Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 07-20-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
CptSternn

New Right-Wing Website

I was reading an article the other day I found online, in the Examiner, a rag much like the Enquirer, for the craíc and they had a piece on this new website which sounded interesting.

MediaMythBusters.Com. Like the name? They claim to be an independant media group that monitors news stories and tracks stories found to be false. Sounds good right? Like something we needed prior to the Iraq War?

Well, after checking out the site, it appears its just the opposite of what it claims to be. It's a right-wing site that has been setup to mimic the Wiki, and blasts all news stories that look bad for the bush admin.

In fact, the dispute all of the Iraqi massacres, even some where the soldiers have been convicted, and claim the media outlets (AP/Reuters/etc) are all lying about the events and also claim the war is going well, but left wing news agencies are lying about the progress as well.

What do they cite as their source? The Iraqi government website press releases and the white house press releases which contradict what a half dozen news agencies are reporting.

The sources are laughable at best. I mean, for example...

http://mediamythbusters.com/index.ph...at_Um_al-Abeed

The 'Massacre at Um al-Abeed is disputed. They claim AP, CBS, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, NPR, and the New York Times all reported this event, which they argue never happened.

Their sources for saying this never happened? The Iraqi government press release and, I'm not making this up, the Mudville Gazzette in Mudville West Virginia.

Yes, every news agency got it wrong, but somehow a lone reporter from Mudville WV was able to sus out the truth in Iraq.

Good to know we have die hard reporters like those found in Mudville. Oh wait, visit the Mudville Gazzette homepage and you find...

It's a personal blog with pictures of an Amercian flag and gw bush plastered everywhere.

So the main source they cite claiming this event never took place - in this article and a many others - is a personal blog from a guy who lives in the sticks of West Virginia - the only state where you can legally marry your cousin at age 13, and serve roadkill because its legal to eat there (not a joke).

They spent a lot of time making this site appear legitimate, but anyone with a web browser can google their sources and their arguments to find that the whole site is chock full of mis-truths and right-wing propaganda.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
ruaidh

Hi there,

I'm curious as to why this Examiner publication brought up the website at all. Was it simply an aside in another article? It's odd that they should mention it seeing as the number of potential conservative voters in Ireland is minute at best.

It seems a bit unnecessary to rag on West Virginia that way. Did you have a run-in with a mountain man as a child?

ruaidh
ruaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
ArtificialOne

It is actually being proven now that the Haditha massacre was actually ficticious. It seems that the media used video footage from insurgents and took the word of insurgents about what actually happened. It's still under investigation by JAG right now and it seems many of the civilian casualities were from "human shields" used by the terrorists. Which mind you is the same tactic the terrorists use everywhere, just like in the red mosque. But never mind the facts.

I think stern just hates anyone of an opposing view to exist. Nevermind the Moveon.org crowd and all the George Sorros stuff out there. I wish they would inact the fairness doctrine again <I'm not for it, but just out of spite>. It'd destroy CNN and Msnbc on tv, even though the've both started some conservative talk shows.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
It is actually being proven now that the Haditha massacre was actually ficticious.
Really? Much like the other claims you make, you never have any evidence other than your own single lined statement to show.

Quote:
I think stern just hates anyone of an opposing view to exist. Nevermind the Moveon.org crowd and all the George Sorros stuff out there. I wish they would inact the fairness doctrine again <I'm not for it, but just out of spite>. It'd destroy CNN and Msnbc on tv, even though the've both started some conservative talk shows.
You claim the media has a left leaning bias. Truth be told, its the opposite. Look at the run up to war. What you see today is more equal than what you saw prior to the war. With the grim reality really seeping out now and with pundits from both sides getting equal air time, it may appear to be liberal, but thats just in comparison to the very right-wing views that for years after bush took office were permeating out there.

Todays media is much more balanced than after 9/11 when everyone was waving the bush flag.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote