Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
Albert Mond

Smile Santo Gold is a scammer and a douchebag

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
According to a press release sent Wednesday, Santogold, the stallion-riding genre-mixer, has changed the middle letter of her name, thus becoming Santigold. The announcement goes on to explain, "She’s not telling you why, that’s just how it is. No unpronounceable symbol, no numbers where they shouldn’t be ... just plain ... Santigold."

In keeping with the "not telling you why" part, her representative has stated that he has no further comment. Of course, the singer's name is Santi White, but why bother with a name change now, after a tremendous wave of momentum that placed her debut album in nearly every 2008 Top 10 list?

White's name-changing fracas began, according to Stereogum, in November when a press release from the mtvU Woodies Awards referred to her as "Santi (the artist formerly known as Santogold)." The Prince-like name change didn't stick but it did draw attention to why she might've done it. Turns out that lawyers for an '80s infomercial/cult artist by the name of Santo Gold filed a lawsuit in June against White, Downtown Music and Lizard King Records, claiming name infringement. Santo Gold is seeking compensatory damages, an injunction barring the use of the "Santo Gold mark or anything substantially similar" and the recall and destruction of all items already in commerce allegedly infringing on the Santo Gold mark.

Wesley Pentz, a.k.a. Diplo, was also named in the lawsuit, which alleges that he used a sample of Santo Gold saying, "Now ladies and gentlemen, we proudly present in person, Santo Gold!" as the introduction to the Diplo-Santogold "Top Ranking" mixtape. This move, the litigation asserts, reveals the "true nature" of White's "bad faith and malicious intent to confuse the public and injure Santo Gold's career." Diplo's representation did not respond to Pop & Hiss' request for a comment.

In addition to pursuing his lawsuit, Santo Gold, whose full name is Santo Rigatuso, has also made a YouTube video, in which he states, "I'm the real Santo Gold... don't use my name to create your fame. Believe me, kid, this isn't a game." And it appears that someone recently messed with the Santogold Wikipedia page; this Google cache captures it from Feb. 7. Note the interjections of "Santi White, impostor that has stolen the name from Santo Rigatuso" and other such claims on the page.

Jill L. Abitbol of the Lustigman Firm, counsel to Santo Gold, had this to say Wednesday about White's name change: "It's nothing that's been done in accordance with any agreement with my client." She went on to say that the "litigation is ongoing" but that the name change would indicate that White "has been infringing on our client's name and has decided to change it." In another conversation today, Abitbol added, "We've taken a position that it does not remedy the infringement."

Sounds like White hasn't quite worked her way out of this pickle yet. Either way, we're looking forward to the next album, no matter what name it's filed under.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Albert Mond

If anybody remembers this ******, he's this guy who used to sell people bogus jewelry through shitty infomercials. Then he made a shitty movie. It's obvious he's just trying to scam people, again, so I hope he gets locked up.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
badteccy

I heard that Santo Gold took her name from the cult Santo Gold.
Also, lemmee get some cred by saying that I almost knocked into Diplo once. Also, "Top Ranking" is an incredible mix album.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
Albert Mond

I don't think there's a cult called 'Santo Gold'. I always thought she got her name from this guy.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
badteccy

I meant "cult" guy...not a Santo Gold cult...ooops.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote