedingheart344

My brain... too many things to say. 1. Answer the provided questions. 2. Proper grammar is appreciated here and is taken seriously. 3. It IS about the germanic tribes, ha! If you can prove yourself by adhearing to these points, you may be welcomed here.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
freakteans

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
i am a student of cls 12...studing humanities..my subjects are english,bengali,political science,E.V.S,history,sociology and psychology...
i like listening to all kinds of music...i used to write poetry but of late i can't seem to write more than 2 lines...

2. Where are you from?
INDIA

3. Who is your favorite author?
i read all sorts of books...recently i've stopped reading lovey dovey books...i mostly like thrillers...
so i don't really have any favourite author as of now..

4. What are your favorite films?
i don't give films much importance so as to catagorise them as my favourites..

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
nuthing in particular...haven't given wedding a thought really

6. At your funeral?
well i'm a Hindu and we are burnt after death..and music is not played at the funeral..soo...

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
i want to sleep and not wake up the next day...

8. What kind of casket would you want?
not applicable for me

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
jeans and tshirts

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
i can no longer trust anyone blindly..

11. What's your favorite band?
none

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
i am in cls 12...i'd like to study psychology further...

13. Why did you join?
to be honest i joined this community to know more about gothic culture...to know gothic ways and to be one of u people...i hope u will help me be one...
Old 05-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
maggot

People. Educate it. NOW.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Draconysius

English isn't her/his first language, so please look past that.

Now, to give a brief summary...
Goth is a music-based subculture that started in 1979, England. It's basically a mix of 70's punk rock and glam rock, with a creepy macabre edge to it. Essential bands to this movement were: Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Damned and Joy Division.

Phew!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Saphyra Runa

Enh. I do not agree that we are a music-based subculture. The music grew out of a need to express ourselves. We are far more esoteric than just a musical genre. The music is just a piece not the whole pie.

Whether it be art, prose, music or fashion; each of those things doesn't necessarily bring to mind the same exact thing to each person. We are a creative group of individualists.

The subculture has evolved in the 20+ years that it has been around. Each generation brings something new to the table. While not all that is new is good, I believe that on the whole it makes us a much richer group of people.

Goth with a Sledgehammer makes a good primer.

Welcome!

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Dancing_in_rain

Namaste. Whereabouts in India do you live? I visited it two years ago and fell in love with such a beautiful country. Now I just have to find someone crazy enough to go back with me...

Anyhow, welcome. We'll get some sense into you soon enough...

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
Enh. I do not agree that we are a music-based subculture.
Can't agree with your not agreeing. Defining goth to more things than music would limit our identity. No one should be saying "All goths must write to be goths" or anything of the such.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
maggot

The thing is goth MUST be a music based culture, as I see it.

It came from punk, which had the component of music as a form of expression. it wasn't based on the evolution of punks, though; it was based on the music evolving, and the culture following it, as punk was starting to lose steam.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
3. It IS about the germanic tribes.
No it isn't. :/
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
KontanKarite

Ooohhhh...

I think India has some of the best food ever. I will never stop loving curry.

Anyway... I would say something, but there seems to be something amiss about this.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #12
freakteans

umm...could u guys elaborate on the actual lifestyle of a goth...i mean what makes u a goth in the true sense...definitely not only rock music...
Old 05-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
maggot

No, that's basically it.

Being into gothic rock.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakteans
the net so far has provided very poor information about gothic culture...most of it is about german tribe and shit...
You are most likely finding references to the Visigoths and the Goths of ancient Europe. The current Goth culture is not necessarily inspired by that, although there may be rare references here and there to ancient European tribes and their aesthetic.

Welcome.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #15
Splintered

I think you'd find more in common by looking at Gothic architecture. To my knowledge, that's still somewhat revered. But what do I know?

Anyway, welcome to the site. I'm sure we'll be able to help, but I'd like to point out, from my own point of view, that the "Gothic Community" can't even agree on a definition of itself *Points up*, so you'll have to figure out waht you believe. Other then that, enjoy your stay, and keep asking questions. Many of the members can be mean at first, but eventually they'll warm up to you.

Or flame you to death in a burning ball of Internet pwnage, with twice the hotness of regular Internet pwnage.

But we pray that this won't happen.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

Goths: We're all about music.
Goths: We began with intellectual musicians.
Goths: We're pretentious because we're smart.
Goths: We keep being smart because other pretentious goths keep us pressured to be so.
Goths: We have very good tastes. No one can tell us we look bad; we just look weird.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
Splintered

Jillian.
You look bad.

Sorry. I had to do it.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #18
Vyvian Blackthorne

Goth's foundation is a musical genre, yet I believe that the idelogy can date back to the 18th and 19th century. Come on now guys, how could the male goth not be modeled by the Byronic hero? It's the structure. And I would still even consider cetain writers in that time period to, if alive today, would have a definate fondess of our culture.

Goth is so much more than a musical genre, yet this we must know FOUNED the subculture. In my opinon just liking the music and dress is the first step, I feel exploring the philosophy and concept of beauty makes one more knowledgable of the goth subculture. Someone who soulley listens to the music and does identify with what goth truthfully is (which DOES definatly include the music) would be justt someone who evolved from being a poseur. I'm saying this because goth is a passion for me, an obsession that I love embracing.

Goth Forever
Old 05-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
Jillian.
You look bad.
Oh no you didn't!
There's only enough space for a devil's advocate in this place, and it's taken. Hell yea!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Splintered

Not if I assassinate you with my phallic Internet pistol first!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 AM   #21
freakteans

okie..i think i got some of it...

well music is definitely a part of gothic culture...a big part of it i guess...but ur lifestyle cant revolve around only music...i mean what are your idealogies?....what are your definitions of this world and the society?..why do u ppl prefer black when there are so many other wierd colours around?...why do you ppl prefer piercings when they are definitely painful?...does that mean u enjoy the pain?...

well i may hav asked a few odd and silly questions and u ppl hav all the right in the wold to be sarcastic and make fun of me...but pls do answer the questions....
Old 05-17-2007, 03:07 AM   #22
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakteans
okie..i think i got some of it...

well music is definitely a part of gothic culture...a big part of it i guess...but ur lifestyle cant revolve around only music...i mean what are your idealogies?....what are your definitions of this world and the society?..why do u ppl prefer black when there are so many other wierd colours around?...why do you ppl prefer piercings when they are definitely painful?...does that mean u enjoy the pain?...

well i may hav asked a few odd and silly questions and u ppl hav all the right in the wold to be sarcastic and make fun of me...but pls do answer the questions....

Most of the time people enjoy there pierceing not the pain, and please use some better grammer and caps where appropriate. Other then that welcome to gothic net and enjoy your time here.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #23
bleedingheart344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
No it isn't. :/
Please note the "ha!" at the end of that. It's so hard to joke on the internet.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #24
freakteans

lucretia...don't mind my asking but exactly where have i made any grammatical mistakes?...could u please point them out to me?....may be i can rectify my mistakes...i really don't think there are any grammatical mistakes as such excepting some spelling mistakes or typos as u may call it...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #25
KontanKarite

Well, about the ideas and philosophies:

Granted, this is my own view of it, so only a few will agree, but there are some that would say that I may be approaching certain aspects the wrong way. In life, there is light and dark, good and evil, joyous moments and tragic moments. The good times are always good, but it's that darker side of life that goths try to confront and turn it into something beautiful. Many of us prefer night time or rainy days because we feel a sense of comfort from these gloomy times. We get our hearts broken and many of us try our best to make it into something better than what it is by using it as fuel to power our artistic inspirations be it music, fashion, writing, painting, you name it.

Look up some actual gothic bands and read their lyrics. Though some are cryptic, many sound joyously dark and macabre.

Essentially, part of goth is to take the bad in life and make it into something beautiful.

We don't wallow in sorrow or pain, we simply take that kind of stuff and make art from it.

Anyone else agree with this? Maybe you can expand on it some more? I'm sure there's a couple ideas that I'm missing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote