Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
JoeAverageSF

A question for Goths in High School

I went to high school in the mid-nineties, and it was boring.

This day and age though, with all the weird backsliding into conservatism, it's got to be a tough age to be a gothic teenager in.

What's it like and where are you from?
j.
JoeAverageSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

I'm an anti-theistic goth with a high IQ (not bragging, but trying to make a point later in the post), extreme ideals, and a fixed but broad mindset, living in Texas and attending a Christian highschool.

You could almost taste the stuggle between my school and I some time ago.
My school has uniforms, so I don't have problems with dresscodes, but I do have some trouble with my hair every now and then.

But to tell you the truth, I have made myself a grand name in my school, of both an anti-authority figure and the smartest kid in there (nice combination!).
Even being Christian and I being anti-theistic, we have learned to coexist. It's kind of ironic, and delightfully pleasant.

It's my parents who I can't reason to allow me aesthetic freedom.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
om3gag0th666

High IQ doesn't mean anything, mine is terribly low, yet I supercede the knowledge of others with ease.
om3gag0th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
High IQ doesn't mean anything, mine is terribly low, yet I supercede the knowledge of others with ease.
With so much ease that you overshot the point of this thread, and didn't mention anything about your high school.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
korinna5555

i just get tired of groups of mallgoths calling me a poser *yawn* it gets old
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Pyre

I believe Slap Your Love and myself are the only goths, or the only people who come close to being goths, in my high school. It's difficult, really, because we both reside in the Bible Belt in a very country area. It's not as hard for him because he is Christian and his parents won't allow him to dress as he pleases, but it's a struggle for me, or rather it used to be. When I was a Freshman, and a babybat at that, I was often harassed and accused of being Satanic and evil because of the way I dressed. People would sneer at me and call me names, and generally just hassle me around. After about four years it has greatly died down, and the number of people who wear black in school has increased exponentially since my Freshman year, but there are still those people who refuse to associate themselves with anyone "different". It's also difficult to speak my ideas to anyone without worry of being offensive and getting shot down, and of course my taste in music isn't savory to many at all. It's a crippled way of living, but this is my last year here, and I will pull through.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
Kireo-Umoshiae

I live in Oklahoma (also the Bible Belt). There's seriously a church on almost every street corner or at least every major intersection. Religion or conservatism isn't a big deal for me, though. I'm a Christian, and I get lots of comments about how goths can't be Christians and the fact that I don't go to church (nor would I want to). Honestly, if these people were "oh-so-Christian" like they say they are, then they wouldn't be so quick to judge people. I just ignore that crap.

Plus, I'm a scholar that is also a devout procrastinator and everyone knows that. Dealing with peoples remarks and dirty looks is the least of my worries. There are a lot of other punks and several goths and freaks here. Most of which are also very respected scholars, so I guess we're pretty laid back here in Muskogee. We've made a decent name for ourselves.
Kireo-Umoshiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
insertwittyname

I am a sophmore in high school in the Los Angeles area. If you are a goth, punker, ganster...nobody cares. Gangster style and hip hop are very common in the area, so are the skaters and surfers. Example. If I were to walk in the mall in my black leather mini, a mohawk, and blah, I'd have a good chance of being hit on. The area is too damn mixed for any close mindedness
Old 12-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #9
Haunted House

I live in south eastern Pennsylvania and attend a school where the job description of the administration and security is that you must be easily offended, so its a struggle. Its kind of tough with other students too. Not only do alot of them toss stupid comments my way, but there are only about 3 people in my school who have a very good understanding of the gothic subculture (myself included). Its also tough and frustrating when people assume wrong things about you especially when they are to minded to be educated on what the subculture really is.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
Born Again

*Dashes for fan to relieve the overwhelming smug build up*

"Genius is knowing to stay silent as others demonstrate their ignorance."
-Eric Lau

In my high school, Insane Clown Pose T-shirts-shirts and pants that drag to the floor are about as close to "Goth" as you'll get.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Well, my school contains of two Goths. One, who gets his ass kicked because he's an ass, and me who has people scared of because I look the way I do. I go to a very small high school, only 300 kids or so. The kids at my school are very narrow minded. There are a select few who accept different people and do not care. And then there are some people who think it's pretty cool, but wouldn't do anything to be different themselves. I mean, it's not too bad. No one gets the shit beat out of them for it, but what some kids may say can be cruel. But sticks and stones may break my bones.....

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
MotherofMercies

(I've just graduated)

I was the only person in my year considered 'goth', there was one other girl considered 'pop goth' wtf? I never EVER got heckled once. In fact a lot people found me interesting in my early years and used to ask me questions. My school was mainly made of gangsters and the like, and yet I still wasn't heckled. Like Godslayer Jillian, my school had a uniform yet I still got away with wearing spikes and buckles (I used the spikes and buckles for my own protection because I live in the ghetto).

So yeah I got it pretty sweet I only had to put up with vulgar piercing rumours.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #13
Rizash

Hrm, interesting... gotta give you guys mad props for doing what you want. I never had the guts to even associate with any group of people... much the less dress as I really wanted. It was bad enough getting nicknamed webster for having an unusually large vocabulary... yet not being able to spell well... (its what I get for growing up with an english teacher for a mom, ugh)
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by om3gag0th666
Yeah, I know. That's why I wanted to state that I wasn't bragging.
Though, rejecting professional IQ tests for some singular flaws every now and then would be like rejecting Newton's studies of gravity as it doesn't seem to apply to large quantities.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #15
Child_of_Fury

I'm still in High School, writing myself out next spring...

Despite my non-ordinary clothing, pale skin and dark eye-makeup, I'm actually pretty popular. No one's ever said anything to me. At least straight at my face, but I don't care much of what they talk behind my back. There are those typical mall-goths in the same building with me (since Junior high is in the same building with the high school), and they give me sometimes a little odd looks. But they are the only ones.
Child_of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
She_Is_My_Sin

I'm in lower sixth form (6th year of secondary school). I'd say most people in my year don't actually give a hoot about me being the only goth in the year (mainly because all of the really idiotic people have left school completely now, so I don't see them anymore). It's mostly younger year kids that act like morons towards me. But then again, they're usually 11 year olds who know nothing.

Though when I was in lower school I do remember getting taunted quite badly. Some guy threatened to bash my head out with a golf club, I got attacked for wearing 'ugly clothes' on my way home once, some guy ripped my coat up for no reason & I remember getting terribly distraught because someone smeared a load of glue into my hair, in which I had to go home & wash it out.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
I remember getting terribly distraught because someone smeared a load of glue into my hair, in which I had to go home & wash it out.
When life smears glue on you, build yourself a fanned mohawk!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Draconysius

^ Ooh! NICE one, Jillian!

At my school, I remember a little clique of Goffs I was always intrigued about, but for the most part, they kept their own space and didn't cause trouble. If all the little schooly-goffs were like that, there'd be no problem.
I've seen QUITE a large number of new goffs at my old school recently, and sadly, they're pretty much Snot Topic-born living stereotypes. Times change so quickly.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:30 PM   #19
HumanePain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
When life smears glue on you, build yourself a fanned mohawk!
You mean like this?
http://www.hearseclub.com/images/gal...r_hearse_1.jpg

Old 12-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #20
insertwittyname

O.o
Kickass.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
maggot

Okay, I live in one of the safest cities in the US. Most people keep their distance from me, and I don't bother anybody. Some people are scared of me, and some people harrass me.

We have 1 or 2 mallgoths here, though, and the funny part is that she's considered goth as fuck, but I'm both called poh-zur and neo-nazi, depending on which stereotypes the person's heard.

I've noticed that I'm a trend-setter, though. People didn't really wear leather boots until I did, people didn't dye their entire head of hair until I did, blahblahblah.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #22
Pyre

A large portion of my school is made up of "mallgoths," which seemed to have exploded in my Sophomore year. When I was a Freshman and testing out the waters toward goth, there were only a few people in the school who wore a lot of black, and they tended to be the metalheads anyway. Since then it has grown rapidly, and it continues to spread.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #23
Aude Sapere

Its easy where i am, because thier is a good group of goth kids in my extreamly small school. Everyone knows everyone elses buissness, and my mom, being a teacher, said thats shes never had a problem with the goth kids, and that she favors them. "Iv never met a goth kid i didn't like" she told me once. Thats extreamly encouraging on my part. Based on what iv heard, people think im really intelligent and am a pretty cool person, and i couldn't agree more XD. *Self glorify*

But continuing with what Pyre says, a bunch of 7th and 8th grade mall goths are emerging. The middle school in combined with the highschool where i go, thats how small we are. The only scene kids are a few slutty cheerleaders who think they are cool, and i was generally annoyed when i saw them at the begining of this school year. But, o well. A bunch of the "real goths' graduated this year, which made me extreamly sad, because i was good friends with them. Thats life. No one is even scared of goths in my school, except for a few of the middle schoolers. The majority are ussually pretty open minded.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #24
HumanePain

Wow, Aude Sapere, your mom sounds really cool. You're lucky.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #25
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Most of my school tolerated me, except for the grade 9s and 10s when I was in 11 and 12... I had a small group of good friends, though, and that was really all I cared about. Most of my teachers liked me, and I got good marks. No one gave me any real trouble though. I'd occasionally get called "Freak-show" or something in the halls or on the sidewalk, but that's not bad.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote