Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #76
Encaitare

If God were to be judged by the ten commandments, he would go to hell, too. Yeah, that "thou shalt not kill" bit doesn't seem to apply to the Big Guy.

You lose! Good day, sir!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #77
MollyMac

Hey, God and religion and spirituality and the likes are no bad, nor are the beliefs in the lack thereof et al. It's all whether or not it reings true to you and your own common sense. No one minds discussiong religion for fun and prophet, but save the sermons for the people who show up and fill the pews.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #78
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
Very nice piece there.
The flattery indulges him, and he ceases the vaguely reluctant self-torture procedure.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #79
the-broken-harlequin

Wait, that was about me?
Cuz, if it was i always laugh manically when i wake up and then put on my jester hat and give papercuts to chavs.
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #80
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
In the bleak atmosphere he arises from his coffin of a tomb. Isolated in the far away castle was he; the lid opened eeriely as dust and steam poured out like bats retreaving themselves from a cave. This was his cave. He awakes, arising with only the dimness of the moon guiding him through the corridors-knowing that the interior and its surrounding world is abandoned.
That rocked!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #81
Vako

I wonder if there are any other people such as myself here who are of non-Judeo-Christian faith?

Any Vivimancers? Asatru? Wiccan? Pegan? Hindu? Buddhist? Bahai? etc...
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #82
Drake Dun

"Faith" isn't the aegis I claim, but in spite of how I probably come off, I am not a straight-laced positivist, and please never accuse me of "humanism". Betimes I am plagued or blessed with suspicions, intimations, ecstatic conjecture.

"Gods?" Trundle out that word, and you're already missing the point. Sounds like fun. Let's miss the point. When I talk about a "god" it's not the same thing as the sad caricatures we have learned to prop up against the new orthodoxy of science. Nor is it anything so small as a metaphor decorated with artistic flourish.

How many? Zero, one, a thousand. Wrong question. How many of recurring interest to me, personally? Less than a dozen, I should think. How many which figure prominently in my realest, most secret hopes? Two. Sometimes they are female and male, in that order, and they are not strangers.

That's not deliberate, but I like it. It seems sad that the Jealous God has to be so alone, and with all that power, too. No wonder he lashes out.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #83
the-broken-harlequin

Exactly what I was going to say, I think.
the-broken-harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #84
CLV

I was looking up Calvinism (just read Hoggs Confessions of a Justified Sinner, which i thoroughly recommend) and it led me to a forum on this site....which i haven't been able to drag myself away from for p1ssing my sides laughing.

http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm

number 39 is VERY funny.

WARNING - MIGHT OFFEND YOU IF YOU ARE RELIGIOUS.
CLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #85
MollyMac

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw"- Calvin

Wait, were you talking about someone else? :P
Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #86
KontanKarite

In terms of traditional Christian thought, there is no room for me in Heaven. I am not invited into that place. I acknowledge the existence of YHWY, but at the same time, there are other gods I believe to be real.

There are certain aspects of the godhead that I don't agree with. The best I can ever hope for is mercy. It's something I can't ask for because I don't feel that I have flaws that are Hell worthy. And the flaws that I do see are the ones I try to work on to become a better person. But that's not enough, apparently. Maybe there's an ego to be stroked. Who knows? But my relationship with God has always been a depressing one. I'm not misguided, I just see personality conflicts between me and the creator. Hopefully S/He can overlook that since I am apparently the one to be forgiven and not Him/Her.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #87
KontanKarite

My last post, redundant, I know. It seems that since Orion is opening up, maybe I could a little bit as well.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #88
MollyMac

He hasn't opened up, his rigor just superceded his flesh. At leats that account sfor the smell.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #89
KontanKarite

Two more and you're evil, Molly.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #90
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
In terms of traditional Christian thought, there is no room for me in Heaven. I am not invited into that place. I acknowledge the existence of YHWY, but at the same time, there are other gods I believe to be real.

There are certain aspects of the godhead that I don't agree with. The best I can ever hope for is mercy. It's something I can't ask for because I don't feel that I have flaws that are Hell worthy. And the flaws that I do see are the ones I try to work on to become a better person. But that's not enough, apparently. Maybe there's an ego to be stroked. Who knows? But my relationship with God has always been a depressing one. I'm not misguided, I just see personality conflicts between me and the creator. Hopefully S/He can overlook that since I am apparently the one to be forgiven and not Him/Her.
I was under the impression that Christianity is monotheistic, that in order to be a Christian one is to believe in one God, not polytheism. Is there a name for your kind of Christianity?
Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #91
honeythorn

Quote:
wonder if there are any other people such as myself here who are of non-Judeo-Christian faith?
Pagan over here * waves * Not wiccan, but studying witchcraft with great interest.

The idea of a singular male god has never interested or made much sense to me. Not even as a child if I remember correctly. I would sit in churches when made to go,then proceed to ignore the priest and just look at the carvings and the stained glass. It was pretty.

I would say that I am polytheistic in a sense. I think that deity is one big force with multiple aspects and genders given to it by human beings according to the way particular peoples in various parts of the world developed spiritually. Christians call it god, and apparantly believe it to be singular and supposedly male. Muslims call it Allah, with the same description, single, male, and so on and so forth ( I can't remember all of them, it's late..) I just call it deity and leave it at that.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #92
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
I was under the impression that Christianity is monotheistic, that in order to be a Christian one is to believe in one God, not polytheism. Is there a name for your kind of Christianity?

Probably not. It may be more closely related to Gnostic Christianity. The one with the idea of a divine feminine, a divine masculine, and a demiurge.

Then again, I'm also rather Pagan. No one said pagans couldn't acknowledge the existence of many gods. Even ones that condone the separation between certain groups with witches.

Some would say I'm a Christian Witch.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #93
ArtificialOne

All hail robot jesus!!!!!

lmao

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #94
ArtificialOne

I believe science is the only true religion and infidels shall be purged!!!

Mwuahahahahahaaaaa

But honestly, I believe in being connected with nature, just not worshiping it.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 PM   #95
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Probably not. It may be more closely related to Gnostic Christianity. The one with the idea of a divine feminine, a divine masculine, and a demiurge.

Then again, I'm also rather Pagan. No one said pagans couldn't acknowledge the existence of many gods. Even ones that condone the separation between certain groups with witches.

Some would say I'm a Christian Witch.
Ah. Christian Witch. Now I remember you mentioning that before. I find that to be a fascinating idea.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #96
Encaitare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
I believe science is the only true religion and infidels shall be purged!!!
Your Science is flawed! Our Science is the only true Science! Science be praised! Otters... attack!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #97
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Ah. Christian Witch. Now I remember you mentioning that before. I find that to be a fascinating idea.

Right. Well, according to the bible, it's a completely damning idea.

But it's not much I can do about it. Jesus is the man, but my style in practice doesn't match what the good man said. Then again, he DID pave his own path.

He pretty much followed God in his own way. But, others follow him. Hmmm...

Old 04-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #98
killer_asian_Dax

aye....there's the rub!

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #99
sensuous0mar

Okay, so Jesus is the way, eh? Well yes, Jesus was a way cool guy who had some amazing things to teach the world (like acceptance, humanitarianism, tolerance, generocity) one of which NOT being that anyone who didn't "dig him" should be damned to an eternity of burning in a sulphur reeking hell. So why don't you get back to the basics and really look at what the man was all about because the Bible is a truly screwed up piece of crap and not, NOT written by him, but a bunch of creepy overzealous people who were never /good/ enough to actually be him. SO, step back and take a breath. Start over. Now go look at what JESUS had to say...the gospels are (partly - mostly) made up. (wanted to say "crap" but restrained self.)
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #100
Glothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw"- Calvin
So you're a Calvinist?

Sorry. Bad joke.

I'm an atheist. I just have too hard a time believing in this all-powerful being that created us.

And if there really is a god looking down on us, then isn't our world pretty much his ant farm?
Glothic is offline   Reply With Quote