Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
KissMeDeadly

WARNING: Diss 'punk' and you will listen to Justin Bieber

So I made the folly of, in my drunken haze, posting on facebook about my dissatisfaction with punk music. I even went so far as to claim that punk music is dead and has no message anymore (The only thing that made it worth listening to before) and that it was very simple music (POWER CORD POWER CORD POWER CORD YEAH).

I awake today with a myriad of comments telling me that:

A) I am a retard

B) I only listen to mainstream crap like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga

C) I need to watch SLC Punk!

I've seen SLC Punk! and I recall at the end the main character decided that punk culture is stupid and went to Law School instead. I've also listened to a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of punk bands, new and old. The Clash, Sex Pistols, Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc. I don't know. It all just sounds so similar and so boring. It's lost it's way. For example, a disturbing amount of people consider crap like Avril Lavign and Green Day to be punk (But only OLD Green day, right?) No. It all sucked. I'm sorry to break it to you.

/rant
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Alan

SLC Punk is shit.
Tell them that a mohawk-sporting commie friend of yours realized punk almost in its entirety is shit because people are not into the music because of the politics but rather pretend to be into the politics because of the music.
Tell them that if they actually knew some REAL punk icons and REAL punk bands, they'd realize that Crass, Dead Kennedys, and Black Flag would be on your side on this argument, while most other "stud my jacket like a disco ball" punks are too busy listening to the Casualties hear about how punk they are because they have big hair and sniff glue.

And you could end with "... oh wait, do you even know the bands I'm talking about, or are you only familiar with Green Day?"
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Grausamkeit

Tell them Social Distortion sucks and quit acting like they're 'punk' just because they put 'Ball & Chain' on the jukebox while they're playing pool.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Still Jack

Conflict, A//Political, Subhumans, Discharge, MDC and Chaarged GBH to name a few...
Old 09-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
MissCheyenne

Subhumans!! My Mum just gave me some Subhumans vinyls she had kicking about in the cupboard. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
*Twitch

I've heard the argument of pretending to be into the politics because of the music, but I "found" punk later, when I was already interested in the politics, just didn't know it. I say "found" because I didn't really find it on my own. After a while of talking to my mother about the news/current events/politicians etc. she went down to the boxes of her old stuff and came back with Never Mind the Bollocks, and told me that she thought I might like punk. Turns out she was right. She still sends me new bands every now and again.

And I would agree that SLC punk is shit. It's a matter of big A little a. If you live for chaos and destruction, then you either give up, die, or go to prison. If you live for the ideals of freedom, liberty, and peace, then there's plenty of room to grow old and crusty.

No message? Tell that to the punks here who regularly host shows where the cover is a donation of non-perishable food to the food bank. Or the ones starting up an Anti Rascist Action chapter, or to our local food not bombs.

I'll agree that fashion punks can be annoying as fuck. But really, those kids are the ones that will "grow out" of punk before the age of 25. Thank fucking god. I'd also like to say that there are plenty of people (like myself) who thinks the whole studs thing is cool enough, and personally I really like wearing band patched clothing, as it's usually either bought from the band themself, or I made it myself. There aren't as many of the latter as I would like, but my skill is slowly improving.

In conclusion, punks STILL not dead, despite the many many thousands trying to kill it.

Oh, and P.S. KMD: Think what you want, but if you're ever in Ottawa drop me a line, I'd love the chance to try and change your mind.
Who condones this bloodlust?

-CONFLICT
*Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
*Twitch

Sorry for the double post, but I ran out of edit time.

As for message being the only thing of value in punk, what about FUN? I love dancing my ass off to some skapunk, or stuff like the Dreadnoughts or the Beer Barons (don't even really know what they play).

My guess is that you feel the way you do because you are only aware of the "radio punk" or "popular" stuff? Try going out to your local scene and giving the real new blood of punk a fair chance. You may have already done that of course, but as a lot of people I know that are aware of the new "punk music", that weren't even aware that there was something like 40 punk bands living within an hours drive, I think it's a fair suggestion.

-CONFLICT
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
AshleyO

Punk is... mortally wounded. Goth is totally dead though. Hell... it probably wasn't even alive to begin with.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
*Twitch

Think what you want. Ah well, "being" something was always stupid. I guess technically I'm not even a "punk" as far as things go. I happen to love punk rock, and my local scene (or rather, the people in it), so I'll keep rocking and pushing for a better world until the last drop of Punk's life-blood falls into the gutter, to mix with the rest of the trash

-CONFLICT
Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Saya

It could be pretty regional. Here our punk scene is reaaaaaally sad and when there's politics its only lip service (and its not just punk, really) and NOFX covers. I was kinda shocked when I went to Winnipeg, just by how many outspoken anarchists there were there and I didn't get to see much music, but I like Propagandhi and now they make more sense to me I guess XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Spooky Spencer

Okay, for the sake of helping an eleven-year old (almost twelve) with his music education, what would you call "essential" punk (and is there any chance any of it is on iTunes?)
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #12
*Twitch

Youtube is your friend.

Sex Pistols
The Clash
Crass
Conflict
Subhumans
Exploited
Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Bad Religion
MDC
The Adicts
D.O.A.
Charged G.B.H.
Oi Polloi
Nausea
The Misfits

Start with that, anything you like, just ask around for similar stuff. Here, I'll even get you started.

Bloody Revolutions - Crass
Gunned Down - GBH
Holiday In Cambodia - Dead Kennedys

SKULLS - Misfits
Fuck You - Subhumans

-CONFLICT
Old 09-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
*Twitch

I'm not sure how much will be available on itunes, as punk rock traditionally doesn't get along too well with the buisness types.

-CONFLICT
Old 09-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
Grausamkeit

I like Aus-Rotten.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
*Twitch

Awwww yeah Aus Rotten. Fucking awesome band! On that note; Modern Day Witch Hunt

-CONFLICT
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
*Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
It could be pretty regional. Here our punk scene is reaaaaaally sad and when there's politics its only lip service (and its not just punk, really) and NOFX covers. I was kinda shocked when I went to Winnipeg, just by how many outspoken anarchists there were there and I didn't get to see much music, but I like Propagandhi and now they make more sense to me I guess XD
I haven't heard much from out east, though I'm going to see Dead Peasants Revolt soon, and I think they might be from NFLD. And well, what can I say, we're in the capital, it would be scary if everyone was apolitical. Also Propagandhi is awesome. Yay for peace punk!

-CONFLICT
Old 09-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
Mr.Doobie

Am I the only guy who thinks 70's New York punk was the coolest, and that since then punk has been more or less stagnating in a pool of uncreative sheeple?

I mean, my area is just kind of made up of the same tired cliches preaching the same political doctrine that I don't feel they entirely understand, playing really bad music, and being "TTL STR8EDGE HXC 4EVUH" douche canoes?

Either that, or they're pop punky little kids that have irony fetishes of hipster proportions.

I dunno, maybe my primary problem is that most punks I've met have had rather limited musical taste and are proud of this. The most diverse music they will listen to is reggae/ska, and that's only because Joe Strummer said it was cool, and even then they'll only listen to Choking Victim or Streetlight Manifesto, or other all white punk bands that dilute their reggae/ska with punk. That shits cool and stuff, but it just ain't reggae, and I feel like most punks who have said they like reggae are nearly as bad as your average college age bro who says he loves reggae but has only ever listened to Bob Marley's "Legend" compilation.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #18
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Twitch View Post
I haven't heard much from out east, though I'm going to see Dead Peasants Revolt soon, and I think they might be from NFLD. And well, what can I say, we're in the capital, it would be scary if everyone was apolitical. Also Propagandhi is awesome. Yay for peace punk!
They are from here, but they don't play here very often XD if a band is good and not specifically a Newfie folk music band, they'll probably leave is the best rule of thumb.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #19
JCC

Punk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fuck the Sex Pistols though, they were a boy band, Johnny Rotten was the only member approaching sincerity and he was more interesting after he left.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
Ben Lahnger

Hey! I'm going to see Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock tomorrow night.

So YEAH ... Suck it, bitches! ... er, um ... I mean fuck everything, innit?

*derp*

Hell if I know much about punk. I remember Craig Ferguson saying something about the fact that he and his buds formed a punk band because it was an easy way to get chicks; you didn't need to be able to play well at all, a few chords and a lot of attitude and you were golden.

I always did like The Ramones though. I don't know if they're even considered punk any more.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #21
Corpsey

Didn't punk 'die' after 90 days? I remember listening to a friend of mine talking about music back in his day and how the punk movement only existed for 90 days, everything after that lost its supposed 'authentic' element.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #22
Spooky Spencer

All this homework and now a history lesson? Starting to feel like school in here...
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #23
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Spencer View Post
All this homework and now a history lesson? Starting to feel like school in here...
Don't make us get the yardstick, Spooky! I had teachers that used to wave those things around threateningly & deftly and they weren't even nuns!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
Ben Lahnger

NUNS! Where? WHERE?!?

_0

Oh, uh ... never mind ... just having a flashback.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #25
Sinjob

It's really hard to actually be taken seriously when it comes to dressing like a punk, same thing with goth, because nowadays it just seems like a total getup stuck in the past. Punk will always be alive, but it's message has taken newer forms with much variety and variation (and I'm not talking about the difference between edge fags and little tryhardcore fucks).

It's almost like a culture that has so many different fucking terms that you could easily slip into the cracks and get lost in the pit of bullshit while making way with numerous embarrassing intepretations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
SLC Punk is shit.
Tell them that a mohawk-sporting commie friend of yours realized punk almost in its entirety is shit because people are not into the music because of the politics but rather pretend to be into the politics because of the music.
Tell them that if they actually knew some REAL punk icons and REAL punk bands, they'd realize that Crass, Dead Kennedys, and Black Flag would be on your side on this argument, while most other "stud my jacket like a disco ball" punks are too busy listening to the Casualties hear about how punk they are because they have big hair and sniff glue.

And you could end with "... oh wait, do you even know the bands I'm talking about, or are you only familiar with Green Day?"
^^^ALL DIS BABEH^^^
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote