Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #26
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Devildoll View Post
wow... ALL SHE WANTED WAS TIPS hahaha However that is true.... it is considered labeling yourself if you want to try the "Perky Goth"

According to Dictionary.com perky means –adjective, perk⋅i⋅er, perk⋅i⋅est.
jaunty; cheerful; brisk; pert.

I mean I can be perky and still not wear colors right??? I thought I could!!!
It's so true that it's actually laughable.

Yes you can, you don't need to be a perk goth. Being Perky and and Perk person can turn out to be two different categorys if you really think about it.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #27
The Divine Ms. M

I'm a mixed bag

part hippie goth part romantic goth and part victorian goth. Interesting....funnily enough, the outfit the victorian girl is wearing is sorta what I looked like today. I so love the illustrations-too cute.
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #28
Pineapple_Juice

So to sum up this whole thread, nobody knows what the hell a perkygoth is.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #29
Pineapple_Juice

PS I was reading these things and I am disturbed to find that I match quite spectacularly with the hippie goth, sans the religious aspect.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #30
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I do. But then I'm pretty old. Not an original vintage goth but at least an early 90s one. SiouxsiePernova hit the nail on the head back on page 1 - it's a self-depreciating term, a joke, rather than any actual kind of style.

If I recall, it all went down something like this:

"Oooh, those wannabes can't be real goths, they are wearing pink and being *shudder* cheerful. How can they be so perky? Do they not know that all life is doomed to end in entropy, decay and clove-cigarette-induced emphysema?"

"Perky? Yay! We are perkygoths! You mopeygoths don't know what you are missing! *bounce* *frolic*"

It was a joke against people who didn't get that you don't have to take yourself seriously. Which you don't, by the way. Hehe.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #31
Hearts_Purple

I've never heard of Perky Goffs wearing bright colors. That's really more of a Cyber Goth thing.

They do wear glitter/sparkly things and act perky, though.

I never understood the shunning of a 'label'. I'd rather label myself than have a million others do it for me.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #32
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
I've never heard of Perky Goffs wearing bright colors. That's really more of a Cyber Goth thing.

They do wear glitter/sparkly things and act perky, though.

I never understood the shunning of a 'label'. I'd rather label myself than have a million others do it for me.
See that's the thing, yes justify what you are, but in reality don't go shouting it out like "I"M GOTH" or "What do goths wear?" You don't ask, the idea is more a dark concept behind the clothing you choose that you feel fits the dark side rather than borrowing what others wear and posing it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #33
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowxMakerZ View Post
See that's the thing, yes justify what you are, but in reality don't go shouting it out like "I"M GOTH" or "What do goths wear?" You don't ask, the idea is more a dark concept behind the clothing you choose that you feel fits the dark side rather than borrowing what others wear and posing it.
I don't understand why, exactly, saying 'I'm Goth' to the world is a bad thing. I don't understand that mentality. It almost seems to assume that if you are comfortable enough with yourself to realize that a label can't truly encompass your whole being, that you can't be a Goth. A contradiction in terms if you ask me. Being an Elder, I guess makes some people more *meh* about such things.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
I don't understand why, exactly, saying 'I'm Goth' to the world is a bad thing. I don't understand that mentality. It almost seems to assume that if you are comfortable enough with yourself to realize that a label can't truly encompass your whole being, that you can't be a Goth. A contradiction in terms if you ask me. Being an Elder, I guess makes some people more *meh* about such things.
You seem to misunderstand me. We obviously know it's "meh" who cares, but the whole mentality you're thinking is different than what I'm talking about.

My point is that if you go telling everyone you meet that you're goth Ex: "Hi I'm goth" then what the hell? We didn't ask, we shouldn't have to worry about making SURE they know you're goth but let them figure it out or ask you. Why tell them if they have not asked you what you are?

You know there's a difference between telling everyone you're in fact a goth when they have not asked you than just letting them ask you or guess.

Understand? If not, we all have different views and why bother.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #35
Ophelia's Snorkel

All this self-labelling/others-labelling/what's my label/can I have this one please stuff - it's just a matter of the dog and his tail.

When you let the label control or limit you, you are letting the tail wag the dog. Disregard the misconceptions or pathetic attempts of the outside world to attach appropriate labels - they don't get it, there's no reason they should feel as though they have to get it, and it really isn't something anyone of us can control. Instead, think of the subculture as the tail and you as the dog. Do you let it direct and move you? Or do you consider it a part of you and contribute to its direction?

I know it sounds a bit silly to take it all so seriously, but if individuals aren't independently bringing in ideas and creativity, our subculture ends up as nothing but brainless clones. That's when our undead charm finally wears off. We'll be well and truly dead.

So, labels are useful, labels are fine. Just - don't set out to chase one. Let your relationship to whatever label you find yourself with be a symbiotic relationship.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #36
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowxMakerZ View Post
You know there's a difference between telling everyone you're in fact a goth when they have not asked you than just letting them ask you or guess.
A fine distinction, and one that needed making. I agree with you completely on this.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #37
ShadowxMakerZ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
So, labels are useful, labels are fine. Just - don't set out to chase one. Let your relationship to whatever label you find yourself with be a symbiotic relationship.
What wise words. +
Old 09-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #38
Red Menace

Quote:
There are no perkygoths, but if we did exist we would wear pink if we damned well wished to!
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #39
creature6

1. Get some new music. The first step of becoming a Glitter Goth is to appreciate the music more. Listen to the common Goth rock bands like Siouxsie And The Banshees, Bauhaus and The Cure for example. Also try getting into some Goth music that has a different feel to it like Bella Morte, Astrovamps and Joy Division. These are all great starters. Pick a few you like and learn more about them. Sometimes Glitter Goths tend to listen to EBM, Darkwave, Futurepop, Techno and Industrial bands, like Cyber Goths. Some great bands with an electronic feel to them are VNV Nation, Grendel, Neurotic Fish and KMFDM. But it's okay to listen to some of the new and old Pop or Hip Hop if that's your kind of style.
2. Get into new clothing. Stay away from clothing like skinny jeans and graphic tees, because you will be labeled a "Scene Kid" and that is so totally mainstream. Flare jeans are awesome. Get some jeans in a color you don't see too often like white or pink, but remember no skinny jeans. But make sure you have your good old trusty blue and black jeans too. White and black tanks, bright corsets, and band tees are popular. But try to mix it up a bit.
3. Invest in a good pair of boots. Most Goths have a good pair of combat or platform boots. Get some platform boots in your favorite color. They are usually black but can be found in white and pink too. Fuzzy ones are even better. But it is understood that not everyone likes platform boots, therefore brands like Dr. Martens have combat boots in all kinds of different colors and styles to fit your particular taste. Converse sells white boots that are great for drawing on and adding things like sparkles and sequins to.
4. Hair and makeup always vary. Common hairstyles are chin length bobs and short choppy pixie cuts. But this is all up to you, and some Glitter Goths like to just leave their hair natural. You can straighten it, curl it or crimp it however you like. Common colors are black or blonde. But you can mix it up a bit and get it bleached and dyed a bright color like pink or blue. Another option is dread falls. You can make these yourself or buy them offline. Read related Wiki Hows on the subject. Makeup can be anything you make it. However, to avoid being called “Scene” then move toward bright blue, pink and silver eyeshadows. They come in a large assortment of different colors. Some are metallic and some have sparkles in them. False eyelashes are really more Cyber Goth but still look fabulous. Again, read some related Wiki Hows on the subject.
5. Get some unique accessories. Silver or gold bangles are very classy and look amazing on anyone. If you look hard enough you can find them in colors like black, and pink too. Rubber bracelets come in all kinds of colors. But keep it simple and wear only one color or wear only one color with black ones. Long pearl necklaces in white are classy also. Wear a monocle if you happen to be able to get your hands on them.
6. Get the right attitude. We cannot stress this enough - but be yourself. Many Goths like to be the quiet type and can do many things like write stories, write poetry, paint, draw and design. Find something you like. Be nice to people, like a “social butterfly” as so to speak.
7. Hang out with people. Go places based on what you like. Go to conventions, galleries and clubs. Go to the movies and lunch with friends. Concerts and plays too. The sky is the limit.
8. Select your tools and toys. Popular with many but not all Glitter Goths carrying a small selection of toys with you can be an important part of the look. Typical toys include dolls, slinkies, bubble kits, bubble guns, stickers, crayons and markers. Tools include pen and paper, an iPod or other MP3 player and a digital camera.
9. Listen to the right music. Although a Glitter Goth's exact musical taste varies by the person, the majority listen to 80s Gothic rock such as Depeche Mode, The Cure, Bauhaus, Specimen, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Sex Gang Children, Joy Division, and Dead Can Dance.
* Popular contemporary bands include Switchblade Symphony, London After Midnight, The Cruxshadows, Kill Hannah, HIM, and Within Temptation.
10. Develop the Attitude. One cannot be a true Glitter Goth without the attitude. The key attitude for a Glitter Goth is perky. Don't act mopey and whiny; don't act preppy or scatter your language with 'likes' & 'OMGs!'. Eccentric, sweet, caring, are all words that would describe a Glitter Goth. You can act mean at sometimes, for example if someone bought the shoes you've been looking for a week, whine and then take your anger out of your friends, or better still, buy a stress ball.

there you are.
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #40
creature6

* If you have not dressed in Gothic clothing in the past this transition will be sudden. Try a slow change by incorporating some items of your current style with some from the Gothic style slowly adding more Gothic and removing more of the old.
* Try a slow change by incorporating some items of your current style with some from the Gothic style slowly adding more Gothic and removing more of the old.
* Don’t wear all black. Wear bright colors and not too much neon.
* Glitter and sequins look great with any outfit. Try glitter makeup, glitter dust, sequin headbands, stick on jewels, etc.
* Wear unique accessories such as fairy wings, tiaras, wands, glitter ballet slippers, ribbons in your hair, glitter nail polish, etc.If you have not dressed in Gothic clothing in the past this transition will be sudden.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #41
creature6

things you need

* Glitter
* Boots
* Sequins
* Rubber bracelets
* Pearl necklace
* Hair ribbons
* Glitter make-up
* Glitter nail polish
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #42
creature6

Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #43
creature6

Quote:

i do

They have a sweet and bubbly personality and like to stand out a bit. But let's not forget - they're still Goth.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #44
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature6 View Post
i do

They have a sweet and bubbly personality and like to stand out a bit. But let's not forget - they're still Goth.
Death from the Sandman comics would be the prime example of a 'Perkygoff'.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #45
Ko Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creature6 View Post
Stay away from clothing like skinny jeans and graphic tees, because you will be labeled a "Scene Kid" and that is so totally mainstream. Flare jeans are awesome. Get some jeans in a color you don't see too often like white or pink, but remember no skinny jeans.
Yeah, but skinny jeans just look GOOD on some body types, in the same way that wide leg jeans or high-waisted jeans look good on some people. I love skinny jeans, and who the hell cares if anyone thinks I'm a scenester because if they spent a few minutes with me, they would quickly learn that I'm not.

And that goes for anyone. :P
Ko Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #46
Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko Pilot View Post
Yeah, but skinny jeans just look GOOD on some body types, in the same way that wide leg jeans or high-waisted jeans look good on some people. I love skinny jeans, and who the hell cares if anyone thinks I'm a scenester because if they spent a few minutes with me, they would quickly learn that I'm not.

Ahhhh look at the common sense.....

Why bother with a label for oneself? Does wearing what one likes not matter?
I just wear what I like .....
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #47
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
Ahhhh look at the common sense.....

Why bother with a label for oneself? Does wearing what one likes not matter?
I just wear what I like .....
You're so awesome. Just don't give a shit.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #48
vindicatedxjin

Quote:

Ditto...I only wear skinny jeans...but then again I don't consider myself goth...if anything I AM more of a scenester style wise. I dunno it's all so absurd...

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #49
Solumina

Quote:
Yeah, but skinny jeans just look GOOD on some body types
I for one look fantastic in them but I'm slender with killer legs, most people who wear them don't really have that going for them so everyone just assumes that skinny jeans are bad.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #50
creature6

is that tread about skinny jeans?
no
so kindly go back in line to talk about what you are supposed to be talking about which is perky Goth.
otherwise i suggest you start a tread on skinny jeans.