Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
AngelikDemonik

Best concert...

What is the best show you've ever been to?

Mine would have to be the Dresden Dolls, when I seen them in November of 2005. They played at St. Andrew's Hall with openers DevotchKa and Faun Fables. The Dolls came out dressed intially as Meg and Jack White (this show took place in Detroit, and the White Stripes are from Detroit), sang part of their song "Doorbell" and then stripped out to their normal garb. There were mimes, contortionists, fire-breathers, and acrobats. They played fantastic, as well. It rocked.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
TopHaggardDoll

Marilyn Manson at Reading festival 2005.

Amazing show, it was genius. They played so well and didn't have a punch up.

The way he came out onstage...oh my God...they had this massive black curtain so you couldn't see the stage...and we waited for like...ages....THEN! the curtain dropped...and he started doing that rhyme from the old school Willy Wonka film and had was swinging this huge chandelier thing.

Best show ever.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
What is the best show you've ever been to?

Mine would have to be the Dresden Dolls, when I seen them in November of 2005. They played at St. Andrew's Hall with openers DevotchKa and Faun Fables. The Dolls came out dressed intially as Meg and Jack White (this show took place in Detroit, and the White Stripes are from Detroit), sang part of their song "Doorbell" and then stripped out to their normal garb. There were mimes, contortionists, fire-breathers, and acrobats. They played fantastic, as well. It rocked.
DUDE. Before I even opened this thread, my immediate response was going to be, "The Dresden Dolls"! How funny is it that you also chose them for your fave concert?

I actually saw them last Friday in Atlanta. <3 I also saw Amanda Palmer's solo "Birfday" show last April in Nashville (where I met Amanda, got her autograph, & took a photo with her). Amanda and Brian both fucking ROCK my socks. They put on an AMAZING show. I can't wait for her solo tour & I hope she comes nearby again.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
DUDE. Before I even opened this thread, my immediate response was going to be, "The Dresden Dolls"! How funny is it that you also chose them for your fave concert?

I actually saw them last Friday in Atlanta. <3 I also saw Amanda Palmer's solo "Birfday" show last April in Nashville (where I met Amanda, got her autograph, & took a photo with her). Amanda and Brian both fucking ROCK my socks. They put on an AMAZING show. I can't wait for her solo tour & I hope she comes nearby again.
Yes, they are amazing. I WISH I could meet either of them. The last time Amanda was here was for the True Colors tour (I think that's what it was called), but unfortunately, the tickets were very expensive due to the other artists coming along.

If you have the pictures on your computer, I definately would LOVE to see them. =)
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
ZyklonB

Hands down got to say Skinny Puppy back in June of last year. I loved the opening artist Otto Von Schriach. Breakcore for a laugh!

Second place goes to Combichrist/Psyclon Nine. They both put on very good live shows. Psyclon Nine is an industrial band that actually plays INSTRUMENTS ON STAGE! Oh my goth!
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Duane

Okay, before anyone say anything, I hardly ever get to go anywhere outside this town, and there is no major concert hall, where good bands perform at... so forgive me when I say...

That a Scott Stapp/INXS concert was my fave concert.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
KontanKarite

Either Cruxshadows or Voltaire. CXS being one of my favorite bands, but the Voltaire one, I got to do a duet with the man.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #8
dreamydancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyklonB
Hands down got to say Skinny Puppy back in June of last year. I loved the opening artist Otto Von Schriach. Breakcore for a laugh!

Second place goes to Combichrist/Psyclon Nine. They both put on very good live shows. Psyclon Nine is an industrial band that actually plays INSTRUMENTS ON STAGE! Oh my goth!
What?! That was their worst tour ever!!! Watching the opening act made me want to kill myself. I still wanna kick Ogre's ass back to a time when they didn't sound like boring ass death metal live. And gawd, I hate moshpits.

Sorry, I know you have your own tastes but I was very disappointed with that show.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
dreamydancer

I enjoyed the Depeche Mode concert in 2005 verrry much. I think it was the Playing The Angel Tour or something. I did not care for the opening act, The Bravery, or whatever. Teeeheee, I love how nobody gave them recognition or watched at all.

I know it's really wussy and lame to say Depeche Mode was my favorite show but I have not seen very many bands. Though I do enjoy listening to a heavy amount of music till I go deaf, concerts are not actually that great to me. I don't like the typical behavior at live shows. Music also lacks that wonderful studio quality sound, rather it tends to be sloppy and unfocused. I highly prefer dancing to my favorite music at a club or listening to it at home than being next to some annoying fat redneck jumping up and screaming. I also hated being pushed into a moshpit and being felt-up by crappy ugly greasy guys who stink.

Sometimes I go because I don't want to regret passing up an opportunity to see a band I truly admire.

But hey, that's just me. I talk too much.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyklonB

LMAO @ Psyclon 9 being described as "good"
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
ZyklonB

Hey hey, they are good live all right. Their studio stuff is decent, but you got to give them credit for their live act!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
ZyklonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamydancer
What?! That was their worst tour ever!!! Watching the opening act made me want to kill myself. I still wanna kick Ogre's ass back to a time when they didn't sound like boring ass death metal live. And gawd, I hate moshpits.

Sorry, I know you have your own tastes but I was very disappointed with that show.
I know they did bad at a few shows, like he looked tired or something, but at some he actually did pretty well. I know old puppy pulled off WAAAAY better shows, but hey, I'm only 16, so sue me, I haven't been to very many in my life as some have. But I still have to say I loved it, and the fact that he played some old songs you know. Worlock... yay!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
Linen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Yes, they are amazing. I WISH I could meet either of them. The last time Amanda was here was for the True Colors tour (I think that's what it was called), but unfortunately, the tickets were very expensive due to the other artists coming along.

If you have the pictures on your computer, I definately would LOVE to see them. =)
Sure!

pic of Amanda Palmer w/myself & my friends

I'm on the FAR RIGHT. My hair is really long (about waist-length), but it's pulled back in a ponytail so you can't tell.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linen
Sure!

pic of Amanda Palmer w/myself & my friends

I'm on the FAR RIGHT. My hair is really long (about waist-length), but it's pulled back in a ponytail so you can't tell.

You lucky, lucky girl! I'm jealous....but happy you got to meet her =)
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Sekhmet~
Oh, my! I'd have to say, my favorite way the Emperor show. Fuck it was great! The place was filled with fat, nasty metal heads though, so I had a small fear of being crushed. I've not had that much fun since. Not to mention it was their last American tour! It was at a pretty small place, so the main floor was packed. I had the best spot in the fucking place though, because I had my 5 inch boots on, and I stood behind my boyfriend in a railing, (and could see over everyone!) I was about 8 feet at most from the stage. I got fucking great pictures too!

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=178 503988&albumId=878559

If you care to look, I'll make it open till this thread dies.
Your linky no worky

EDIT: Nevermind thats just my computer. Double

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
MOUSEBLOOD

My favorite concert was sometime in 86 or 87. I was in a band that at the time was getting alot of press as a "gothic" act. We were pretty tired of setting up all the effects and electronics so we decided to do this particular show in a more punk tradition. Didn't think it would matter because most of the other acts were punk and we had been more of a punk act at one time. Well, we were literally attacked by the audience and someone set my pants on fire. That was a great show.
MOUSEBLOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #17
L'Oiseau Noir

I once dreamed I attended an Emilie Autumn concert.

It was pretty rad.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Bella Sophia

Ah, sadly, I've never been to a concert. Honestly, the closest I've ever been to seeing a concert was watching this band perform at the mall... (they really reminded me of Fall Out Boy. In any case, their name was Kiros, I believe.)
Arg! I was so mad that Bullet for my Valentine came to my city and I wasn't able to go!
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #19
honeythorn

In terms of Goth bands, I've only seen the Mission, and they were brilliant. I was pretty much in my usual place in front row centre, so the view was superb. Deliverance was the highlight for me. Really great song and the WHOLE crowd got into it. He came down to the barrier to sing and I stroked his arm! I stroked the Hussey! Although at this point someone managed to get his tie off, and he never got it back. This is where the legend of the Weretie begins....
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
Tha Duckman

Pixies.

The people there rock. They hand each other cups of water, beer, so on, and if they have spare drugs, Hell, take 'em!
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
MIRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUSEBLOOD
My favorite concert was sometime in 86 or 87. I was in a band that at the time was getting alot of press as a "gothic" act. We were pretty tired of setting up all the effects and electronics so we decided to do this particular show in a more punk tradition. Didn't think it would matter because most of the other acts were punk and we had been more of a punk act at one time. Well, we were literally attacked by the audience and someone set my pants on fire. That was a great show.
I've seen a video of that concert. You forgot to mention that the band before you got into a fist fight and that's why the the audience was so reved up.
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 AM   #22
le_revenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUSEBLOOD
Damn, that sounds straight out of Henry Rollins' Get in the Van!
Fave concert?
Hmn..I dunno.
- Metallica in '89 on the ...Justice tour with Queensryche opening is a major contender as both had yet to cross into mainstream
- LA punk gods X at a dive in Austin a few years back was a MAJOR fave.
- I would list Bauhaus from 2 years ago on the NIN tour except NIN made the goth gods go on at our outdoor venue at 6:30 p.m in broad daylight! Couple that with our town's mostly Hot Topic audience not knowing who the hell they were watching (and responding accordingly) & I had a major WTF moment there.
- Shirley Manson & Garbage in Austin back in 1998 is probably my fave b/c they were just so ON that night. No Doubt in 1996 was pretty bitchin' too.
- Stray Cats last summer ranks pretty high for me as of late.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #23
Delkaetre

Um... Voltaire was entertaining, but I was so far from the stage.
Siouxie was good, but I had to climb a pillar to see (damn goths and their big hair). Now that I think of it, many potential favourite gigs have been ruined by Big Hair or the Tall Bastard Who Stands At The Very Front, Never Mind All The Shorter People.
My favourite show was probably either Zombina at B&V, one of the Screaming Banshee Aircrew gigs in Leeds, or Rome Burns at Woolstock. Those guys never fail to entertain- and they're all so bloody wonderful!
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM   #24
tickingstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Either Cruxshadows or Voltaire. CXS being one of my favorite bands, but the Voltaire one, I got to do a duet with the man.

I have always wanted to see Voltaire~ He is amazing...

Ummmm The Cure on the Dream Tour in 2000, the Faint this last year or Animal Collective.

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote