Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #51
satanicangel66689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
No, just no

Anyone is free to mention any singer or band that they want to talk about but if they start calling shit goth when it has no connection to the genre then they will be called on it.

We really need to sticky a note or something that explains this shit so we can just link it instead of trying to educate individuals every time someone pipes up with this dark=goth drivel.
Ok, whatever. They have a certain style of goth. And gothic sound. I am not saying that they are goth :P And does it really matter anymore? :P Let people have their own opinion about "goth". I have my opinion, you have yours. Peace.
satanicangel66689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #52
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by satanicangel66689 View Post
Ok, whatever. They have a certain style of goth. And gothic sound. I am not saying that they are goth :P And does it really matter anymore? :P Let people have their own opinion about "goth". I have my opinion, you have yours. Peace.
There are opinions and there are facts. When it comes to definitions of things, only facts apply, that's why when you want a definition of something you go to a dictionary, not your best friend in high school. The things that make Goth what it is are facts, not opinions.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #53
satanicangel66689

Well I'm not here to argue about whats "goth" -_______- If I want want to believe that Evanescene has a gothic sound/style than let me. Please do not try to change my mind. I know that they aren't really "goth" but to me they have that gothic sound/style.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #54
Alan

I think Slayer has korean pop tendencies.

SHUT UP, LET ME BELIEVE M OWN STUPID SHIT!
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #55
satanicangel66689

Seriously?
Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #56
satanicangel66689

I'm not even gonna bother....Night. Peace.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #57
Alan

We gave you the decency of talking to a retard. You can't do the same to a retarded statement?
Is it that you realize that if you were to call my statement retarded, you'd see the stupidity of your own assertion?
real classy
Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #58
satanicangel66689

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We gave you the decency of talking to a retard. You can't do the same to a retarded statement?
Is it that you realize that if you were to call my statement retarded, you'd see the stupidity of your own assertion?
Look, I said that they have a sorta gothic sound/style. I did not say that they are GOTH. They have elements of goth in their music. I'm just saying that they have that sorta sound. I'm not here to argue about whats "goth" and whats not. So peace out & have a good night.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #59
Alan

"I'm not here to argue what's goth and what's not; I'm just saying the bands I like ARE."

That's grand.
real classy
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #60
Elystan

I'm here to argue about what is and isn't goth.

My central thesis is that nothing is goth.

Tier 1: post-punk

Joy Division
Bauhaus
Siouxsie and the Banshees

The definition of goth to some, there was no goth when they produced their most seminal output. All arose around the same time as a reaction to the same thing, we can loosely group them together despite being individually unrelated. Peter Murphy eventually came to embrace the label, but Peter Murphy is a cunt who had a worthless solo career selling pop music to Americans and did a Twilight cameo. You think anyone who enjoyed the hunger is watching Twilight? Twat.

Tier 2: positive punk/batcave

Alien Sex Fiend
Sex Gang Children

These guys are probably more like what goth actually is if anything at all, because the label reputedly gained currency when describing Sex Gang Children fans. Short lived, not massively popular

Tier 3: The Sisters of Mercy

The Sisters of Mercy

Need I say more? I wouldn't even call them post-punk really. Just a rock band. Nothing to do with either of the previous categories. Are they THE definitive gothic rock band, or are they THE definitive not-a-gothic-rock-band? You see the problems we're having?

Tier Z: After the Sisters

I'm not even going to list bands here, they know who they are. Allow me to quote:

Quote:
Dear Doktor,
I'm in a tenth-rate goth band. That's as good as goth bands get. Naturally, we don't have the faintest idea what the Sisters are about, but we try to evoke as many superficial similarities as possible.
Our 'original material' is devoid of substance and wit. What would you say to a whole album of Sisters songs, as played by my band and other pasty-faced Californian dweebs? Aren't Cleopatra Records always up for this kind of rubbish? We'll try to ignore everything you put out in the last thirteen years.

Fuck off.
Nevertheless this is the era which defines itself as goth rather than being retroactively defined as such by the media. Not all of it is a horrible sisters rip; there are also elements of horrible bauhaus rips and horrible siouxsie rips in there. Devoid of, you know, substance and wit, and evoking as many superficial similarities as possible.

Tier Now: "Industrial?"

Combichrist
VNV Nation
Angelspit

Well I mean industrial is a whole seperate can of worms but these guys seems to me to have more to do with Skinny Puppy than Evanescence have to do with the Banshees. The post-Sisters wannabes seem to have mercifully died off now but this stuff is still being manufactured and played at "goth clubs".

Honorary mention: I rate Interpol and the Strokes in the same broad category as my Tier 1 bands. In terms of captured energy I'd say they have more to do with those than Tier Z bands which shall remain nameless do. Until their fourth albums anyway.

Conclusion:
Goth is not Goth.
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
satanicangel66689

Quote:
"I'm not here to argue what's goth and what's not; I'm just saying the bands I like ARE."

That's grand.
No. They have elements of goth in their music :P I am not saying that they are.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #62
Alan

And they have elements of k pop too. Shut up, I can believe what I want!
real classy
Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #63
satanicangel66689

Quote:
And they have elements of k pop too. Shut up, I can believe what I want!
OK, believe what I said is stupid or whatever.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #64
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I think Slayer has korean pop tendencies.

SHUT UP, LET ME BELIEVE M OWN STUPID SHIT!
Only on the first 3 albums. They were definitely Visual Kei on Seasons in the Abyss.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #65
Kunstprodukt

try:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w4brCuUt3w
Kunstprodukt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #66
Aeon

Ok, I skipped the second page of this. Lots of ranting and not a lot of actual good suggestions for OP. On a note to the arguing - two things:

1. We live in a generation of 'I'm Too ADD for Subculture' where everything is merged into pop-rap crap and that's it. If it's dark and attracts dark, smart and weird folks, let it be 'goth'. Industrial is Industrial and I would consider it its own monster, but lots of things can be considered 'goth', which is more of an attitude than a genre anyway.

2. What's wrong with bands that sound like Sisters? They had a good sound, I wish I could hear more goth rock these days.

I DJ/host a specifically goth and medieval style party, so perhaps I can give a few recommendations?

Faith and the Muse was an obvious good one. Try also, Dead Can Dance, Qntal (not in English, but you can probably find a cool song in them), Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Rasputina, Faun, the Shroud, Rosetta Stone, Inkubus Sukkubus, perhaps also a few songs from the Cruxshadows (not the biggest fan of them myself, but 'Winterborn' remixed by Subway to Sally has a good feel) - and for the symphonic metal, you can't go wrong with a bit of Nightwish. There are more out there, but, it's late and yah,
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote