Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:44 AM   #1
mothman

What music first got you into the goth scene? And have your tastes changed?

Full disclosure, my origin story is that in the summer of 2016 I got really interested in "pastel goth" fashion, and online spaces surrounding it were fairly full of people criticizing the use of the word "goth", as it really wasn't related to anything goth aside from surface level aesthetics. This criticism introduced me to bands like The Sisters of Mercy and Siouxsie and the Banshees - surface level stuff, but was totally new to me.

I ended up loving The Sisters of Mercy. Listening to Rosetta Stone, Big Electric Cat, and Corpus Delecti really got me hooked. I was really into the way that the guitars sounded kind of jangly and wistful, and something about the drums that I can't really describe. A lot of blog/forum posts or other online stuff recommended Clan of Xymox, and listening to their music was a weird experience for me - a lot of it sounded kind of off-putting to me, yet I was really transfixed on what I was listening to.

Today I found myself thinking about how my taste in music has changed over the past 5 or 6 years. My favorite Sisters of Mercy album used to be Vision Thing, but now I really don't care for it, and I much prefer First and Last and Always. The first time that I listened to Bauhaus, it really didn't resonate with me, but somehow I slowly started to like them more and more, and now they're one of my favorite bands. At some point along the way, deathrock really claimed my soul. I so appreciate the fine people who have ripped G-Schmitt albums and put them on YouTube.

I've heard of a lot of people being introduced to goth music through industrial, which is kind of the opposite for me since most industrial music really isn't my thing. Comparing different experiences is just interesting for me.
mothman is offline   Reply With Quote