Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Nocturne Midnight

Location: The center of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you.
I'm mentioned in the New York Times!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/fa...=1&oref=slogin

Check it out. Tell me what you guys think of her writing. I'm on the second and third pages, while my friend Missy is on the first.
Nocturne Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

Inflammatory misrepresentation of the subculture. Actually, I probably shouldn't say 'misrepresentation', as more and more I find that goth truly has become the confederation of insecure, pathetic teenagers this article depicts it to be. I can't believe this bullshit passes for news.
Part of who you are? Looking for a place to belong? What the fuck were you thinking?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Nocturne Midnight

I was not aware she would only be taking choice parts of our conversations. I emphasized it was more about the music than anything else. Oh well. Information manipulation. I'm just kind of stoked I'm in the news paper. And not for hitting some politician or something stupid.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Yeah, I'm sure she was intent on portraying goth as she did before she even read anything you said. Your quote at the end was still pretty inexcusable though.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
Nocturne Midnight

Apologies. I will take my 40 lashes now. *bows head*
Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Deadmanwalking_05

Goth started early on as an off shoot of the Punk Movement,they kept the idea of free form DIY, thought,expression and art. (From My understanding)

The article linked above basicly dumps all over the Gothic Subculture.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Nocturne Midnight

See, that's what I told her. I explained much of the history, the roots, my own beliefs on the attitude. But, she ignored it. She was pleasant enough though.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Either way it was bound to fail.
Any spotlight makes goth look bad. Even if the article were to really talk about the music and stuff, goth would still suffer a blow out of it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Any spotlight makes goth look bad.
If this were another article about me, it would rule.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturne Midnight
Apologies. I will take my 40 lashes now. *bows head*
Put him in bed with the Captains daughter
Put him in bed with the Captains daughter
Put him in bed with the Captains daughter early in the morning

Heh that song pops in my a lot of the time when I hear someone talk about whipping.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/18/fa...=1&oref=slogin

Check it out. Tell me what you guys think of her writing. I'm on the second and third pages, while my friend Missy is on the first.
The judges have voted and the results are in! *tears open envelope* In a unanimous vote, the judges have decided, Nocturne Midnight, you, my good sir, fail.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
CptSternn

Eh, it could have been better, but it also could have been much worse. Maybe it wasn't spot on with many ideals and values of the scene or music, but hey, I'm sure the writer wasn't looking for that.

They wanted a glam piece for the NYT.

They chose to select 'goth' persons from MySpace and other social networking sites instead of heading to the local events, so that tells you what they wanted.

I say blame the writer, not the subject.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
PortraitOfSanity

Of course I blame the writer, but like Gothicus said, Goth really has become the bunch of whiny teens that the article says it is.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Wait a minute...that's YOU in that picture? With the two kids near the bench?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #15
drewsilla

Seemed like all it needed was a Hop Topic plug to make it a total and epic fail.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #16
Nocturne Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Wait a minute...that's YOU in that picture? With the two kids near the bench?
No, no. I wouldn't wear something like that. I look more Mephistophelean. Also, I'm not that thin.

Also, I talked about how goth has become flooded with morons because they don't actually know anything about it and just like talking about being so dark. I talked about how shopping at Hot Topic is generally a waste of time and money because you can just DIY most of the stuff you find there. Did she listen? No.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
Deadmanwalking_05

That's because the reporter in question only wanted to put his/her own spin on things.

I really don't trust reporters as far as I could throw them,like everyone else they always seem to have a hidden agenda.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #18
LittleStrangeling

Did you really have to say you were known as Nocturne Midnight? You honestly tell people to call you that? I don't introduce myself as a ridiculous name I came up with for the internet. If I were to be asked who I was, I'd say "I'm Megan, it's a pleasure to meet you, I'm sure."
Not to be rude or anything, but I find telling people to call you nicknames as cliche as your own quite tacky and tasteless.

I hated that article. It was a waste of my time; I'm never getting those minutes back.

I don't trust reporters either, they tend to twist things out of my favor.
Knowing the most of them, they'd probably get 'I hate the world and am going to kill everyone' out of 'I'd rather not talk to you at the moment, thanks.'
LittleStrangeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical failtacular article about goffs
There are stunning examples in the show of vampiric sex appeal — e.g., a voluminous blood-red gown by John Galliano for Dior, printed with a Marquis de Sade quotation: “Is it not by murder that France is free today?” (Which, accessorized with its huge chain and cross made of railway spikes, would inspire even the Easter Bunny to absinthe and Emocore.)

But to Wendy Jenkins, vampires represent more than just a hot batch of spooky formalwear. They provide a romantic narrative for sympathizing with her own perceived abnormalities. She wrote to me: “I think vampires are freeking sweet because they have such true emotions that no mere mortals can express! I too at times think I am a vampire being with my hate of garlic and how my eyes r sensitive to light.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by The usually amusing Danielle Willis
“Gothic style should be as opulent, decadent and individual as possible,”

As much as I want to read the entire thing without prejudice, cringing once and steal that baseball bat, my right palm is too far in my face to continue. And that hand should be used for a Dolemite-style pimphanding just for that nickname shit.

Seriously, was a realistic alias too much to ask?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #20
Mealla

The article was pretty good...for the first couple of paragraphs or so. About halfway down the first page, it loses any hope I initially had for it. The quotes are horrid, she obviously had her mind made up the way she wanted to portray the culture, I about had aneurysm when emo came up, and of course the article focuses on the appearance aspect, probably because she's writing for the Fashion and Style section of the NYT. Overall, it portrays goth as just a bunch of moody teenagers, which is sadly not too far from the reality in many cases these days.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #21
Nocturne Midnight

I didn't ask her to put my nickname in there. I merely said that some of my online friends call me Nocturne Midnight. I was remarking how cliche it was. And she put it in anyway.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #22
$haDe

This thread support my hate for these reporter 'n their offshoots.

When my 'incident' happened, One of them asked me if I can revealed the true inspired of nails sharpening and attacking 'christian' principle.

I said "I dont give a shit, Whether it's my nails on her face or my feet on her face"

Then, The next morning Newspaper was like all covered in a big gray article said "More example of how goth and other subculture slowly turn into cult and terrorist.In the last Wednesday, A cute lookin' street kid,who've somehow study in ........... and also the only goth,have attacked a principle of the school for being christian. Was this is the warning that these subcultures are threatening the way we're and .....blah blah blah....."

Oh and in the conclusion part they quoted my word

'I dont give a shit, Whether it's my nails on her face or my feet on her face ' said the boy. This is an example of how foreign kids turn into a group of society rejected. This boy doesn't feel guilty of attacking a woman and there is nothing can prevent other boys from doing the same better than helping from the parents. Teach them, Protec them from these foul culture and ..blah blah blah.....

I just can't type down more. Give me a break

It's in Thai, But you guys are not going to like it. Trust me
-_-
Old 09-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I didn't ask her to put my nickname in there. I merely said that some of my online friends call me Nocturne Midnight. I was remarking how cliche it was. And she put it in anyway.
Dude.
No one calls you that.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #24
Jaye Jang

Nocturne, dude. Never trust a reporter any farther than you can see, and with reporters you're myopic. Capice. Just say, 'No comment.' However, they'll still concoct a story. It's what they get paid to do. (But, being in the NYT is cool. Congrats. As for the article, at least it wasn't total goth bashing, but seeing 'goth' on the runway is like seeing it in Wal-Mart. It makes you want to crawl under a rug).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
onedarkly1

Try not to beat yourself up to much Nocturne Midnight. A lot of times, as stated above, reporters often know what they want to write about and twist what one says.

I submitted an article to the local paper a few weeks ago and they printed it, but "edited" it, and in doing so took out some important words which changed the meaning of one of the most important paragraphs.

It happens.