Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Mollins

Terry Pratchett

I'm just wondering if anyone else here is a fan of this wonderful author?

Two new books have recently been released, 'Wintersmith' and 'Making Money', both are set within the Discworld, but 'Wintersmith' is following the Tiffany Aching story line, thus, is geared towards children.

This guy is one of my favourite authors, I'm currently working through all of the Discworld novels, I've recently just read 'Feet of Clay' and 'Men at Arms' both were excellent novels following the City Watch.

But yes, discuss Mr. Pratchett, and his wonderful novels here!
Mollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Zakyath

I've only read several discworld novels, but I love him anyway <3
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Mollins

I need to buy Making money, but I'm going into town today, I'll get it, and some more books from the library.

If I don't, I'm going to go librarian-poo
Old 09-25-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Depravity

Huge fan of Mr. Pratchett!! I own all of his discworld novels, all three of the Tiffany Aching books and The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents as well. Making Money must be the newest of the new and I must find it. XD! So tell me whom do you like more? The City Guards? Rincewind? The Witches? Death?

Wait stupid question there. Who DOESN'T like Death? Even cats like Death!
Depravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Methadrine

Corporal Carrot and Angua rocks.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
Mollins

I don't know which novels I like best, it's too difficult to decide.

I like all the story arc main characters best! XD
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #7
honeythorn

BILL DOOR! Aww I love him. And I also love Moist Von Lipwig from Going postal ^^ I haven't read many of his books, I need to read more really. I get a whiff of new paper from Waterstones and I'm off! There's nothing like the scent of a new book...
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
Mollins

Hahaha, I love the smell of new books XD

Moist is the main character of Making Money also, much like what he does in Going Postal, he revamps the AnkhMorpork mint
Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
honeythorn

MOIST??? Really? Oh gods..now I have to buy it. I love him! Is he still with Adora belle dearheart?
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
HeWhoMustNotBeNamed

Vimes and vetinari, gods bless 'em.
Just bought Making Money but haven't had the chance to read yet as i'm half way through Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix.
My fav discworld has to be Feet of Clay, i love all the Nightwatch stories.
HeWhoMustNotBeNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
silverbaal

I've read Good Omens. It's hilarious. It's The Omen meets Monty Python. It's cool cause he's able to make really good points using comedy. I'll have to read more from him.
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #12
Depravity

Yes you must! For a first delve into the Discworld series of novels I'd recommend either you read "Mort" or "Guards! Guards!" Both give you a good representation of his writing style throughout most of the discworld novels as well as being introductory to Death( in Mort) and the city watch characters (in Guards! Guards!)

While there are a few novels before these in terms of chonology for a first time reader I would recommend waiting because those first few books he's just starting on creating the discworld and as such is just getting into the swing and rhythm of writing the stories. Not that they aren't just as good, but a first timer might get turned off because style wise there is a difference between the first few books and all the rest. ^_^;
Depravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #13
silverbaal

Wasn't Discworld turned into a series of movies? I remember something about the witches from Macbeth...

I'll check out "Mort" and "Guards! Guards!" as soon as I have time. Ooh. I just found them on a torrent. I'll download and start a-readin'.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Ashlyea

I love Terry Pratchett books. I have to say though that my favourite two of his books are Thud! and Going Postal. I just got done reading The Fifth Elephant and I'm currently reading The Color Of Magic.

I have to say that the best characters (or at least in my opinion) are Angua, Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Moist, and of course Death. Lol, Death is so casual.

I like the way Terry Pratchett combines the importance of duty (or something along that line) with well laced humor. ^^
Ashlyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #15
silverbaal

Man. I'm already 3/4 of the way done with Guards Guards. I notice now since this is my TP book that his books are so easy to read. That's not a bad thing. You can read it at a fast pace and not have to worry about missing anything. You still get both the seriousness and important aspects of it and the comedy. And yes, it's VERY funny...I have to learn to read more comedy. I'm waaay too into the serious lit.

I'll have to check out more from him.