Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-29-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Neurosis

Has CyberGoth Gone Too Far?

Searching through the Internet, I have read upon one of those "This is what Goth really is" page, and the author said that CyberGoths are "annoying, colorful ravers with the word Goth slapped onto their label".

There are many branches in the Goth culture, but as to draw the line on CyberGoth, the people surrounding that specific culture, are they really extending society's belief on Goth in general? Attitudes, music, anything is subject to talk about.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Indeed, someone must set a boundary between cybergoths and ravers.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
BlackButterfly

Ravers seem to gravitate towards cybergoths because they like neon lights, glowing things and bright coloring.
Since many cybergoths come equipped with all of these findings, they are found in the same circles, so sometimes it's a bit hard to distinguish who's who...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Splintered

"Why would you waste your time caring?", is my question. If they're Cybergoths, they're Cybergoths. If they're ravers, they're ravers. If they're Cybergoths who call themself Ravers, they're Cybergoths who call themself Ravers, and vice versa. There. That's pretty much all there is too it.

Just leave 'em alone. If you don't like 'em, don't hang around with 'em, and if you do like 'em, hang around with 'em. I'd argue there is so much more importance in other issues, then worrying about a little title.
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Neurosis

Nice one there.

Most other people would divert themselves from a thread that they feel are pointless, but this is what I have found online.

I am only curious on what others have to say. Let others have a chance to say their opinions. If people have opinions, they can voice it, that's all I want to hear. If no one replies, then this thread is dead and that's the end of that. Why worry when that happens?

--Neurosis
Old 09-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Splintered

I never said it's pointless, I'm just wondering why you would care.

If someone has a justified reason as to why they would care, they can go ahead and post it.
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I have begun to notice in both conversations and internet communiques that some people are dropping the suffix and are just saying "cyber". Maybe the delineation and separation has already begun.

Neurosis: I like your "darling apple"'s radioactive logo goggles, most excellent!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
c130

When I say "cyber" on its own, I'm generally using it as a very general term, encompassing all things sci-fi. Cyberpunk and cybergoth are the two main cyber branches, and they're both different enough to warrant the effort of typing another four letters at the end. :o
For me, a cybergoth is a regular goth who's a wee bit geeky, or into science fiction and technology. I.E. Someone such as myself.
On the other hand, a raver would be someone who likes to go dancing with drugs, bright clothes and loud techno, but whose culture, to put it mildly, isn't quite as flavoursome as goth is. A cyberpunk is to punk as cybergoth is to goth - take a culture and add some geek.

I say, who cares what the world thinks about goths? They don't care about us, and most of them would never understand why we choose to be goth, let alone figure out the subtleties between the different gothic flavours...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
BlackButterfly

::applause::

Well said, c130, well said!

You know, I have never tried doing that look (the construction factor alone seems mind-boggling...). Now that the subject has come up, I would like to see me in cybergoth...

::mental sketching::
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 AM   #10
Neurosis

Yes, c130, a great answer.

I say it's just another culture, and even if we do explain properly, most people would not ever understand.

HumanePane: I always have my Goggles, thank you.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #11
dark_dragon_of_ice

You have googles cool, I have always wanted a a pair they look awsome =D
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #12
Neurosis

Yes, I have two Goggles. One is a Cy-X style with a blue radioactive symbol. The other were custom made: pink with splattered white and black dots frame, and circuit board lenses (real computer circuit board), while one is normal color, the other a blue.

You can get your custom made goggles from Jaded Dreads, a website who makes excellent dreads, wigs, Goggles, and even the owner is very friendly! They also have other extreme, "Jaded Dreads" designs.

http://www.jadeddreads.com

--Neurosis
Old 09-30-2006, 03:32 AM   #13
c130

I like the Cy-X style goggles you're wearing, they suit you. I saw them in Cyberdog in London when I visited during the summer, but didn't fancy buying a pair for myself since they were 25 pounds and uncustomised.
These handmade beauties are more my sort of thing. I've ordered a pair of 'em along with four pairs of different coloured lenses and a heap of graphic slides, and I can't wait to start wearing them... The guy who makes them is really friendly as well.

Is it appropriate to wear goggles as part of an everyday outfit? I mean, does anyone?
Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 AM   #14
dark_dragon_of_ice

I command you all to post at least somthing in this thread i made =D https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=3754
Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #15
c130

WTF? Lay off the crack, man.
Old 09-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #16
dark_dragon_of_ice

Hey!!. I have no crack problems sir
Old 09-30-2006, 04:02 AM   #17
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
These handmade beauties are more my sort of thing. I've ordered a pair of 'em along with four pairs of different coloured lenses and a heap of graphic slides, and I can't wait to start wearing them... The guy who makes them is really friendly as well.

Is it appropriate to wear goggles as part of an everyday outfit? I mean, does anyone?
::gasp::

Beautiful! That was one of the things in my sketch and I was just about to give up on doing all out cybergoth because all the goggles I found on eBay were expensive and plain, or expensive and hideous.

I have always liked goggles (I look good in them ), but I only own two pair and they're pretty low-tech... if they went with more of my wardrobe, I think I would wear a pair more often. (I like to do my hair up really high and elaborate when I wear them because my head's pretty small...)

Since you have the four pair of lenses to switch out (an awesome concept--never thought about it), does that make them more wardrobe-versatile?

c130
Old 09-30-2006, 04:37 AM   #18
c130

Yeah absolutely, it'll give you loads of freedom to wear them with whatever colour your outfit is, though it does get more expensive with the more lenses you want. Nicolas (the guy who makes it all) sells additional lenses at 2 pounds per lens, but when the goggles themselves cost 40 pounds to start with, spending a few more pounds don't hurt too badly for the extra flexability. I bought bright UV orange, red, green and blue lenses, and I'll be able to make my own black, white and clear ones out of plastic and stuff lying around the house. Plus all the interchangeable graphics slides are free, so you can have as many as you like, and you can give the guy your own designs to print out for you for free as well (though they only come in black ink on clear plastic).

You could use these free slides to create yourself an extra few sets of lens colours for free though; if you bought a pair of clear uncoloured acrylic lenses to begin with, you could ask for a bunch of un-printed graphic slides to be included so you can colour them in yourself. Use black and coloured permanent markers, acrylic paints, spraypaint, coloured adhesive film... You could even draw on them with a thin marker, so you could write your name, draw little art nouveau flowers, draw doodles, do little tribal shapes, etc. Maybe use a whiteboard marker so you can wipe them clean and make a new design whenever you like, then just flip it over when you fit it into the goggles so the marker side is down and protected from being rubbed off while in use.

If you're serious about buying these goggles, you should get a pair with a neutral coloured lining (black, white or clear rather than any of the bright colours) so you can switch and change the lens colours freely. I'll post a review (with photos) in a week or so when they arrive.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:49 AM   #19
unedifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
"Why would you waste your time caring?", is my question. If they're Cybergoths, they're Cybergoths. If they're ravers, they're ravers. If they're Cybergoths who call themself Ravers, they're Cybergoths who call themself Ravers, and vice versa. There. That's pretty much all there is too it.

Just leave 'em alone. If you don't like 'em, don't hang around with 'em, and if you do like 'em, hang around with 'em. I'd argue there is so much more importance in other issues, then worrying about a little title.

You just saved me writing two paragraphs. lol

I second this.
unedifying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
OnixxFilth

Eh, I don't think the whole cybergoth look suits me. I'm more "RomantiGoth", as the book What is Goth? by Voltaire calls it. Essentially, I like to wear a lot of black, flowy skirts and stuff that looks old-fashioned.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #21
Haunted House

I've always noticed that Cybergoths tend to stick in their own little circles. Not saying that all Cybergoths are pretentious jerks, but, some of the people who could be considered Cybergoths that I've come in contact with have scoffed at me for not liking what they do. I was seriously told not talk to a certain one because I don't like Mindless Self Indulgence. On the topic of Ravers, I've noticed that the tend to enjoy any chance they get to go to a rave and do drugs and bounce around in UFO pants with glow sticks to blaring techno.

I guess when it comes down to it, the main differences are parts of the wardrobe and the music. (i.e. hairfalls and EBM for Cybergoths and UFO pants and some kind of bizarre DJ that no ones ever heard of for Ravers.) Also Cybergoths tend to frequent the local goth club and ravers go to other places that raves are held like an abandoned werehouse or a cornfield or soething.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #22
badteccy

Haaahaa...a cornfield? I love you.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:16 AM   #23
Haunted House

There have been raves in cornfields before I think. At least in movies.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #24
PersephoneX

lol...the farmers here rent arts of their feilds to trance people...they go out there and listen to trance music and take mushrooms...its kinda gross cos those dandrophilliac hippies hang out there!!!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #25
chelseagirl

I'm big time into hair extensions and falls. I wear them almost every day, and even make and sell them. I love bright colors, and love the UV reactive hair, but I'm not into the cyberlox, foam, or rexlace extensions/falls, nor do I like goggles, or those florescent shaggy-haired leg warmers much. However, I do have a few friends that do, and would probably fall into the "cyber goth" label, but actually most of my friends are either punks or skinheads. I'm not very familiar with ravers. I know that alot of "goths" shittalk on "cyber goths" and say that they are annoying, yada, yada, yada, but really, who cares? (unless maybe you have some rare disease that makes neon colors physically painful to look at, haha) People should just be able to be who and what they want, and express themselves freely, regardless of whether it "blurs" the lines between one genre/sub-genre, or not, and regardless of whether it annoys others.