Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
Aude Sapere

an edgier look...

Lately I have grown quite bored with my hair, but have absoltly no idea what to do with it. I want it to look edgier and more unique, because right now it's almost down to my waist and is wavy/curly, so im against going too short. What do you think?

[img=http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5766/38771526vw1.th.jpg]
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
LoveAtFirstFright

I know I'm a guy, but what about layers and adding some color? Highlights and what not.
LoveAtFirstFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
nightmare syndrome

How about you keep the initial length, and make that the base layer, and add a few layers on top?
Have your top layer at the jaw line, second layer around the shoulders, and maybe another one around mid back?
Then, jag/razor the ends out with either jagging shears or a razor-on-a-stick.
Since you have an oval face and really pretty eyes, I think this may play up your face.
Getting bangs also might give you an "edgy" look, and also accentuate yours eyes more.

But incase you are against getting your hair cut....
some ideas maybe:
1) Dye in a different color. Any color you like, but I recommend a dark one because it shows off your pale skin and light colored eyes.
2) Do the dark hair/light highlights combination. Looks cool on everyone.
3) Change your part to a side part. Easy way to insta-change your look.

If I have anything else...I'll post again.

Good luck!
nightmare syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

More "edgy" cuts are pretty short, so you might be out of luck unless you get something really innovative.
You could always dye it a colour like strawberry and straighten it or something.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Aude Sapere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
More "edgy" cuts are pretty short, so you might be out of luck unless you get something really innovative.
You could always dye it a colour like strawberry and straighten it or something.

That's what I was afraid of. I think ill put some layers in and pick up some purple hair dye for now. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Graveyard.Crow

Keep your long hair, color it black, the use fake hair to add color. You could also try hair falls.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I have to agree with this. It might not need be terribly short, but shorter hair does help plenty.

Although I will admit, with how long you said your hair was seeing liberty spikes could be interesting...
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Graveyard.Crow

Well edgy isn't always for eveyrone. With her long hair she could have a very nice Victorian look
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Aude Sapere

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I have to agree with this. It might not need be terribly short, but shorter hair does help plenty.

Although I will admit, with how long you said your hair was seeing liberty spikes could be interesting...

What's a "liberty spike"?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
shelldoo

I am a dreadlock fan. Dreads are definitely edgy.

If you aren't looking for something *that* edgy, I would agree that a victorian look would be very pretty on you.
shelldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
Mirazatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aude Sapere
What's a "liberty spike"?
A "Liberty Spike" is a kind of mohawk type thing kindof. Theres two different versions.

1) You spike your hair so that you look like the statue of liberty. The whole crown thing.

2) You have one row of absolutly HUGE spikes going like a mohawk. One of the guys in my old school had these. it tends to be 4-5 spikes. He had 4, and each one ws like 1.5-2 feet long. His is the only graduation picture without a cap on, they couldent get one to stay on his head ^.^
Mirazatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 AM   #12
nightmare syndrome

Don't do liberty spikes.
I mean...it's such a huge hassle to maintain, and are you sure you want to shave your head? Didn't think so.

I say that you should just shape your haircut in something that's not plain middle parted in natural hair color/texture, and you would be fine.
Gradually find what you like to do and what you look good in.
If you keep your length, you can modify shorter. But it doesn't work the other way!
nightmare syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
maggot

Liberty Spikes are not mohawks. There are liberty spiked mohawks, but liberty spikes are just spiking your hair up into big spikes. Many people tend to cut it into a mohawk, though.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
Aude Sapere

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Liberty Spikes are not mohawks. There are liberty spiked mohawks, but liberty spikes are just spiking your hair up into big spikes. Many people tend to cut it into a mohawk, though.
I don't have enough hair gel for liberty spikes i guess, lol. And There is no way im shaving my head.

Im going to do some research on the "victorian" look thats been mentioned int his thread before, and again, thank you all for your input.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #15
emeraldlonewoulf

I can sympathize. I too have long dark hair that isn't dyed and i don't want to cut. This doesn't mean we don't have plenty of options,however. If you like the dread look, but don't want "real" dreads that won't come out, try doing chunky, different sized braids all over your head. It gives a similar look without the permanence or hassle. just use plenty of gel to seal the ends and you won't need ponytailers.

another thing to try is small buns all over your head. (Think princess Leah, but smaller and a lot of them).

IF you want color but not dye, try hair wraps. I make mine separate and then pin or braid them in. The traditional ones are made from embroidery floss. you have several lengths of different colors and wrap around the center bunch for as long as you want, then switch colors. You don't have to stick with embroidery floss though. you can use yarn, fabric strips, fishing line (although that is a little harder to work with) pretty much anything flexible. I haven't tried it but that fleurescent plastic lacing might work.

with anything, it is easy to make the wrap first and then braid it in. you just make a string off the end that is almost the same as your hair color, and braid that strand in, leaving the other part to swing freely.
You can make the wraps around your hair, but they are a pain to take out if you don't want to cut them.

also, check out synthetic dread and falls, they can be a lot of fun, and come in any color imaginable.

you can use beads in with all the above mentioned, and the wraps can look really good in an updo as well.

hope some of this helps.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
I had a mohawk and you don't need a lot of gel, infact more gel makes it heavier and harder to keep up. What you need is lots of hairspray and patience.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
KontanKarite

String your hair through some black rubber tubes and hang some dramatic colored ribbons in your hair.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #18
IsolatedReptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aude Sapere
I don't have enough hair gel for liberty spikes i guess, lol. And There is no way im shaving my head.
I was mostly joking about the liberty spikes. They're a very hardcore thing to do, and unless you're dressing to fit them they can look fairly lame.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #19
Heatherzilla

Your hair would probably look really good braided. I wish my hair was long enough to braid. sigh.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #20
Aude Sapere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherzilla
Your hair would probably look really good braided. I wish my hair was long enough to braid. sigh.

I did this thing a couple years ago where i corn rowed half of my head half way down my scalp, and it looked really cool. I was able to do the braiding myself, because im good like that. I think I'll give it another shot this weekend if i get lucky, that, or beg my mom to let me dye my hair purple again.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
DarkHeartedDemoness

Allow me to be redundant (just posted this in another thread) and recommend synthetic extensions. You can get some really cool ideas here:
http://www.hairpolice.com/

http://www.hairpolice.com/services_p...nthhair/01.jpg Wouldn't you love for your hair to look like this? It's non-damaging, for the most part. The only issue would be a textural one, as the synthetic hair is typically quite straight. You could go with synthetic dreads, too, and look like this: http://www.hairpolice.com/services_p...thdread/10.jpg Or not. But you can get cool ideas, anyway.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Underwater Ophelia

I gotta say, I don't really like that many different colours in hair. I think it looks messy, or like it happened by mistake.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #23
DarkHeartedDemoness

Well, I did blue & my natural brown... http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/xnguela/Pic14.jpg I thought it was much nicer and more tasteful, but not particularly "edgy".
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Well, I did blue & my natural brown... http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b3/xnguela/Pic14.jpg I thought it was much nicer and more tasteful, but not particularly "edgy".
I think it's pretty edgy. It sticks out, but yeah, definitely more tasteful.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
DarkHeartedDemoness

You couldn't even see it when I put it into a pony tail. I guess that makes it versatile, though.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson