Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Still Jack

Hundreds gather to meet Palin on first stop of book tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
Hundreds gather to meet Palin on first stop of book tour

Former Alaska governor to hit small towns across US to tout her bestselling memoir Going Rogue

Cover of Sarah Palin's book Going Rogue: An American Life. Photograph: AP/Harper

Cover of Sarah Palin's book Going Rogue: An American Life. Photograph: AP/Harper

Sarah Palin has reaffirmed her ability to pull in the crowds, with almost a thousand people queuing up for hours to attend her first book signing in Grand Rapids, Michigan today.

The first supporters to appear camped outside the town's Barnes & Noble bookstore overnight, and several hundred more were turned away by mid-morning as crowds gathered well ahead of the evening event.

Grand Rapids is the first of 25 stops in Palin's much-hyped book tour for her memoir Going Rogue: An American Life. The largely small-town venues, including Fort Wayne in Indiana and Washington, Pennsylvania, have been chosen more for their conservative Republican sympathies than for their traditional book-selling potential.

Grand Rapids is particularly resonant as the location of the start of the tour, as it is an influential power base for rightwing Republicans in the US heartlands. It is frequently chosen by politicians as a platform from which to launch political campaigns.

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and a Republican presidential candidate last year, came to Grand Rapids yesterday for a signing of his new book, A Simple Christmas, and was duly overshadowed by his potential rival from Alaska for the Republican nomination in 2012. He said of Palin: "I have great admiration for her. She's a rock star in our party."

Going Rogue — titled after the nickname McCain advisers pinned on Palin during the campaign after she went off-message — has been doing a roaring trade even before it hit bookshops yesterday. It has been towards the top of Amazon's bestselling list for weeks.

One person who will not be among the throngs queuing to buy it is Barack Obama, who said he was unlikely to read it. "She and I have different political philosophies and it's probably not the person I look to to see how our administration is doing," he told CBS in Beijing.

So far the week's closely orchestrated unveiling of the book has gone like clockwork for Palin, further boosting her already nationwide fame. Even negative publicity has worked in her favour.

When Newsweek put her on its cover this week with the headline "How do you solve a problem like Sarah?" it provoked a storm of protest about its choice of photograph, a shot of her in shorts with legs bare taken from Runner's World magazine.

She leapt on it, denouncing it as "sexist and oh-so-expected by now".

Claim and counterclaim swirled around the internet, which can only have been beneficial for Palin and her book, forcing a statement from Newsweek who insisted its picture selection had been "gender-neutral".
'Tis a dark day for literature and humanity. Here I was, think Twilight was already inhumane enough, then she comes along and makes my hope for humanity dwindle further into the abyss of shitty "literature", and worse politicians...
Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
LakitaJackson

I love how even though she's supposedly a symbol of feminism to the gullible, she manages to encourage traditional gender roles to the point of doctrine that screams "SERVE MEN, YOU BITCHES!!"

My favorite of her quotes:
"What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick."
Brava, Sarah.

Burn in hell you bitch.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Despanan

Palin is only popular because conservatives desperately need an Obama-level charismatic, so the party manufactured one. They found a face that was less than horrifying, created a mythology around her, and released their manyfactured star on a base desperate for someone to adore.

Did anyone else watch the RNC? They had her come out to pyrotechnics and open with a joke.

Unfortunately, their frankenstien monster quickly became a liability to the McCain campaign. She proved to be a total idiot and They lost. If god actually existed I'm sure she would have slinked back to wassila and died in obscurity, but alas; in this cold and impersonal universe her fetid husk rose to haunt our dreams anew. Now she's a symbol for every disenfranchised nut job in the nation to rally behind.

Is she still a serious political threat? I doubt it. But she will continue to leech money from her brain dead flock and piss me off in the meantime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
vindicatedxjin

Palin is nothing but an ass clown.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Palin is nothing but an ass clown.
Shut up, bigot.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
SweetJane

Ah, I thought this post was going to be this article, which is sort of the best part. http :/ /news. **********/s/ynews/ynews_ts988

Quote:
For the second time in just over a week, FoxFor the second time in just over a week, Fox News is coming under fire for misusing old news footage. The latest flap is leading some people to charge that the cable news network is intentionally misleading its audience, while Fox claims a "production error."

Wednesday's incident occurred when Fox News host Gregg Jarrett mentioned that a Sarah Palin appearance and book signing in Grand Rapids, Michigan had a massive turnout. As footage rolled of a smiling and waving Palin amidst a throng of fans, Jarrett noted that the former Republican vice-presidential candidate is "continuing to draw huge crowds while she's promoting her brand-new book,'' adding that the images being shown were "some of the pictures just coming in to us.... The lines earlier had formed this morning."

However, the video used in the segment was from a 2008 McCain/Palin campaign rally. In response to the minor uproar that arose after clips of Jarrett's report hit the Internet, Fox senior vice-president of news Michael Clemente issued an initial statement saying, "This was a production error in which the copy editor changed a script and didn't alert the control room to update the video."

News is coming under fire for misusing old news footage. The latest flap is leading some people to charge that the cable news network is intentionally misleading its audience, while Fox claims a "production error."

Wednesday's incident occurred when Fox News host Gregg Jarrett mentioned that a Sarah Palin appearance and book signing in Grand Rapids, Michigan had a massive turnout. As footage rolled of a smiling and waving Palin amidst a throng of fans, Jarrett noted that the former Republican vice-presidential candidate is "continuing to draw huge crowds while she's promoting her brand-new book,'' adding that the images being shown were "some of the pictures just coming in to us.... The lines earlier had formed this morning."

However, the video used in the segment was from a 2008 McCain/Palin campaign rally. In response to the minor uproar that arose after clips of Jarrett's report hit the Internet, Fox senior vice-president of news Michael Clemente issued an initial statement saying, "This was a production error in which the copy editor changed a script and didn't alert the control room to update the video."
It's the best thing ever, having just read Propaganda by Edward Bernays.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
SweetJane

Goddamnit, I can't post the link. It's a yahoo news story.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Beneath the Shadows

Tinyurl it.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakitaJackson View Post
I love how even though she's supposedly a symbol of feminism to the gullible, she manages to encourage traditional gender roles to the point of doctrine that screams "SERVE MEN, YOU BITCHES!!"

My favorite of her quotes:
"What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick."
Brava, Sarah.

Burn in hell you bitch.
Not to mention she's anti-choice to the point where she allowed victims to be charged for their r@pe kits (r@pe kits contain emergency contraceptive) and thinks pregnant r@pe victims should carry to term. She's only "feminist" when she wants to look like the victim.

I've read quotes from the book, its pretty fucking funny and horribly written. I can't believe someone with worse grammar than I have nearly became Vice President.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Not to mention she's anti-choice to the point where she allowed victims to be charged for their r@pe kits (r@pe kits contain emergency contraceptive) and thinks pregnant r@pe victims should carry to term. She's only "feminist" when she wants to look like the victim.
I remember that. It's quite sad that she basically wants to offer no support to r@pe victims. I can only imagine the trauma of giving birth to your rapists child. Also, coupled with postpartum depression, it would be especially crushing.

And the fact that she's against the day-after pill is just asinine, It has nothing to do with abortion. Same goes for you, Walmart!