Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Miss.SB

Alternative Teachers

Apologies if this is a subject that has been brought up before, but it's niggling me...

I have a few concerns, I'm currently applying for my PGCE (for those who don't know, it's a postgraduate degree in teaching), which I'm hoping to begin next Sept. I'm absolutely desperate to become a teacher, however, I've been questionned quite a lot regarding my appearance. I don't particularly stand out, as I've toned myself down over the years, but I do have a few tattoos, stretchers, etc. People have said I'm creating another obstacle for myself, yet I feel I have the opportunity and the right to remain unchanged and be myself. That's what I would encourage students to do, so why be a hypocrite, right?
I've spoken to other teachers/trainee teachers and the ignorance is incredible! It's shocking to think of some of these people teaching, they've an absolute disregard for anything non-conforming. I'm well aware of the position of responsibility a teacher has, but I really don't feel that sacrificing who I am, will make me a better, more able teacher.

What is everyone's view on this? I'd really appreciate honest opinions, so don't hold back!
Miss.SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Sendo

It depends on the type of school, the grade(s) you'll be teaching, and the subject you'll be teaching. Also, being a High school arts teacher might allow a darker wardrobe than, say, an elementary school English teacher. What's your situation?

As always, try to be professional. Collars, low cut tops, band t-shirts, studded belts, fishnets, overwhelming eyeliner, black lipstick, and etc. aren't really appropriate for any teacher, and especially one that is struggling against negative stereotypes. Make sure you dress to impress on the first day (not saying you have to go with polos and khakis) and gradually show your tattoos and bring more of yourself into the wardrobe. Read over your schools dress code policy. If it's not allowed on students, it's probably not allowed on teachers.

Be aware that parents might have concerns, so when you interact with them, try to tone it down as well. And, if your boss asks you to stop wearing a certain thing, do not complain. You are desperate to become a teacher after all.

(I plan on teaching as well, so hopefully you can keep us updated.)
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Solumina

Cover the tats for interviews and you may want to think of bringing down the gauge on your stretchers. Right now there are a lot of people going out for teaching jobs so you really need to make sure that you are giving off the right impression.

Once you have the job you can start to relax your dress a bit. There was a wonderful English teacher in high school who had a tat on his forearm, none of the students knew for most of his first but he rolled up his sleeves for our senior bbq (where the teachers cook for the senior class) and his tat was exposed, after that he didn't really make an effort to hide the tat, it never caused any problems but I think a large part of that was that he was already viewed so positively.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
sibyl vane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss.SB View Post
I've spoken to other teachers/trainee teachers and the ignorance is incredible! It's shocking to think of some of these people teaching, they've an absolute disregard for anything non-conforming. I'm well aware of the position of responsibility a teacher has, but I really don't feel that sacrificing who I am, will make me a better, more able teacher.
Well, your clothes, tattoos and piercings shouldn't define who you are.

People are going to be superficial twats, so if they want you to tone it down, it's probably best to tone it down. At our school we had a Chemistry probationer with a lip piercing, tattoos, heavy eyeliner, etc.
She was a decent teacher, but the head of department assumed she was immature and she didn't get the job.

Like Solumina says, you'll probably be able to relax a bit more once you're in.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl vane. View Post
Well, your clothes, tattoos and piercings shouldn't define who you are.
EXACTLY. How is her ability to teach lessened any by stretched fistulas or tattoos?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Pineapple_Juice

I had a sub once who you could tell right away was toning herself down A LOT for the class she was teaching. She wore these really tall Mary Jane shoes and her ears were stretched to probably 7/8, but she had them taken out and wore her hair over it. She had her little Bettie Page bangs and I saw this tattoo once on her ankle of a skull with a rose or some shit through it and another one on her neck. She wore all long sleeves and pants so I'm pretty sure she had a lot more where that came from. She was a pretty good teacher, but she really didn't know French all that well and that's the class she was subbing for.

If you do it right you can cover it all up until the time comes where nobody cares.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
ForestMist

One of my teachers is a bit hippie. Not the whole smelly unwashed hair/marijuana smoking/guitar playing thing (at least I think she isn't doing the last 2), but she does wear peace signs/flowers/flowing stuff...
I reccomend you do something familiar. Not going to school in clubwear, but in knee lenght or long skirts, blouses, et cetera. And some nice jewelery. No one can tell you you can't wear it.
ForestMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestMist View Post
No one can tell you you can't wear it.
They also don't have to heir you if they don't like it.

This isn't about stifling your self expression or anything. You wouldn't show up to an interview in jeans and a t-shirt or with a super low cut shirt, you have to present yourself as someone who has their shit together and unless you are going for a job in an artistic/creative field you really should present a somewhat conservative image. Once you have the job you can change things up a bit.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Miss.SB

Thanks for all your comments,

Yes, I would definitely present myself as a professional, it's important to me to be taken seriously. I wouldn't dream of wearing things like band t-shirts or anything like that, it's simple enough to just wear black combinations like I do now ^_^. I cannot always cover my tattoo's, though. One is half way up my arm, starting from my wrist. As for my ears, my hair is usually covering them anyway. However, they're always noted.

Once I'm in a school, I'll feel more comfortable with it, but I still worry about parent interaction, as you mentionned. During my observations, lots of children noticed my various bod mods and questionned them; I can just imagine when parents evening comes around, though. "So where's your English teacher," "She's that girl over there with the saggy ears and tatts" o_O

I always remember there being quirky teachers, but it always seemed to be Art teachers :-(
Well, I will try my luck, tone myself down and hope I'll be accepted.

What a rubbish thing to have to do, though. What a sad world it can be.

Again, thanks for your input ^_^
Miss.SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:28 PM   #10
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
EXACTLY. How is her ability to teach lessened any by stretched fistulas or tattoos?
People tend to be ignorant asswholes.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
XxBloodyrosexX

As I do hope to be a teacher one day (a college level Literature professor btw) and i have long realized that I may face the types of problems you are soon going to be facing. I have seen (and I'd wager everyone else has noticed also) that the darker gothic styles are becoming more and more acceptable to mainstream people. A teacher that was at my other school a few years ago had pink streaks in her blonde hair, so I hope by the time I reach adulthood and am about to start my first teaching position, the majority of my students will accept me and take me seriously. My problem isn't exactly the same though, I'm going for teaching college and I have no tattoos (and neither to I plan to get any in any place that cannot easily get covered up, and the tattoos I desire aren't in anyway offensive or anything really, that the average person would frown on) my hair will stay it's natural shade of dark brown (unless it continues to get these annoying blonde lights in them in which case I'll dye it back its natural color) and I will never stretch my ears. I love dangle earring too much. In addition my style is already more formal gothic than anything.
The onlt advice I can see giving is for you to prove to others that you are a great, knowledgeable and respectable teacher.
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
SweetJane

There's an anthropology teacher at the university who outgoths most of her darker students. I've never seen her wear anything but black, and I met her in a tattoo parlour where she was getting touch-ups on her H.R. Giger piece that spanned her whole back and into 1/3 sleaves.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
MissGracie

I'm in college right now studying to be high school teacher too I'm not really worried about how I dress, now in a few years I'll just have a mental rationalization to spend money on really nice business wear and "grown-up" jewelry, bwahaha I like a lot of different styles, so I don't mind changing for different situations. Also, if you live in a smallish town your students might see you outside of school, it will be hilariously surprising for them.

If I want to someday get my cheeks and/or other facial piercings do them have "invisible" jewelry for stuff like that? I've seen them for stretched ears and lip piercings. I think that would be handy.
MissGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
SweetJane

You can get clear plastic retainers for most piercings. I wish I had had one the time I had to re-piece my tongue becasue of work.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote