Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

View Poll Results: What is Your religion
Aethist 18 31.03%
Wiccan 4 6.90%
Christian 13 22.41%
Buddist 0 0%
Jewish 0 0%
Muslim 0 0%
Hindu 0 0%
Other (please explain) 23 39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #26
raineofblood

*forgot to reply to Draconysius' post*

Draconysius: You don't care to know. That's reasonable. I really think most people who do care to know are looking for guidance because they cannot find it by themselves. That is, I'm not saying all religious people are like that but the ones who go crazy and "devote" their entire lives to the God they believe in. I believe in moderation, Especially in religion.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #27
Vako

Well, I voted "other", because the poll is missing the following major world-views;

Asatru
Necromancy
Vivimancy
Skinhead
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #28
vampyremage

Excuse my ignorance, but skinhead is a religion? I am also curious to know what vivimancy is.
vampyremage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #29
Vako

Skinhead is an ideology. Vivimancy is related to Asatru.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
vampyremage

Ah. Thankyou.
vampyremage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM   #31
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineofblood
dark_dragon_of_ice: Read this and tell me aethism isn't a religion
re·li·gion /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ [ri-lij-uhn]
–noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
“Atheism is religion the same way that NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.” - Scott Adams.
In any case, your post proves atheism is not a religion:
when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #32
Vako

Atheism is saying "I do not profess a religion or faith" Is that right, Jillian? That is what I think it means.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #33
Godslayer Jillian

Atheism is believing that there is positive evidence that there is no god.

Some people still argue that atheism is a religion because of the word 'belief', but if this is so, then virtually everything is a religion:
-having best friends (you believe they like you at the very least)
-being a sports fan (you believe the Jets are the best team)
-trusting in you mother (you believe she'll be there for you)
-not smoking tobacco (you believe it will give you cancer)

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #34
Vako

I find your outlook to be blunt, and realistic, maybe pragmatic. In a person, that is probably good, I don't know. Don't you believe in anything? Do you feel that you have a soul or spirit?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #35
Cyntrox

Am I the only one who finds arguing over that label pointless? I mean, sure, call atheism whatever you want, it's still atheism! Besides, it all started by someone stating that it should not be an option in such a poll, but it is obviously appropriate.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #36
Vako

I didn't say that. Must have been someone else.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #37
Cyntrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
atheism isnt a religion.
Never said it was you But that's where it all started.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #38
MollyMac

Meh, just a Unitarian Universalist. I love the smell of my own farts up here on my soapbox

XD
Old 05-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #39
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Meh, just a Unitarian Universalist. I love the smell of my own farts up here on my soapbox

XD
Ha !!!

That gave me a laugh. By the way, just to let you know, my high-horse stands on a soapbox. It's snout reaches the microphone. And like that.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #40
MollyMac

Ah, so you are familiar with UU's then, eh? *snicker*

We love the high horses. I get all friendly with them up here. Not in a Catherine the Great way, but all the same.

The running joke in our cvenant group is that our minds are so open our brains spilled out onto the floor.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:01 PM   #41
raggedyanne

I change my mind daily about everything I have an opinion on. I think that atheism is more of a decision than a religion.

Talking to god is devotion, having him talk back is schizophrenia.
-unknown
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #42
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Don't you believe in anything? Do you feel that you have a soul or spirit?
I believe in a soul or spirit only so far as I can use it poetically. I don't believe there is a soul, but I believe there should be a soul, and some virtuous people do have it.
It's nothing but a metaphor for people whose lives and ideals are as I wish everyone's were.
One must live as if one's own values should be the ones everyone must follow. (by the way, I did not copy that from Sartre. I already had this opinion before discovering he stole it from me decades before I was born)

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #43
raineofblood

I really want this to be the very last argument on whether atheism is a religion or what not. Godslayer Jillian, you said that if by definition atheism is a religion because of the word belief, and so those other beliefs would also be religion, I believe that those too are religion. What you believe, the set of rules you follow, those are your beliefs and your religion for if you believe something you should follow that belief as one follows one's religion. Therefore leading back to the fact that all your beliefs are your religion. But, all the same this argument is fruitless. It's like arguing whether action figures are the same as dolls since dolls are children's toys made in the form of a human and so an action figure would be a doll but some beg to differ. My, I'm glad I started this thread.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:31 PM   #44
Godslayer Jillian

The thing is that when someone says "Well, atheism is also a religion." it's as if they thought they were winning an argument.
My whole point is this:
Atheist- "All religions are bad"
Christian- "Well, atheism is also a religion"
Atheist- "Only so far as having best friends is a religion"
Christian- "Well, then having best friends is also a religion"
Atheist- "Now we have entered in an issue of semantics in which your definition of religion is too different to my definition of religion; therefore your response to my opinion of religion (parting from your definition of religion, has nothing to do with the conversation."

Or, in a nutshell:
Atheist- "I'm an atheist"
Christian- "Atheism is also a religion"
Atheist- "So?"
But the second one doesn't do justice to the first one.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #45
KontanKarite

How about an Atheist Christian?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #46
Godslayer Jillian

Can't see how that applies, as a Christian believes in Jesus as God.
You could say an Atheist Christian is an atheist that follows Jesus' teachings, but again, it comes down to semantics; plus, I don't think an atheist would like to be called a Christian.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #47
raineofblood

Ah ah ah. Once more a stereotype. I do not believe Jesus is God or the son of God. He was naught but a messenger.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:23 PM   #48
Cyntrox

Stereotype? Are you saying that Jesus was not, by Christian beliefs, the son of God?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #49
raineofblood

On the contrary. If you talk to others and listen to people you will find out. These bastards who call themselves priests are assholes. The son of God? Well then, who's the mother? God can't have a baby you idiots. I know one hundred percent from researching other religions which also talk about Christ that he said "we are ALL children of God" metaphorically and then his words were twisted around. So generally the Son of God belief is the belief of probably ninety eight percent of Christians, but don't forget the other two percent. (Like Me)
Old 05-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #50
raggedyanne

I believe that Jesus was a man who, like Buddah, preached a message of love and tolerance. I do not believe he had any divine parentage and he never talked about hell or damnation. Later writers added that to the bible.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote