Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
cannibalnuns

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Perhaps a few have read the tale and perhaps a few have not but I was in the mood to discuss this tasty tale. I prefer to read the original text though I need a translator with a few of the words, it is only proper to do so. Many translations of the book have been less than accurate.

This is the one I used: J.R.R. Tolkein and E.V. Gordon, eds. 2nd ed. Norman Davis, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1967)

So I ask you this, what qualities did Gawain exhibit throughout the tale? What chivalric ideologies did he uphold? I will name one for starters and of course if you feel so inclined feel free to post your own for discussion.

But this thread is not only for what I first mentioned. Feel free to bring up the symbolism that appears within the tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight as well. This thread was intended for that purpose- the discussion of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. It is a classic but I am not sure how well this will prosper here.

I would like to hear other views, thoughtful ideas and even discuss it if you are in the mood to work your brain. All in all any questions, ideas, thoughts and criticisms may be put here. I just found this tale really delectable and appealing.

Do you feel this work was on of the great pieces in chivalric literature? Or are the works by Marie de France (The Lais of Marie de France) and Wolfram Von Eschenbach (Parzival) better examples? Beyond these two was there ever better examples? To give others a broader perspective on the concept or ideals on which this work was formed?.

-----

Along the way to the Green Chapel, he (Gawain) faces many harsh conditions. Finally, he comes to a castle where the lord and lady invite him to stay and rest. While at this castle, Gawain is tested three times by the Lady of the Castle. He passes two of the tests, and he partially passes the third test. He accepts a green girdle which he believes will keep him from harm, and he keeps it a secret. He finds the Green Knight, really the Lord of the Castle, who cuts Gawain on the neck as a punishment for taking the green girdle. Gawain is then told that the challenge was a test that had been designed for King Arthur’s knights. Gawain returns to Arthur’s court a wiser knight who wears the girdle as a reminder of when he yielded to the weakness of the flesh.

As a man, he was tempted sexually by this woman, the wife of the Lord of the Castle. However, he held fast to his chivalric code. He instead worked hard at being courteous and loyal. He tried to side-step her advances with clever defenses. A lesser man would have easily given in, yet Gawain held himself to a higher standard.

On day one, Gawain reminds the Lady of the Castle that she is married, but he also thanks her for the offer. On day number two, Gawain’s temper is tested. Again, he passes the test. By the third day, he is concentrating so hard on being courteous and loyal to the Lord of the Castle that he is manipulated into taking the green girdle from the lady. The lack of truth about the girdle was a betrayal to the lord, but Gawain’s human side believed that it would protect him from harm:
…For quat gome so is gurde with þis grene lace,
While he hit hade hemely halched aboute,
Þer is no haþel vnder heuen tohewe hym þat myэt,
For he myэt not be slayn for slyэt vpon erþe’
Þen kest þe knyэt, and hit come to his hert…
He does not tell the Lord of the Castle about the girdle, and this falsehood was where he faltered. He lied to his host and compromised the chivalric code and his own standards. This mistake took place because he was trying to protect himself from harm. Later, he did redeem himself by admitting his dishonesty to the Green Knight, and he learned from his experience. For Gawain, courtesy was a way of life. His conduct with the Lady of the Castle was the perfection of knightly courtesy. But as in many knights such as Lancelot he too had his faults. But I feel this is one of the many examples in this tale that shows great examples of what it means to be chivalrous and also I believe it gives one the idea of the religious ideals of the courtly knight.

I also suggest the Knight of the Cart if you are a fan of medieval literature.
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Mr E Nigma

I did indeed like this tale.

Also maybe you'd like to read all of "The Canterbury Tales" if you have not done so already. They're great stories within a story.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
Metatron

Yep, The Canterbury Tales are a definite good read...If you're looking for a fully translated version of 'Sir Gawain and the Green Night' click here.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #4
Nike

Great thread!
I will write more about this, as soon as I find some time...I've read many works of chivalric literature in their original language and I'm really happy to see there is a thread about that tale, and that it is open for for discussion, aslo in comparison to other pieces of medieval litarature.
So much for now, I'll chime in with a proper post as soon as possible.