Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

Yet another shooting

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i...5iK6gD8S6HDC80
I didn't see the news broadcast (I missed it but I wanted to see it)
Apparently the kid was described as Goth. I think I'm having dejavu.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Nevan

There's a more descriptive article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7038532.stm

Apparently, only one student told the media that the kid was a goth - I didn't read anything that referenced to the subculture as being the root of the child's behaviour but it would be interesting to see how far the media goes based on a single person's opinion.

Hah - seems like goth culture is really stealing the spotlight nowadays.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #3
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan
There's a more descriptive article here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7038532.stm

Apparently, only one student told the media that the kid was a goth - I didn't read anything that referenced to the subculture as being the root of the child's behaviour but it would be interesting to see how far the media goes based on a single person's opinion.

Hah - seems like goth culture is really stealing the spotlight nowadays.
Well I JUST heard about this so I didn't have much info. I just went by what my friend told me.
But still.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 AM   #4
CptSternn

I said it during the previous school shooting, what do you expect from Americans?

They see the leaders of their country using force to try and fix every problem worldwide. They see the powers that be letting innocent people die to prove a point.

They see the 'might makes right' all around them - from the police on the street to the war in Iraq.

Invade a nation if you don't like them, kill everyone. If the world doesn't agree - go it alone. Who needs anyone else?

Why talk it out? Why be diplomatic? When your leaders shun those who they don't agree with and send in armed troops to try and assassinate those who go against what they preach?

When those who lead the nation support torture, assassination (murder), and support the idea of killing a few innocent people if thats what it takes to meet their goals?

When you have a nation that constantly behaves in this manner, and this message is broadcast daily on the news in efforts to gather support for such actions, it's no wonder that the children in the same society imitate the same behaviour in their own lives.

Yes, mr. bush, the 'childrens' are 'learnin', that they are...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
drewsilla

Unhappy

I just heard about this, too. So terrible!! You know that when it comes out more, they will focus on the goth part of the boy's life, put a spotlight on it and push to the side the facts that he had mental troubles for years.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
I said it during the previous school shooting, what do you expect from Americans?

They see the leaders of their country using force to try and fix every problem worldwide. They see the powers that be letting innocent people die to prove a point.
Wow, way to draw exactly the wrong conclusion based on personal bias. Let's hope the people who hate goths aren't doing exactly the same thing, like they've done in the past.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
chelseagirl

Here's his myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendID=5453373

*sigh*
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Green.Lady

14 YEARS OLD! It's unbelievable that someone so young could do that.

Manson'll get in more shit now by middle America - anyone remember Bowling for Columbine?
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Oh, just effing loverly. Here we go again.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #10
chelseagirl

But, I don't think that picture on that myspace is him though...the articles I've read said he was "pudgy", and looked a bit like Jack Black...

Thank god he didn't kill anyone else.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Stuporman

Quote:
I concur wholeheartedly, brother. I don't know one measly American pig who hasn't gone through school without dropping a round or two into their classmates on at least one occasion, and it's no wonder: did you know that more Americans fully approve of the war in Iraq than any other war in the country's history? Besides this, President Bush's approval rating is 100%. Can you believe that? That means that there isn't one American in the entirety of the United States who thinks Bush is a poor president. Unbelievable.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #12
chelseagirl

lol, I don't even bother reading CptSternn's posts anymore. Seems like anytime he posts, it's only to bash America.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
Stuporman

Quote:
lol, I don't even bother reading CptSternn's posts anymore. Seems like anytime he posts, it's only to bash America.
Aw, shucks, I fell right into the troll's toothy maw.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuporman
I concur wholeheartedly, brother. I don't know one measly American pig who hasn't gone through school without dropping a round or two into their classmates on at least one occasion, and it's no wonder: did you know that more Americans fully approve of the war in Iraq than any other war in the country's history? Besides this, President Bush's approval rating is 100%. Can you believe that? That means that there isn't one American in the entirety of the United States who thinks Bush is a poor president. Unbelievable.

Well, count this American because I despise Bush and am wholly against the Iraq War. And I've never "dropped a round" in any of my classmates... you guys are so bias it's unbelievable.

Anyway, in regards to the shooting, we might as well brace ourselves because it's Columbine all over again. I'm going to love to see how my teachers are going to treat me now since this arose....

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

Well, count this American because I despise Bush and am wholly against the Iraq War. And I've never "dropped a round" in any of my classmates... you guys are so bias it's unbelievable.
Take it easy, that was sarcasm. :-p

And good you guys who are still in school right now. I remember hearing about the way schools reacted when Colombine did, and was pretty appalled then. I can hope things may have improved, although that's probably being amazingly naive....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Take it easy, that was sarcasm. :-p

And good you guys who are still in school right now. I remember hearing about the way schools reacted when Colombine did, and was pretty appalled then. I can hope things may have improved, although that's probably being amazingly naive....
Sorry for getting edgy, but yes, my nerves are plucked easily.

Yeah, I have a feeling my school's going to really being hawking me now. They were bad before, but since the shooting occurred at another vocational-type school, and with somebody who was identified as "gothic," I can only cringe at how bad things are going to be now.

And it kills me too, because I wouldn't harm a fly, let alone hurt a person. >.<;

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
delicti

Quote:
Yeah, I have a feeling my school's going to really being hawking me now. They were bad before, but since the shooting occurred at another vocational-type school, and with somebody who was identified as "gothic," I can only cringe at how bad things are going to be now.
Yeah, it kills me that the media and other authorities take part in such large-scale scapegoating, when they're supposed to be investigating the truth.

You know, we make movies about the Salem witch trials and the holocaust, and say, "thank goodness we could never be like that." The truth is that we all can, and may have even accidentally at one point already, taken part of some sort of mass hysteria targeted at a group for irrational reasons. It's sad, really, and even worse that denial is just as much part of human nature, so it's never going to be addressed in a real, comprehensive way.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #18
Cyntrox

The myspace has been taken down. What was it like?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
The myspace has been taken down. What was it like?
Kind of vanilla, really. Grey background, and some Marilyn Manson song playing. Typical mall goth type, really.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
Valrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Kind of vanilla, really. Grey background, and some Marilyn Manson song playing. Typical mall goth type, really.
And lots of RIP Messages.

I don't really have anything to say except that thigns like this shouldn't be allowed to happen, and that I hope everyone makes a speedy recovery. Phsyically and emotionally.
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #21
chelseagirl

Apparently, some teenager has admitted to creating that myspace account. It was FAKE. The pictures he posted he just got off Photobucket.com by searching for "goth kid". What an IDIOT. I would be SO PISSED if I was the guy whose picture he used. :O
Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #22
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Sorry for getting edgy, but yes, my nerves are plucked easily.

And it kills me too, because I wouldn't harm a fly, let alone hurt a person. >.<;
Yeah I've gotta work on a nerve plucking issue myself. Don't worry it'll blow over eventualy, if you hadn't noticed people don't learn from history so in another 10 years they'll forget about goths again. It's like the 90s people pretty much forgot to hate goths in the 90s untill Columbine. Hey remember George Bush has daughters who will become president in 10 years so they'll be a big distraction. Untill then it's off to live in a submarine, to live out our lives in the goth sub culture.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #23
Valrys

Quote:
Apparently, some teenager has admitted to creating that myspace account. It was FAKE. The pictures he posted he just got off Photobucket.com by searching for "goth kid". What an IDIOT. I would be SO PISSED if I was the guy whose picture he used. :O
Really? What a complete and utter tosser that kid is.

Does he really have nothing better to do?
Valrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #24
LadyLucretia

Quote:
When you have a nation that constantly behaves in this manner, and this message is broadcast daily on the news in efforts to gather support for such actions, it's no wonder that the children in the same society imitate the same behaviour in their own lives.

Yes, mr. bush, the 'childrens' are 'learnin', that they are...
It clearly has NOTHING to do with the fact that both recent school shooters (this one and VA Tech) had a long history of mental illness, including psychiatric hospitalization.

If you want to bitch about America in regards to this, bitch about the lack of access to mental health services. That's a real, applicable problem. Making this about politics and foreign policy is just you projecting your agenda onto unrelated issues.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Captain Sternn: America does not have a monopoly on berserker shootings, they have happened in Australia and Germany and even Japan, although with samurai swords instead. Now let's be fair and see you post critiques of those countries faults too.

The serious, PREVENTABLE contributor to the problem is the failure of his parents to lock up their guns. Sure, the kids psycho nature was the primary problem, but his problem would not have had physical consequences to others had guns been secured where he could not access them.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote