Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
Signe

Hip hop vs. Goth rock

Yeah, are these mortal enemies or do any of you actually like both?
----
In general I don't like most hip hop or goth rock that especially much.

I'm kinda more into brutal, violent music, whatever it is called, hip hop, rock, whatever, I like dark and chaotic music.

When I was in junior high people fought a lot about what is the best: hip hop or rock.

Well, the MAINSTREAM hip hop and rock totally sucks to me personally, though I like some hip hop, such as Cage and Insane Clown Posse and I like certain rock music such as Leftover Crack and The Locust.

I am very picky with what music I like, right now I am most into Diamanda Galás (avant-garde, very unusual and dark), Hell Rell (hip hop), Insane Clown Posse (horrorcore hip hop, very brutal), Leftover Crack (rock, except actually good rock) and some others.
----
What is your opinion, are hip hop and gothic rock enemies or do you sometimes like both?
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
KontanKarite

I think they don't give a flying toss about the other.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Dark Clarissa

I'm into all kinds of genres of music, Goth rock included, metal, industrial, classical, the occasional bit of dance and pop. However, I've just never heard any hip hop that I like. My daughter listens to it, so I'm exposed to it, but its just not my kind of thing. I suppose we can't all like the same things though as it would be a boring world otherwise
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
bleedingheart344

Yeah, ICP's brutal in the same sense that someone shitting into your ear canal is.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
Beneath the Shadows

I always thought that N'sync was the mortal enemy of goth rock...

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Draconysius

Cannibal Ox is great underground rap/hip-hop, Busdriver's not bad either. You really shouldn't have mentioned ICP though... You just lost all credibility on these forums.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Haunted House

I thought that death metal was the mortal enemy of goth due to the mis-lable. That and all of those other genres like nu-metal, "hxc", and whatever the hell Evanescence is.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Tam Li Hua

Honestly, my taste in music fluctuates with my mood. Sometimes I'm a metal-head, sometimes I'm an old-school Goth, sometimes a techno geek, been known to listen to and appreciate both the Chocolate Swim and DefinitveSwim albums, sometimes feel like listening to classical and/or New Age music [Loreena Mckennitt, Enya, etc.]...

I dunno; just depends on how I feel. Just recently, I've wanted to listen to Franz Ferdinand and Muse more than Type O Negative and Sisters of Mercy, so go fig. [Though I -have- been appreciating System Of A Down and Bauhaus more lately..]

Heh heh. Music is eternal, that's for sure! XD
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
Tam Li Hua

For the record, I find fans of one dark music genre wanting to throttle the fans of another dark music genre rather sad.

Amusing, but sad all the same..
Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Tea and Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingheart344
Yeah, ICP's brutal in the same sense that someone shitting into your ear canal is.
THANK YOU!
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 AM   #11
Tea and Cake or Death

There is SOME good hip-hop. It's the old stuff though. I'd say up until the mid 90's. After that, the quality went down A LOT.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Mir

Hip hop totally pwns all other genres of music.

[/thread]
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
I like some hip hop, such as Cage and Insane Clown Posse and I like certain rock music such as Leftover Crack and The Locust.

What is your opinion, are hip hop and gothic rock enemies or do you sometimes like both?
How the fuck are music genres I like enemies? While hip-hop is quite firmly rooted in my black culture, liking goth doesn't put me any further away from it.

ICP as hip-hop?! How very lulzy...
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #14
Stormtrooper of Death

Leftover Crack is a crust punk band. Just to make sure. I got a good list I could give you. Noisecore/D-Beat stuff.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
Wormboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
Yeah, are these mortal enemies or do any of you actually like both?
----
In general I don't like most hip hop or goth rock that especially much.

I'm kinda more into brutal, violent music, whatever it is called, hip hop, rock, whatever, I like dark and chaotic music.

When I was in junior high people fought a lot about what is the best: hip hop or rock.

Well, the MAINSTREAM hip hop and rock totally sucks to me personally, though I like some hip hop, such as Cage and Insane Clown Posse and I like certain rock music such as Leftover Crack and The Locust.

I am very picky with what music I like, right now I am most into Diamanda Galás (avant-garde, very unusual and dark), Hell Rell (hip hop), Insane Clown Posse (horrorcore hip hop, very brutal), Leftover Crack (rock, except actually good rock) and some others.
----
Signe, go away.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
(heartofflames)

^ is being very short and direct...
About the music, I believe I listen to stuff that really makes you wonder why I even bother coming to the music thread and making a fool of myself. At least I pride myself with knowing a whole bunch of bands the other rock enthusiasts don't.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
viscus

Signe is back?!

Oh fuck, I must have forgotten to salt the earth after I buried her dismembered corpse.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
For some reason this thread made me want to listen to Donna Summer's Walk Away.

Just another emotion
or is there something more
if it's only a passionate phase
I'd rather just close the door.

Bop -shhh Bop-shhh Bop-shhh Bop-shhh Bobp-shhh

Yeah, I know it's not Hip-Hop, but Disco, but Hip-hop always takes me back.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
electrosexual

I love quite a lot of hip hop actually. But not really any of the new stuff. I don't see anything wrong with liking it!
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #20
Tea and Cake or Death

The thing about being a music lover is that even if you aren't a fan of a band/genre/ style you should still be able to recognize a job well done. I think that's my main problem with rap today. It seems to be phoned in.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Altemese

i like all music. i can tolerate hip-hop, but goth rock, i never heard that term used before, but i rather listen to a little of heavy metal, or rock, and a little of alternative, or even "emo music", as my peers put it. however, music is music. if your ears like it, i say go right ahead and listen to it.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #22
Minyaliel

Personally, there are a handful of genres that I can't stand and that make me want to puke or grab hold of my ears and tear them off. One of those genres is hip hop/ rap. I don't like the sound; I guess I'm too classically trained to let go of that. I cannot hear the music in hip hop.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
KontanKarite

I don't care for hip hop. Rap in its infancy was really good. Today's stuff. Actually, anything post Tupac and Bone Thugs that is at all accessible by the general public is pure shit. Especially since pop music has assimilated some of the Rap and RnB sounds into it.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #24
CountSixstring

Hip-Hop used to be a very expressive and poetic genre. Not to say that it isn't whatsoever nowadays, but it's been polluted by the media. Goth rock has done almost the same. Before you flip out, just read this. These days, everyone's elitist about such bullshit as "which genre is better?" and why. A good goth rock band these days would play the same old shit because their fellow goths would criticize them for branching out and just hammer them with what ISN'T goth. Not once have I gotten a true answer on what goth-rock is, but I can point it out because I'll go find that the majority in the subculture are no different from one another and they listen to the same stuff just to look good in front of one another, yet claiming what they're doing is different from one another. I believe that at one point both of these genres were great things that separated themselves from the national normality, but now i feel like their both polluted with elitists that don't know half of how to make actual music. Soulja Boy? Please.... That seriously hinders the musical qualities of both genres. Lately, I've been listening to more of the quintessential "Goth" rock, but I learned how to play bass by listening to the old-school west-coast hip-hop. I would abandon neither based on my own concepts of music in general. This debate makes me question how a band with goth rock writing and composing styles combined with the virtuosity of old school hip-hop influences would sound.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #25
Rosie

Trip Hop is kind of like in between Hip Hop and Goth Rock sound-wise and it works pretty well IMO.

I like some old school hip hop as well as the hip hop theme from Gurren Lagann.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote