Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
SonOfLilith

Gothic Bars/Clubs/Discos

What is your favorite place to freak out and listen to music?
SonOfLilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
madweasel

NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY

This could be a really excellent thread for those of us who travel a bit, so let me throw out some things in the greater NYC/NJ area. If anyone has anything from the other borroughs please tack'em on.

I'm in NYC, and while some of the older institutions that helped pave the road here (The Limelight and Bank come to mind) are long dead, a few really great spots and periodic events are still going on.

Weekly I'd say the two biggest things going are QXT's in Newark (its easy to get to via cab or just take the path Train, also good for NJ people who don't want to come into NYC) and Albion which once upon a time was known as 'The Batcave'.

QXT's has a much more cozy feel to it, three rooms on Fridays, two on Saturdays. Fridays is 'ladies night' at the bar there, so expect more of the jeans and polo crowd mixed in, but the downstairs room tend to scare them off so you can get either a strict industrial or goth night without any drama from the Panic at the Disco fans. But the DJ's are usually dead on in any given room, and people are here to dance so its a fantastic community.

Albion is a massive goth/industrial club in midtown manhattan, three rooms with I believe a fourth opening soon. Mainfloor does mostly EBM/Darkwave with some bleed over into other genres. You probably won't hear 'This Corrosion' played here unless its the spiral tribe remixed version, but you'll get plenty of older Apoptygma Berserk and VNV Nation. Recently the main floor has been seeing a different set of DJ's from the established one so I'm still getting a feel for it. Theres a strict 'gothic' music room which is delightful pretty much every week, and the downstairs area is more for power noise, so figure Combichrist and Grendel are the easy listening tunes for that area. Typically a bit more fashion concious, a lot more people dress upfor this club, it can be quite impressive.

Monthly events include Byte which is usually on I believe the second or third Sunday of the month and is just an amazing party. Also Contempt, which happens every third Saturday, and is really something for the scene by the scene. Requests get played here, and there isn't any sort of fashion requirement or expectation. Kind of nice for slightly older people like me who may not be feeling the need to do more than put on black clothes.

Not sure about the status of a few other things I haven't been to in a while. Mondays used to have a weekly 'night' are the Kourova Milk Bar down in the village, and I think there was 'Black Cat Tuesdays' at Otto's Shrunken head every second tuesday of the month. Not sure if either of those really happens anymore.
madweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
slave1

Disintegration in Denver Colorado. They have great music and the club is dedicated to the Goth scene:

DISINTEGRATION SATURDAYS
Goth/Industrial/NewWave/Deathrock/Synthpop/EBM mix
w/DJ Slave1 & guests
@ 2101 Champa
Denver, CO 80203
Free before 9:30pm, $5.00 after
21+ only

Disintegration's own *********** and MySpace w/ playlists and pictures:
http://community.***********.com/disintegration_/
http://groups.myspace.com/disintegration
And check out our weekly PodCasts at:
http://www.clickcaster.com/disintegration
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
DarkGuardian17

Hengelo (Overijssel) in the Netherlands there's a good Gothic bar/club with great music, it's called: Nul74.

Yeah that's my place
DarkGuardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
Delkaetre

In Northern Ireland, try these two in the Rosetta Bar, Belfast.
-Cornucopia. First Saturday of every month, £3 in before 10pm, £5 after. Runs from 9pm to 1am, plays Goth, Industrial, 80s, etc. There is little or no metal, and if you're looking for Slipknot, Korn or any of that you can bugger off to the Venue with the rest of the kiddies. The bar is reasonably priced and serves pretty much anything you're after except absinthe. The people are decent, though if the guy taking your money at the door is very pale with black hair, a widow's peak and no eyebrows, then there's a chance you'll be insulted. Marty's just like that.
-Unity. Our Industrial/EBM/Darkwave/Noise night. Here be everything from Cruxshadows to Combichrist, Apoptygma Berserk to Zeromancer. If you request it, they may play it. if you request it and buy the DJs a drink, they will play it. Unless it's a mind-numbingly stupid request like Kylie Minogue (and even then, with Kitten and _encryption_'s sense of humour...). Costs the same as Cornucopia, runs on the same hours, and takes place on the third Friday of every month.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
PersephoneX

hmmm...depends:

i'm feeling punk: Wynberg Sports Club, Lepht, Indie Armchair
i'm feeling 100% Metal, goth and core: Mordor
i'm feeling sober: Gandalf's
i'm feeling mellow: one ring

I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
slave1

In Denver Colorado, Disintegration at Club 2101 of course. I DJ there on Saturdays:

DISINTEGRATION SATURDAYS
Goth/Industrial/NewWave/Deathrock/Synthpop/EBM mix
w/DJ Slave1 & guests
@ 2101 Champa
Denver, CO 80203
Free before 9:30pm, $5.00 after
21+ only

Disintegration's own *********** and MySpace w/ playlists and pictures:
http://community.***********.com/disintegration_/
http://groups.myspace.com/disintegration

And check out our weekly PodCasts at:
http://www.clickcaster.com/disintegration
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
badteccy

Nocturne Wednesdays at Shampoo in Philly. Unfortunatly, it is mostly "00nce 00nce" instead of gothic rock...ah well.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #9
PersephoneX

there are few places of refuge...lucky for us, one guy got the bright idea of opening a couple of "alternative" clubs...and after that, someone opened a store that sells clothing, merch and music 'till 10 PM...its pretty cool...
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Darkbender423

Here in Florida there are a few good clubs. In my town we have one lame club that has a "goth night" in between the redneck and hip hop nights. I drive to Tampa to the Castle. The castle rules. We get a lot of good concerts though. The Castle is the best club around this area though. Ybor City is a one mile strip of clubs, all different kinds, and they close the street to traffic on weekends and people just mill around and get fucked up. Most of the goths just stick to there little domain though. A lot of fights and shit happen around there sometimes. The Masquarade was a very cool place but it closed down a year ago. If I had the money I'd open a badass place, but I don't.
Darkbender423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Delkaetre

Insanitorium is closing soon...
I shall need to open a goth night of my own in the Essex area.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #12
Slap Your Love

Quote:
-Unity. Our Industrial/EBM/Darkwave/Noise night. Here be everything from Cruxshadows to Combichrist, Apoptygma Berserk to Zeromancer. If you request it, they may play it. if you request it and buy the DJs a drink, they will play it. Unless it's a mind-numbingly stupid request like Kylie Minogue (and even then, with Kitten and _encryption_'s sense of humour...). Costs the same as Cornucopia, runs on the same hours, and takes place on the third Friday of every month.
Oh, this sounds oh so good, I wish I lived near something as meaningful to me as this, all I have here is my local coffee shop I live at. =\
Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Darkbender423

I think my favorite club of all time is The Wreck Room in Oklahoma City. This club has been dedicated to the lifestyle for the last 20+ years. It holds so many found memories of my youth and I visit there everytime I go back to Oklahama. Yes Oklahoma fo all places!! There are many clubs in that little strip of 23rd st. most of them being heavily gay clubs, but I never had a problem with that. It is a fun area to hang out in. There is a motel around the corner with a B&D shop and it is also where many people crash for the weekend and party.
Darkbender423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:48 AM   #14
VampiricYouth

In Cape Town, South Africa:

Gotham @ 89 Lower Main Road, Observatory.

Example setlist from DJ Corvus:

10 - 11:30
ikon - she's in parties
clan of xymox - out of the rain
mesh - crash
pride and fall - border
apop - shine on
the cruxshadows - marilyn my bitterness v2
clan of xymox - be my friend (request)
last dance - wonderlust
black heaven - kein ton
angel theory - possession
diorama - light
dismantled - attention
death stars - synthetic generation
rammstein - du hast
marilyn manson - personal jesus
ministry - rio grande blood
horrorpops - emotional abuse
zombie girl - we are the one
and one - military fashion show
enomine - mitternacht
lamia - o domine jesu christe

12:15 - 2:00

vast - touched
virtual embrace - fuck you
unheilig - ich will alles
wumpscut - soylent green
massive in mensch - sunday bloody sunday
clan of xymox - consolation (request)
dairy of dreams - she
blutengel - angel dust i
sisters of mercy - dr jeep
bauhaus - slice of life
love and rockets - haunted when the minutes drag
merry thoughts - pale empress
darkside cowboys - happy
elusive - the circle never ends
scream silence - without a trace
deine lakaien - love me till the end
zeraphine - toxic skies
the cure - this twilight garden
sketchy - shattered in aspect
tristraum - eyes wide open
muse - starlight
snog - don't go down to the woods
bondage fairies - gay wedding
reliquary - trilogy
miranda sex garden - peepshow
VampiricYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #15
käthryn

In Los Angeles / Hollywood.. I enjoy Bar Sinister:
http://www.barsinister.net

2 Floors, a fetish area, an indoor/outdoor patio for smokers and fresh air, cool people, nice decor, excellent DJs, and decadent drinks that are some of the best I have had anywhere.
käthryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Does anybody know of any clubs in the southwest of england? =/
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #17
Crimson_seele

In my hometown, in Lima, Peru there used to be this very small place called Bauhaus. It wasn't really 100% Goth, it was more post-punk than anything, but lots of more grown-up Goths used to go there (mainly people in their late 20s early 30s who grew up with it). I used to love it, but I think they closed. In any case, that one was BY FAR the best place I've ever gone to listen to music in my life...

Now I live in Illinois and I have NO idea about where I can listen or dance to music like this.... what a shame.
Crimson_seele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:15 AM   #18
VampiricYouth

There's a very artsy, almost dada weekly event hear called Evol, where you'll hear the best of old school Goth, New Wave, No-Wave, Post-Punk, Garage etc...Lots and lots of indie kids.

www.myspace.com/evol69hopestreet
VampiricYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #19
Valerius

I wish there was a gothic club here, but alas, there are none. That's why I will put up my own. It'll be called Club Twat.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #20
Momento Mori

Cincinnati, Ohio: The Dock (Darkotica), Thursday (and no other) nights. The Dock is a really hardcore gay bar that goes Goth on Thursday. The club has two halves, the front area has a bar, a coat check (invaluable), a pool table, an ATM, and clean, although not totally gender exclusive bathrooms. They show horror movies to darkwave music. This is the chill/moping area. In the back DJ Mike Danger plays mostly EBM. I'd like more Darkwave back there but can't really complain. There is a bar in the back, if you are nice to the experienced bartenders back there (and tip them well) , your drink may be incredible! There are four concrete pylons for show-offs to dance (and get mocked usually). In the very back, there is a merch table and a torture garden, where you can get tied up and whipped for a small fee. Whippings start at feather boa to no-holds-barred-you-signed-the-release-you-sucker bull whippings.

Fantastic scene, your social status there seems to depend on how nice you are. Expect someone to buy you a drink, and do it for a stranger. Extremely friendly crowd with almost no mopers.

My only, only lament is borne from the laid back attitude of the bar, they let in Tourists, and some of the Ken-Doll gay crowd sometimes makes the mistake of showing up and trying to "take back" "their" club. While there are a few gay men there who are not Goth that are regulars, they don't cause trouble and are quite accepting of our culture. It's when Ken comes in looking for a date on a predominately straight night, and gets upset when the guys say, "Ew, you're all in khakis and Abercrombie, I'm straight, wrong night!" We had a guy last thurs who came in (on a -17C night, mind you) wearing a loincloth made of PVC, who got on a pylon and did this fucking-the-air thrust dance. A couple of the regular gays put a dollar in his "outfit". A small clique of Goths came to marvel. I told Amber to stick dollars in his thingy, she said she wanted the money for cigarettes, but LeeLoo said she would do it. She she climbed the pylon and proceeded to fuck the air with the guy, put a dollar or two in his thing, then Amber went up and took all his dollars and went and bought cigarettes.

The club closes at 2:30 by order of the Reichsmarshall (State of Ohio), which sucks, but if you are nice, you'll get invited to an after party.
Momento Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #21
CptSternn

http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/clublist.html

But yer man is right about Albion - prolly the strongest night on the east coast in the states right now, followed closely by Shampoo in philly.

Of course we have Dominion here Saturdays in Dublin. It's pretty good, since its the only weekly event going in the country...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote