Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #26
Saya

I know, but I'd like to live in a rural area someday and if I do it will be necessary to learn how to drive, or become completely dependent on someone who knows how to drive. I wouldn't mind driving, lets say out home where I'm from, as there is little traffic and only a few roads, but here in the city would be awful, especially downtown, even as a passenger I get so confused as to what to do, and in the winter the lines on the road are not visible. I have nightmares too where I'm driving and coming up to a light, and trying to brake but it doesn't brake in time and I always run the light. In dreams that I don't get in a car accident and blow up, I mean.

I'm wondering if I even should go in next week, I need new glasses so I'm not sure if I should wait until I have them so I know I'll pass the vision test.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #27
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
The reason why they are so strict about going at least the speed limit is because people speed to the point where speed limits on roads are made about 5-10 mph slower than is deemed appropriate so that the speed people end up going is what was desired (which just makes people feel safer going over the speed limit thus further encouraging them to speed more, it is really quite dumb). That and technically you can be issued a ticket for going 1 mph over the speed limit so tickets starting at 5 mph really isn't that unreasonable, especially since you can just flip on your hazards to avoid a ticket since it lets other drivers coming up behind you know to slow down.
So 1mph over, or 5mph under is a ticket? That really does seem stupid, I was under the impression that car manufacturers aren't obligated to make speedometers with increments any smaller than 10mph. I know you can judge to some extent the speed between markings but it's harder to do with a glance.

Here the speed cameras only go off if you go over the speed limit +10% +2mph I believe, to try to stop people breaking the limit accidentally because of inaccurate speedos. I'm also pretty sure that going 10mph under is allowed on a motorway but I could be wrong.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #28
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
So 1mph over, or 5mph under is a ticket? That really does seem stupid, I was under the impression that car manufacturers aren't obligated to make speedometers with increments any smaller than 10mph. I know you can judge to some extent the speed between markings but it's harder to do with a glance.

Here the speed cameras only go off if you go over the speed limit +10% +2mph I believe, to try to stop people breaking the limit accidentally because of inaccurate speedos. I'm also pretty sure that going 10mph under is allowed on a motorway but I could be wrong.
I dont know how many states this affects, however on the interstate here in florida(I-10, goes from jacksonville florida to L.A. california) the minimum speed limit is 40 mph, no matter how fast the speed limit is(some parts are 55, others are 70).
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #29
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

Oh you wont get a ticket unless you are going more than 7ish over pretty much for that reason but the letter of the law does not permit you to go over the speed limit at all so if a cop feels like being a dick, is way under his quota, and/or you have shitty luck then it could happen. As for going under the limit you can go as slow as you want, you just have to stick your hazards on if you are going significantly under the speed limit.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #30
Joker_in_the_Pack

Speedlimits are fucking useless.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17216...dont-work.html
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #31
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Speedlimits are fucking useless.
For the most part yes, though I think a minimum speed required for being in the left lane would be quite useful on just about every highway.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #32
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
For the most part yes, though I think a minimum speed required for being in the left lane would be quite useful on just about every highway.
I think everyone should do what they basically do now. Drive at the speed you feel most comfortable driving in. It's damn sure not a constant.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #33
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
I think everyone should do what they basically do now. Drive at the speed you feel most comfortable driving in. It's damn sure not a constant.
Teenagers whom got their permits yesterday probably "feel comfortable" doing 100 in a 55, so thats not a good idea.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #34
LaBelleDameSansMerci

People should keep up with traffic. Too fast or too slow, and one is a danger.

Saya: I wouldn't want to drive in St John's. Those hills... They're scary in the summer...
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #35
Saya

Yeah, downtown St.John's especially (although driving up to Signal Hill is pretty scary sometimes), its not organized at all. You can totally tell it was designed when the carriage was the wave of the future.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #36
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
Teenagers whom got their permits yesterday probably "feel comfortable" doing 100 in a 55, so thats not a good idea.
Most 55s are free ways, where people are driving 80+.

Also, they do NOT feel comfortable. They feel like they're right about to lose control, that's the exhilaration they are seeking. If they drove comfortably, they'd be doing about seventy.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #37
Still Jack

The fastest I've driven my personal car is 130 mph. I had to back off because I'm not sure of the speed rating of the tires, and the shocks are pretty knackered. The fastest I've ever driven in a car that wasn't mine was in a friends highly modified Citroen Saxo with a 2.0l twin turbo engine at 213 mph. I love unrestricted German Motorways.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #38
korinna5555

Quote:
a cop feels like being a dick, is way under his quota
One thing I will NOT miss about LoCo. The cops in P-ville especially have been bored as SHIT lately. >_<
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:50 AM   #39
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
No, honestly. You have absolutely no idea when to use the word whom. Every single time you've used it here it's been wrong. Stop.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #40
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
One thing I will NOT miss about LoCo. The cops in P-ville especially have been bored as SHIT lately. >_<
True but at least you have a chance of getting them to drop the ticket, unlike if I got pulled over on say 95 where it would be a state cop and if they pull you over then they have to give you at least something since they have to radio it in before they pull you over.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #41
Pineapple_Juice

If you're in the tri-state area it's a bitch too, 'cause you've got Needles Police, Mohave Valley police, Bullhead police, Tribal Police, and Highway Patrol. All on one fucking road. Fuck the 91. Fuck Arizona.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #42
Solumina

You said tri-state and I got confused since I didn't know any of the things you were talking about, but when I got to the "Fuck Arizona" bit I realized that I was thinking of a different tri-state area.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #43
Zabijej

I hate people who play "the brake dance"

...drift BRAKE! drift BRAKE! drift BRAKE! drift BRAKE!
Zabijej is offline   Reply With Quote