Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
Shyantra

Arrow Hilary Clinton as president

Let the debate begin.

Would Hillary Clinton be a good first 'woman' president?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/....ap/index.html
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Shyantra

I don't think so because that would screw up everything the citizens have worked for.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Frankenscott

No, if she could live with the lies and treachery of her own marriage and not do anything about it, how can she be trusted to "right" the wrongs of Washington?
Frankenscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Crying_Crimson_Tears

NO!!! She would not be a good President period.

VOTE FOR BARRACK OBAMA!!!!

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #5
delicti

If Clinton gets the Democrat nomination, her rise to Presidency is all but guaranteed. She has already done considerable harm to women's rights, and her record of dishonestly is undeniable. It would be a shame if she we elected under the banner, "First Woman President," as her presidency is likely to be unpopular, and it will only set professional women back more.

I would much rather see Obama become president than most of the clowns in the field right now. Unfortunately, with the Clintons at the helm of the Democrat party, there's only a slight chance of that actually happening.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Linen

Kucinich would make the best president - hands down. Unfortunately, he probably doesn't have enough support to get the nomination. I agree with ALL of his stances, and he is the only candidate who keeps an unwavering stance on the issues. He doesn't make excuses or lie to make people like him. He is the only politician I can think of who is honest.

I did like Hillary, and I still do to an extent. My biggest problem with her is that she doesn't believe in gay marriage, but just in civil unions. I think gays should have all the same rights I do. There is no good reason to deny them these rights BEYOND peoples' personal religious beliefs (and who said you could be the judge of someone else's moral decisions?). There is no proof that it will "corrupt" marriage in any way.

I used to think Obama was pretty cool, until he went on that tangent about starting a war in Pakistan. What the fuck, Obama? One war isn't good enough for you? He also doesn't believe that gays should have equal rights... okay so races are equal, but not sexual orientations? Good to know. :::roll eyes:::

Edwards seems pretty cool. I need to find out more about him, though.

The others? meh.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Porphyria

From the point of view of a woman, Hillary Clinton is a frigid, ball-busting bitch who couldn't even keep her own marriage on track. Fie on her.

I like Edwards. He's not for prayer in schools, but is promoting a "meditative period" during which the kids can pray, meditate, take a nap or whatever. That's cool. He's pro-life, but admits that abortion should not be banned because the resulting backroom procedures and Mexican slash-jobs would do more harm. He's also in favor of gay marriage as a legal matter, but against requiring religious institutions by law to marry anyone who wants to be married. Church and state and all... Maybe it's too much to hope for a *gasp* moderate president.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM   #8
LadyLucretia

Clinton as president scares me about 60% as much as the prospect of Bush being president did. I.E. it's pretty fucking scary. The Clintons are the political dynasty personified - dishonest, out only for themselves, willing to do anything to get ahead, etc. Most politicians are somewhat like this (why else would they go into politics?) but the Clintons are like regular politicians on speed and lots of hateorade.

Obama seems promising, but I need to see more of how his platform evolves. His wife needs to keep quiet if only because her blunt statements often distract from Obama's candidacy.

Edwards - again, need to see a more solidified platform. He's definitely having image issues - his "poverty tour" got far less media coverage than his $400 haircut. Ouch.

On the Republican side - Rudy is too tarnished by his personal life. McCain blew it. Romney comes off as too much of a flipflopper. We'll see who else matter soon, but they're not going to win anyway.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
CptSternn

Clinton sold out every American when she scuttled her own health care plan at the behest of the insurance companies and their lobbyists.

She went from being able to make a difference, to being the biggest corporate stooge in Congress, now receiving more money than any other Congress person from the health care industry lobbyists.

Why anyone would want a person like that as President is beyond me.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Circle V

I've yet to hear from an actual Clinton supporter. I've never spoken to one-- online or in person-- or even so much as seen a 'Clinton 08' bumper sticker. I'm beginning to suspect that they're a myth.

Ron Paul 08!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLucretia
The Clintons are the political dynasty personified
The Clintons are a political dynasty personified?! I'd say that that title goes to the Bushes. We've already had father and son, and there's already talk about Brother Jeb running for the next election after this upcoming one. Before the Clintons can be considered a political dynasty, Hilary would first have to be elected.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
MaguMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
I used to think Obama was pretty cool, until he went on that tangent about starting a war in Pakistan. What the fuck, Obama?
Yeah. His credibility went flying out the window with that one. After all of his diatribe about Iraq, he's going to pretend to stand on a moral pedestal and suggest taking unilateral action against yet another nation?
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #13
raineofblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
Kucinich would make the best president - hands down. Unfortunately, he probably doesn't have enough support to get the nomination. I agree with ALL of his stances, and he is the only candidate who keeps an unwavering stance on the issues. He doesn't make excuses or lie to make people like him. He is the only politician I can think of who is honest.

I utterly and totally agree with Linen. Kuccinich ,whose name I spelled wrong, really is the perfect candidate. He is not only honest, but peaceful. You know, he constantly states that we should negotiate with Iran and avoid violent conduct while all the other politicians are whining about how Iran is going to blow the USA up unless America drops a nuke on them. Dear Dear friends, the fact is: the more nukes you drop on people the more people are going to hate you. Did you neglect to see that example from Iraq alone?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineofblood
I utterly and totally agree with Linen. Kuccinich ,whose name I spelled wrong, really is the perfect candidate. He is not only honest, but peaceful. You know, he constantly states that we should negotiate with Iran and avoid violent conduct while all the other politicians are whining about how Iran is going to blow the USA up unless America drops a nuke on them. Dear Dear friends, the fact is: the more nukes you drop on people the more people are going to hate you. Did you neglect to see that example from Iraq alone?
YAY!!! Another Kucinich supporter. I love his slogan,
"All young Americans deserve a world without end, not a WAR without end." That sums up my feelings perfectly. Have you read/heard him speak about his views on the other big issues? He's AMAZING.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
The Clintons are a political dynasty personified?! I'd say that that title goes to the Bushes. We've already had father and son, and there's already talk about Brother Jeb running for the next election after this upcoming one. Before the Clintons can be considered a political dynasty, Hilary would first have to be elected.
I never said that the Bushes weren't. As I said, Bush's election was more scary to me than the prospect of Hillary's. But there is something icy and calculating about the Clintons that bumbling ol' Dubya lacks which makes them scarier on a personal level for me, though the Bush's have done more political damage.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
badteccy

I saw Hilary speak in Philly, and it was amazing. She is a wonderful speaker, very easy to connect to, and very smart. She has my vote.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Clinton sold out every American when she scuttled her own health care plan at the behest of the insurance companies and their lobbyists.

She went from being able to make a difference, to being the biggest corporate stooge in Congress, now receiving more money than any other Congress person from the health care industry lobbyists.

Why anyone would want a person like that as President is beyond me.

Hmm, funny, if you go to her website her healthcare plan is all laid out. Federal Funding is used quite a bit in this plan.

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/feature/healthquality/

Or do you mean a plan for socialized healthcare has been scrapped?

I am actually quite amazed you don't like Hilary. Who would you like to see as President Mr. Sternn?

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #18
raggedyanne

I have a deal with one of my friends that if Hillary gets elected, we're stealing his uncle's truck and going to canada.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
Beneath the Shadows

How many people said the same thing about if Bush got re-elected? And how many of them actually did it?
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #20
raggedyanne

I'm not sure. I can't vote and my friend just got his license, so now's our chance to scram.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #21
Saphyra Runa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
How many people said the same thing about if Bush got re-elected? And how many of them actually did it?
I think the only two people I can think of offhand that made good on it were Johnny Depp and CaptSternn. That may not be true in either case but it just sounded good and their timing was right.

I need sleep, I am just getting goofier than usual.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #22
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I have a deal with one of my friends that if Hillary gets elected, we're stealing his uncle's truck and going to canada.
That's what I would like to do if another Republican - ANY Republican - gets elected. Fuck that. Like we really need this country to be any more conservative.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
MaguMan

So if a Republican gets voted into office, people are going to relocate to the, "neighbor to the north," where Conservatives still hold office?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #24
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaguMan
So if a Republican gets voted into office, people are going to relocate to the, "neighbor to the north," where Conservatives still hold office?
They do?

Damnit...I had imagined Canada as this hippie wonderland. ::boohoo::
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #25
MaguMan

Yeah, the current Prime Ministry, Harper, belongs to the Canadian Conservative Party. 2006 and 2007 were interesting years for elections. While the US took a left turn, everyone else (minus Latin America beneath Mexico) took a right.