Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Born Again

Too Tough For Pink

From courttv.com:

BUFFALO, Mo. (AP) — Prisoners returning to a southwest Missouri county jail damaged in a failed breakout will find a new color scheme — pink with blue teddy bear accents.

The Dallas County Detention Center is being repainted a soft shade of pink in an effort to better manage sometimes volatile detainees. Dallas County Sheriff Mike Rackley said he decided to update the look as part of extensive repairs necessary after inmates set a fire and vandalized the interior in an escape attempt.

"Basically, if they are going to act like children and commit a childish act, then we'll make a childish atmosphere," he said. "And its a calming thing; Teddy bears are soothing. So we made it like a day care, and that's kind of like what it is, a day care for adults who can't control their behavior in public."

A month after the Oct. 8 incident, the county's 30-plus prisoners are in neighboring jails while repairs continue. The new paint job includes stenciled blue teddy bear accents.

"How do you feel tough in a pink atmosphere?" Rackley said of the new color scheme, which was inspired by similar redecorating efforts at jails in Texas and Arizona.

It's a trend that's backed up by science. Researchers have documented the ability of certain colors to evoke emotional and physical responses.

"It's certainly viable," said Mike Carlie, a professor of criminology at Missouri State University. "There have been positive findings that show that certain colors stimulate and excite, and other colors, I guess you would say 'soothe the soul.'"

One shade of pink, called Baker-Miller Pink, has been nicknamed "drunk-tank pink" because of its use to calm violent prisoners.

Rackley said he's willing to try anything that will keep inmates safe and secure in the aging facility, built in 1990 and often near or above its 40-person capacity.

Rackley said damage caused by the fire and ensuing vandalism, plus the cost of housing inmates elsewhere, already has exceeded $41,000, "and we're still receiving bills."

At least six of the jail's 33 prisoners were involved in the escape attempt.

"They got into the shower, because they knew there were no cameras there, and kicked a hole in the ceiling," he said. That done, they stuffed pages of a book in the hole and started a fire, hoping to burn through a plywood barrier and gain access to the air ducts.

The fire melted electrical, telephone and Internet cables in the ceiling, cutting off power in one cell block and disrupting about half the video cameras.

He said eight inmates have been returned to the jail, but they are forced to remain in their cells 23 hours a day because of the construction.

"They haven't said much about the color scheme," Rackley said.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Broken_Pixy

LOOOOOOOL well done really
Broken_Pixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

*laughs hard* That's really quite great. I love it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Firestorm

Ha ha ha! How amusing!
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
insertwittyname

O.o I wish I wish I could send a ex-friend to this! <---my lame attempt of rhyme. Pink is the color of evil to the evil people, and a ex-friend of mine who now only wears Hot Topic clothing used to wear pink daily as she was Prep. Please include the white tenis shoes with pink hearted shoe laces now.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
NME

Oh, man, I can't stop laughing! What's next, Hello Kitty underoos?
NME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Neurosis

Well, I would believe so that a message that has always lingered in the color pink is feministic, which super machismo men always look down upon. By promoting the color pink in prison facilities will most likely anger the prisoners, being held back by their machistic intuition. It slows them down believing to their eye that it is silly to have them be angry in cute and fuzzy-loving clothing. It diminishes that intiuition.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
CptSternn

I fail to see how this falls under the heading os 'spooky news'.

Futhermore, this is nothing new. Hage started it back in the early 1990's when he did it to his jail - prior to his CourtTV show. Since then a dozen jails around the states have done it. Now, the trend is passe. And how it found its way to here is beyond me.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...?p=440159&rl=1
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM   #9
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Eh, I've seen psycological reports about the calming of effect pink a few years ago. It never fails to bring a smile to my face of the idea of a good ol' boy made over in something pink. Always nice.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
VamPirate

LOL! That's FANTASTIC!
VamPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Aude Sapere

That is hillarious, i can just imagine it now.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I wonder if they'll do this up here.....I would love to see that.

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #13
Minyaliel

*litterally rolls on the floor laughing*

That's pure genious. Poor guys, they'll soon repent and beg the management to change the interiors, I bet. I know I'd go crazy being stuck in such a place...!
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I bet if more jails did this there would be less criminals. Seriosuly, I wouldn't commit a crime for that reason. Not that I would anyways.....

-Zach Galifianakis
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 AM   #15
Child_of_Fury

Psychologically speaking, an idea like this is marvellous. It's not easy for grown-up men go on a rampage in a pink room with teddy bears, because they will feel somewhat awkward in trying to pull the tough guy act in a nursery room. I would venture to say this is more efficient method to calm down prisoners than punishments and threats. I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out. Does anyone know?
Child_of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote