Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #101
Saya

That reminds me of a interesting article I read a while ago, about the social causes of obesity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/ma...nted=1&_r=1&em
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #102
AsylumVoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
There are more reasons people are overweight than glandular issues. I have a very good friend who had all sort of cancer and she's been on some medication for years. She was able to quit the medication about a month ago and not even trying has lost like 30 pounds.
Yeah, some asthma medications as well can make you balloon, my girlfriend's brother was on meds for his asthma and ballooned, as soon as he had to stop taking it the weight dropped in literally a month.
I know that it can be very difficult to maintain a slender figure for some people with diabetes as well, there is a problem with girls not taking their insulin to get thinner. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21692426/
See, this is where the bitchy comments from both sides get you...people willing to risk their lives to be thin.

It makes me so angry, larger ladies shouldn't bitch about slim girls and thinner ladies shouldn't bitch about overweight girls, it's HORRIBLE! The problem isn't in fat or thin, can't you realise this? The problem lies in people's attitudes towards eachother, fat doesn't mean that you're lazy, thin doesn't mean that you have an eating disorder. People come in all different shapes and sizes, we should educate more on being healthy which doesn't mean being uber slim so you look pretty, it just means having a good well being. Making comments that basically suggest that someone is unloveable because of their dress size, is disgusting. Not the dress size itself.
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 AM   #103
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I can assure you a size 12 is definitely NOT in any way shape or form a plus size for a woman of approx 5'4 - 5'8. It also depends on the body shape of the individual and where their fat is distributed.

On a very short woman a 12 may look like a plus size. But on a woman of average height and weight distribution it is perfectly normal.

People also seem to be forgetting muscle mass here. If I lost all visible fat right now, I would still weight too much "medically" due to having a lot of muscle.

You may find that many very athletic people will tend to be technically overweight and/or of large build depsite having very little fat on their bodies.
Plus size=overweight. A woman who is a size 12 will very nearly always be overweight. Only extreme body proportion cases would make this not so.

And obviously, we're not talking about weight from muscle.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #104
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
There are more reasons people are overweight than glandular issues. I have a very good friend who had all sort of cancer and she's been on some medication for years. She was able to quit the medication about a month ago and not even trying has lost like 30 pounds.
Do you think it is more common that a random fat chick in a mall has cancer, or just got done eating large fries and a milkshake?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #105
DRM

I vote large fries and a milk shake, that's usually the case with me anyway.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #106
Still Jack

I love the way people have to let the frustrations of their own shortcomings and inadequate sex lives out on people who have nice lives...
Old 09-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #107
creature6

time to have a hobnobs , does any one wants one?
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #108
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
I love the way people have to let the frustrations of their own shortcomings and inadequate sex lives out on people who have nice lives...
...who are you talking about?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #109
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
I'm somewhat overweight, could probably stand to lose a bit.
Korinna, keep this on the DL, but there's some buzz that you may have been nominated to win Greatest Feat of Self-Delusion at this year's Gnet awards. You have some stiff competition, with xjin saying she isn't racist and all, but if you claim to actually be skinny it could be in the bag.

Quote:
I'd much rather have someone interested in me because of my personality, not my looks. It goes the other way, too - though I do have my personal aesthetics, I'd still choose personality over looks.
I mean, yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the case with everyone, but, despite what the goddess may have told you when you were guzzling fried mead this midsummer, there's an infinite number of better looking girls with whom any guy interested in you would also be compatible.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #110
Stormtrooper of Death

Again, are these comments really neccessary?
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 AM   #111
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
I would make a case for them being necessary, but I'm sick of being seen as a villain.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #112
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Plus size=overweight. A woman who is a size 12 will very nearly always be overweight.
I never said plus size wasn't overweight. I do know for a fact that a size 12 is definitely not a plus size. Plus size goes from 16 upwards. 12-14 is an average/medium and anything under is a small.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #113
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Yes. Yes they are. Females have little value other than that afforded them by the male gaze; we must be reminded of our inadequacy frequently in order to keep us subjugated and consuming.

Remember folks, capitalism loves misogyny!
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #114
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Yes. Yes they are. Females have little value other than that afforded them by the male gaze; we must be reminded of our inadequacy frequently in order to keep us subjugated and consuming.

Remember folks, capitalism loves misogyny!
I disagree, Red Menace. Every attractive woman who takes care of her body is a puppet of the system, devoid of the self-awareness that might defend her from the predations of patriarchy.

Porkers of the world unite!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #115
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Yes. Yes they are. Females have little value other than that afforded them by the male gaze;
You just made lesbians cry.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #116
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I never said plus size wasn't overweight. I do know for a fact that a size 12 is definitely not a plus size. Plus size goes from 16 upwards. 12-14 is an average/medium and anything under is a small.
Uh...where?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 AM   #117
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
I would make a case for them being necessary, but I'm sick of being seen as a villain.
You are?

mssg2shrt
Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #118
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
You are?

mssg2shrt
Yeah. I can't fucking say anything without someone getting pissy.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:49 AM   #119
honeythorn

Quote:
Uh...where?
Pretty much everywhere in my experience (which is a fair bit considering I AM an actual plus size) I can absolutely promise you a 12 is not a plus size.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #120
AsylumVoid

Quote:
Pretty much everywhere in my experience (which is a fair bit considering I AM an actual plus size) I can absolutely promise you a 12 is not a plus size.
I agree entirely.

Ophelia, here is your "plus size", "overwieght" size 12 model

http://www.retrovixens.com/products/...red-vixens.jpg

That woman, is NOT plus sized...she is fine. And even if she was! I've seen plenty of beautiful plus sized girls as well, I'm a plus size (uk16) and plenty of people think I'm attractive. Being overweight doesn't suddenly make you a disgusting slob who can't wash and who has to wear bed sheets with a whole cut out the top for your head.
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #121
gothicusmaximus

12 is the smallest plus size, and thus the most controversial among them. However, it is still technically a plus size. Google it.

Those thunder thighs would make Zeus jealous.

Quote:
And even if she was! I've seen plenty of beautiful plus sized girls as well, I'm a plus size (uk16) and plenty of people think I'm attractive. Being overweight doesn't suddenly make you a disgusting slob who can't wash and who has to wear bed sheets with a whole cut out the top for your head.
Why aren't any thin people arguing against the plainly observable fact that 12 is a plus size?
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #122
Cicero

In the modeling/fashion industry size 12 would definitely be considered plus size (and I'm talking Australian size 12, about the same as the UK 12 and smaller than the US 12), but that doesn't necessarily mean 'fat'. Plenty of plus size models don't look the slightest bit overweight because they're well proportioned and healthy. They just don't fit the mould of a fashion coathanger.

That's on models though. I'm pretty sure most 'plus size' clothing stores cater towards the 16-24 crowd, which might be where the confusion arises...?

Clothing size is a completely inaccurate way to describe body type anyway. Too much variation both in the clothes and the bodies that wear them.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #123
Hella

Quote:
"Overweight" is a medical definition. Being overweight can cause diabetes, heart disease, stroke, etc etc.
That's why it's bad.

Not only that, but it is limiting. Don't try to tell me that chick can climb a flight of stairs as efficiently as I can and not have to catch her breath.

As far as LOOKS go, it's the same as anything else. Like brown hair, some people like it, and some people don't.
The fact of the matter is, however, that it's not healthy, and humans are programmed to dislike what looks unhealthy.
I'm sorry but.. WHAT?!

Humans are indeed programmed to dislike what looks unhealthy BUT men are programmed to find the females that can reproduce as much healthy childrens as possible.

You want to talk about primal instincs?

Women with wide hips and large breasts are seen as ( putting it blunt) good 'baby making machines'.

Wide hips for an easy birth and large breasts for feeding the infand.

Since beginning of time men has seen 'fat' girls as the perfect mate.

Women with no fat on them whatsoever are a fashion statement...
Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #124
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
I'm sorry but.. WHAT?!

Humans are indeed programmed to dislike what looks unhealthy BUT men are programmed to find the females that can reproduce as much healthy childrens as possible.

Women with wide hips and large breasts are seen as ( putting it blunt) good 'baby making machines'.

You're headed in vaguely the right direction there with all the childbirth stuff, but human sexuality happens to be a teensy bit more complex than that, and in a world of chubby chasers surely thin women would have been bred out of existence by now...

I know from experience that plenty of men still prefer thin women with no boobs. It's the only way I ever got laid.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #125
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hella View Post
I'm sorry but.. WHAT?!

You're stupid.
I have big tits and hips. I'm also not a fatass.
Fat girls are not a healthy mate, and in fact breed unhealthy babies.