Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #126
Edward

I was at the Museum of Natural History in new york yesterday, and two things happened, one, a kid walked up to the exhibit next to me, I looked down at him and smiled, and he screamed and bolted, and also a mother and her two children walked past me and she said "if you two ever dress like that I will shoot you!" unfortunately I didnt get a chance to reply to the lady.

"Red velvet lines the black box."
~Peter Murphy

*Holding a gun to Robert Smiths Head.*
Smith: DON'T KILL ME!!!
Me: STOP EATING!!!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #127
raggedyanne

I flew into Petaluma airport with my dad to get lunch at the diner thats at the field. This cute little kid was there with her parents and when we walked to our seats, stood up on her chair and kept chanting "look mommy, someone has red hair!" The poor mother then proceeded to explain to her child that some people "just dress differently." It was funny to me because I had recently dyed my hair with "napalm orange" streaks.

Another incident also includes children. I was picking my sister up from school while wearing my stud covered, black denim motorcycle jacket and demonia ranger platform boots. While waiting by the car, some little preppy kid ran by me, looked behind him, ran back, stopped in front of me for a closer look, then ran back to his trophy-wife mother other like the road runner from wylie coyote.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #128
Evander

Quote:
Seems like, since I haven't changed at all as a result of these conversations, they'd have realized I'm just saying whatever I think they want to hear.
That's the thing about people... when they hear what they want to hear, they want to keep hearing it. Thus they do. Pretend I said something prolific there.

Hmm. Well, as for the thread topic... well, some kids once for whatever reason thought I should be inducted into their kiddie cult (I mean, of course, "dark satanic cult"). It was even myspace based. Wowza. Turns out before asking me the girl became "scared" (?) and was convinced I was "attacking the cult" and informed the "leader", Vladdy, of my (?) intentions (???). That went on for a month. Funny thing is, we never had a direct conversation. Sad thing is, it WAS serious on their part. I wish I remember the conversations (yeah, gap there being indirect, but this was relayed by a few people and, well, skills?).

Kids are strange these days. That was the same one who had a "wiccan" spell on invisibility--it recommends wearing black and casting it at nightfall.

Some other kid asked if I was a depressed gypsy. Hmm, I'm sure there's a reference there I missed.

Girl in my old neighborhood used to swear my dad was a vampire (and wouldn't relent) ... hah, right, a very robust vampire.

Quote:
It was funny to me because I had recently dyed my hair with "napalm orange" streaks.
Ooh, that actually sounds pretty [looking]. (If you don't mind a somewhat indirect compliment from a stranger--complimenting the idea, of course.)
Evander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #129
raggedyanne

I like getting compliments from strangers, so thank you!

I find it entertaining because I wear a very dark yet eclectic style. A friend once commented "yesterday you looked like a lesbian, today you look like Mary Poppins. What's tomorrow? Anime day?" So I decided it should be and wore a school girl skirt with my friend's cat ears.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #130
NachtSorcier

Bah, nobody ever says anything funny or interesting to me, they're all uncreative. However, two things stick out in my mind.

Once in school, I was walking through the hallway and someone said to me, "Why are you Satanic?" At first I thought he said, "Why are you so manic?" I just kept walking, as usual.

Last Fourth of July my uncle asked me if I was wearing make-up, owing to my pale skin. I said "No, I'm just pale." He said, "Damn, boy, you need to go out into the sun once in a while." Not feeling like joking I simply said, "I'd rather not get cancer." It was simple enough to shut him up. I go through the same damn data with my family everytime I see them. It gets old.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #131
psyches_reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphyria
My grandparents have been reassuring everyone that my "gothic thing" is a phase for the past 12 years.
My mother is like that. She keeps saying one day I'll stop wanting to dress like a pathetic little whore. I'm not quite sure how wearing loose, black clothing that covers my whole body is whoreish, but then again I was wearing a choker (OMG how slutty!!!).

My dad is very understanding on the clothing front, but thinks my vegetarianism can easily be cured with a bacon butty.

After nine years.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM   #132
Porphyria

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyches_reflection
My mother is like that. She keeps saying one day I'll stop wanting to dress like a pathetic little whore. I'm not quite sure how wearing loose, black clothing that covers my whole body is whoreish, but then again I was wearing a choker (OMG how slutty!!!).
I have no idea what's going on with the "whore" perception either. My grandmother always told me I dress "sexual" even when I was wearing a lot more clothes than the other girls my age. I never really understood that.

My parents, on the other hand, are hippies. They've never been overly concerned with the way I dress. With them, it was always more about my grades in school and whether or not I was drinking enough ginseng tea. I credit them with my nearly total lack of issues.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 AM   #133
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead_Stagehand
(...)her expression of incredulous disgust and her attitude of "How the heck did I raise a daughter like this?" was kind of humourous. (...)
Though my parents approve of the way I dress, they kind of wonder this too. It's funny though, because it was THEM who filled all my childhood with All my Monsters, The Little Vampire, The Nightmare before Christmas and Beetlejuice. God, I even have a Playmobil Haunted Medieval Castle!

Ok, back to topic. Quite a few things happened to me during my stay in Germany, as there I felt more inspired and pulled a more "elaborate" look together. When I was in the theatre, in the toilets before the show (I was going to see "Tanz der Vampire", which by the way, you must see because it's great ^^) a woman asked me in a half-giggle if I was one of the dancers in the show. I felt really flattered though, because the dancers in Tanz der Vampire rock ^_^

Once I was walking in the street and beside me came a father with this small boy in a bicycle. The father suddenly told the child: "Look, there's a gothic girl there!" and the child waved at me and said: "Hello, Gothy!" with a huge smile on his face. I returned the wave of course, and felt happy for the rest of the day because it was just too sweet.

And this is one of the most annoying things that has ever happended to me on this matter so far:
One of my teachers in the German Language course I did there was shocked at me and asked me things and so. She was kind and I had no problem in answering everything because I liked her. I had her for two weeks and we got to talk about Goth quite a few times. But on the last day she went like: "Ok, I thought before that all the people who dress like that are mad, but I think that you are an exception. Hopefully you will soon stop dressing like that..."
I answer (shocked at what she said): "No, as I told you, this is more than just clothing, this can be for a lifetime..."
And she says: "Oh, don't close your mind, you should be ready for changes, you're still so young. And anyway, you could be so pretty if you just didn't wear that..."
God, that made me SO ANGRY! I mean, I spent a lot of time talking to her about it, I answered her questions, I took the bother of being nice, of not getting heated up at all the media-influenced sensationalistic opinions she had, and she did as if she was listening, she said she was trying to understand, and it was all for NOTHING! >_< I don't like her any longer! And on top of everything she said I shouldn't close my mind!!! I didn't say anything because I gave her up as a lost cause, but I still go nuts everytime I think about it!
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM   #134
Darksoul225

ya people can be like that the most humorous thing someone said to me. Was when i was walking across a old train bridge was r u going to kill your self if so can i watch. Then there was this Other time one of my teacher that every time she saw em would put her hand in her pocket l8ter that year i found out why she alway keep a holy cross in the pocket and garbed it every time she saw a goth
Darksoul225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #135
Lapin

Mummy desperately hopes I will eventually grow out of this "phase". She was very hopeful, when high school ended, that I would.

Didn't happen, obviously.

She still loves me and all, she just doesn't understand why I like black and long swishy skirts. "You'd look so cute dressed like that." (Pointing to random mannequin in shop window dressed in current popular style)

"Yes mama, I'm sure I would."
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #136
Edward

well yesterday I got cat calls from construction workers, they kept saying I was a young boy george.
But today, I was sitting by on a fountain in washington park, and my dad came up from nowhere and gave me a dollar, said "nice show your putting on" as a joke to how I am dressed, shortly after he walked off, a stranger a little down the fountain called to me "did he just give you money", to which I replied yes, and after that she said "tourists" was a hilarious situation. Also on the walk home a group of gangsta's said "whats this world coming to."

~Peter Murphy

Old 08-31-2007, 05:48 PM   #137
prophecyofdoom

A bit off topic, but this thread reminded me....

Several months ago I was on my way to a show, in full gothic regalia.... While stopped at a rest area on the highway, my friend and I were crossing the parking lot to go inside and get refreshments. My friend is a death metal musician and really looks the part, complete with satanic red contact lenses. We passed a man out walking his dog, whose yuppie ensemble of white shorts, light blue collared shirt, and white sweater tied over his shoulders exuded an aura of wealth and professionalism. We eyed each other in mutual disdain... Until I, a bit tipsy, saw how adorable his little dog was and ran over and started cooing at it. He looked shocked, but also really pleased. The three of us exchanged pleasant conversation about pet ownership for a bit, then my friend and I went on our way. We ran into this guy again on our way out, and he seemed really happy to see us again.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #138
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gosh...That was...interesting.

O_o

I can fly, I will scream! I will break my arm! I'll do it all!

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #139
thedoll

I just had somebody ask me why I was all dressed up and if I knew where to get some coccaine.

I just kept walking.

How does a compliment turn into a possible drug hookup?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #140
prophecyofdoom

Ach, some people assume that if you look freaky, you know where to score drugs.

A former significant other once at first pretended to respect me for my gothy self, but then became increasingly frustrated when I never "grew out of it". He finally admitted he was embarrassed to be seen with me in public. He said that he'd only put up with it as an "investment", because he thought we made a good match otherwise.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 PM   #141
thedoll

the guy I was with was like that, he would never touch me in public if I dressed "wierd" but if I did in private he would tell me how beautiful I was and how he loved that I was different. FUCK FACE!

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:47 AM   #142
Edward

My best friend, on a daily basis, tells me to quit smoking, dress normal, and get buff like him.

He thinks I dont understand what it feels like to have "power" like him.

~Peter Murphy

Old 09-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #143
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
My best friend, on a daily basis, tells me to quit smoking, dress normal, and get buff like him.

He thinks I dont understand what it feels like to have "power" like him.
What kind of best friend does that?

I wish somebody would say something interesting to me, but alas, most of the people around here are either white trash or hicks, both of which tend to just stare at me for a few seconds and then move on.

The younger people, the "preps," tend to act as if I'm invisible.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #144
BLEED REBELION!!!

2 days ago this guy who lives in my neighbor hood says to me..

Guy: you been working out"
Me: Not really... I dance..
Guy: Ohh cuz I remeber you used to be REALLY fat when you were younger...
Me: thats great...
Guy: so how old are you know you look good...

that fucking ass hole has to be like 25

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #145
Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
What kind of best friend does that?
You ever see the movie sideways?
Me and my best friend daniel are such because we shared a homeroom since about grade 6. We don't have much else in common.

~Peter Murphy

Old 09-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #146
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward
You ever see the movie sideways?
Me and my best friend daniel are such because we shared a homeroom since about grade 6. We don't have much else in common.
No, I haven't seen that movie, but if the relationship works for you, that's cool with me.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #147
Edward

It does well enough. I am currently in the new york airport and just got a dirty look from an orthodox jew...

we were wearing the same hat.

~Peter Murphy

Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #148
roserougesang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Yes I am afraid some of our fellow Aspergerians tend to be a tad bit unenlightened as to the nature of reality. For example at my school we have this one fat blob of a wannabe Nazi Cannibal god atheist. Tell me how did you deal with him?
I mostly just tried to avoid him, but responded politely when questioned. But then again, I do that with most people I feel awkward around.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #149
Lapin

I went to a Ren. Festival yesterday. Now, I wasn't dressed much differently from anyone else, beyond my currently purple hair, but I thought I'd be good.

Indeed, I nearly got through the whole day, before some jesters (Really, they had bell hats and everything) pulled my friend away from me, screaming "She has the Plague, look at her!" Not a minute later, a man walks by and calls me "Miss Osbourne".

It was a bit of a downer (Nearly a whole day!), but then the guy at the ice-cream booth, after witnessing all this, said very gently that he thought my hair was "Lovely" and his favorite color.

What a sweet man. He brightened the rest of my evening considerably.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #150
d.Nox

I was a straight-laced, sheltered Mormon boy all through high school, but that faded pretty fast once I got out on my own. The first time I came home dressed differently--for Thanksgiving break--my mom assumed it was a joke. When I was still wearing it the next day, she pulled me aside for a chat. This is it, word for word:

Her: What's with the new look?
Me: I just like it.
Her, after a few moments thinking: Are you gay? You can tell me.
Me: No, mom.
Her, after a few more seconds: Do you worship Satan?
Me: No, mom. Really.

She didn't say anything else, and hasn't, really, yet. I think she's still trying to think of a third option.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote