Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #1
chelseagirl

Unhappy mourning the loss of a beloved pet

I'm very upset because I have to put my dog to sleep. My dog, Bruiser, has been with me for almost 11 years. I actually pulled him out of his mother (he was born breach and was stuck), and he's been with me ever since. He has been with me through three marriages and two divorces. I love him so much. This is the hardest thing I think I've ever had to go through. I can't even comprehend the thought of him not being here.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

You're doing the right thing. I'm going to assume the vet advised you to have him put down, and s/he wouldn't do that without good reason. Your dog is probably suffering a great deal, and you'll be giving him release. Just know that you are doing the right thing.

As for grieving, there's nothing you can do except feel the hurt and try to remember the good times you had with Bruiser. Enjoy the last days/hours/whatever you have with him and make him comfortable, maybe even talk to him about how much you'll miss him and how much you love him.
Lastly, though not right away of course, get a new dog, if you can. I know it'll never be your Bruiser, but getting a new puppy will help you get your mind off it, and you'll have a new dog to love and to love you.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Sorry Chelseagirl. I know what you are going through.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
DarkGentleman

I'm sorry too, I remember when my dog died of cancer 4 or 5 yrs ago and it was hard for me to let go then. He was an awesome friend to me and still have good memories of him.

A part of me wants to and don't want to get a new pet.
I thought of getting a cat next time, but I will wait till I am home more often.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
chelseagirl

Thanks guys! Yes, he was just diagnosed with bone cancer. He has a sister, Isis, who is also a boxer (like him). I know she's going to miss him terribly too. They are very close, as evidenced by this adorable pic of them:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_0067.jpg

Here's me and him:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_1754.jpg

I'm even more upset because my regular vet had originally diagnosed him with hip dysplasia. I've spent $2,500.00 over the past few months treating him for the hip dysplasia. It turns out that he never had hip dysplasia in the first place, he has bone cancer instead. Now, when I'm needing extra money to have him euthanized, and have him creamated and buy a nice urn for his ashes...I'm strapped for case because I've spent so much money treating somethig he never even had. I want to have a vet come do it at my home rather than taking him in to the vet office...I think that would be more peaceful and comfortable for him, but it's much more costly.

I wish there was a way I could demand some of my money back from my vet. None of that treatment was what he even needed. All it did was exhaust my monetary funds, all the while with the actual problem (the cancer) spreading. grr.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
biohazard

I am really sorry for you and your dog, but it is better to put him to sleep. I have not expirienced death of pets yet, but I do not know what I would do without them. It must be something very hard to do. And it sucks to hear that you have wasted a good amount of money treating a disease your dog never had. You should tell your vet to let you sleep your dog for free for making you waste all that money.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
deafasadoornail

I'm so sorry for your loss. I had to put two of my cats to sleep and it hurt so bad. I agree with the others, ask if your vet will cut you some slack since your dog was misdiagnosed. That they would still make you pay so much seems rather unfair to me.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Vako

You have my empathy, Chelsea Girl. I've had and lost several pets to natural old age through the years.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I know this thread was about Bruiser and Isis, but I have to say that your face in the picture of you and Bruiser is enchantingly pretty.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
prophecyofdoom

I'm so sorry. That's just so horrible, especially after you spent all that money. I had a pet for 13 years, and when he died, I cried for days and days. That was over ten years ago, and he's still always close to my heart. The love you feel, it dosen't go away.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
chelseagirl

Thanks guys.

HumanePain: Aww, thanks! That brightened up my day a little.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
Dancing_in_rain

Poor you. *cyberhug*
What has to happen happens though, as sad as it may be.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #13
chelseagirl

Thanks, he's on pain meds from the vet right now, and he seems to be doing pretty well. We're going to keep giving him the pain meds until it seems like he's hurting, then we'll do what needs to be done. The vet said if we didn't put him to sleep, he would probably live about 1 to 2 months, but he would be in pain. So, I'm figuring he has may a couple weeks before we will need to euthanize him. I'm definitely going to get a lot of quality time and snuggling in with him until then.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #14
Minyaliel

Do that, and then let go. I once had a cat, Scarlet, who somehow got leukaemia from another cat. We never discovered it until it was too late - she died in pain, and suffered a lot. I can still hear her moans and screams during her last two hours in my head, and I still blame myself for not noticing that something was wrong with her. Think of this, and don't let it happen to you or your dog.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
demonfairy

My empathy to you Chelseagirl,when my cat,Oscar, had to be put down because of cancer,I cried for days and couldn't walk down the pet food aisle for months without getting upset,but it was the best thing I could do for him.
demonfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
thydarklord666

i miss my beloved kat

i feel all of you guys pain, for i too have had to lose a pet that i have had since thy birth.

her name is tigger i have had her since she was a kittin and i loved her like she was my own daughter.
we moved so i had to surrender her to the shelter because we cant have pets at our new apartment.

she cried and latched onto my shoulders giving me a hug the whole drive down to the shelter. i couldnt take it and was crying my tears of sorrow the whole time. and i lost it again when i was at the shelter watching them close the steel bars of that cage door, wich was the last time i had ever saw her. i knew something was wrong something is still wrong i can just feel it.

i havnt got one night of peaceful sleep for i still miss and love my baby kitty, and i dont know what shes doing or where shes at who who is looking afer her.
i fear the worst.

it feels good to beable to talk about on here thanx gys.

Marcus Rose
thydarklord666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #17
Clockwork

=( I'm terribly sorry for this nasty turn of events, chelseagirl. You have my condolences. I've never experienced a loss like this, and so I can't give you any advice based from experience... just eh, remember the good times, right?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:59 AM   #18
Aaroneet

Something like this happened with my grandmother's dog, Penny. Penny, you see, was a purebred, and had a short life span. She was maybe the human equivalent of thirty when she died. Anyway, Penny became epileptic within the last few weeks of her life. She had incephelitis; seeing that in a dog is heartrending; if nothing else. My grandmother was devastated; we all were. I tried to eulogize the dog in poetry form; however, sadly, nothing came to me. We all regretted that Penny had to be put to sleep, but better that than her current state. She was paralyzed, and she fell down every time she tried to walk. No dog should have to be reduced to that.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #19
wishcat

Aw sweetie, I'm sorry about your loss. I hope you find the comfort you need. *HUGS*
Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #20
Methadrine

Ouch, I feel for you. Been there too... don't know if it's any comfort, but your pet will know why it's done. It will know that you wouldn't harm it and that you'll just don't want it to have any more pain. Bruiser will always live on in your heart too, so in other words will always be with you in spirit wherever you are.

and..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I know this thread was about Bruiser and Isis, but I have to say that your face in the picture of you and Bruiser is enchantingly pretty.
Enchantingly isn't word enough.. jawdropping, supergorgeusly pretty and cute is more like it.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
Pancakes of Doom

Having been through the loss of two cats, I know how you feel. Just try and remember all of the happy times you had with Bruiser.
Pancakes of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
mindless1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Thanks guys! Yes, he was just diagnosed with bone cancer. He has a sister, Isis, who is also a boxer (like him). I know she's going to miss him terribly too. They are very close, as evidenced by this adorable pic of them:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_0067.jpg

Here's me and him:
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...m/IMG_1754.jpg

I'm even more upset because my regular vet had originally diagnosed him with hip dysplasia. I've spent $2,500.00 over the past few months treating him for the hip dysplasia. It turns out that he never had hip dysplasia in the first place, he has bone cancer instead. Now, when I'm needing extra money to have him euthanized, and have him creamated and buy a nice urn for his ashes...I'm strapped for case because I've spent so much money treating somethig he never even had. I want to have a vet come do it at my home rather than taking him in to the vet office...I think that would be more peaceful and comfortable for him, but it's much more costly.

I wish there was a way I could demand some of my money back from my vet. None of that treatment was what he even needed. All it did was exhaust my monetary funds, all the while with the actual problem (the cancer) spreading. grr.

I'm going through close to the same thing. My pet dog has been diagnosed with hip displasia. She hasn't been eating and we have her on pain medication. The doctor said it's possible she might have cancer. So this seems along the same lines of what you had gone through. I hope we never put her down but she's been doing nothing but laying around staring into space.

I have been really sad about it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 AM   #23
Valerius

Sorry about your loss. I lost a boxer just like yours a few years back. His name was Buster and he died of kidney failure. We buried him in our backyard along with some of our other dead pets.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #24
chelseagirl

Aww, I'm sorry Mindless1. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it is only dysplasia, and not cancer.

Valerius: Aww, Bruiser has a brother named Buster.