Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
PersephoneX

Your own band

heya spooky kids!

i was thinking about this while posting an ad for a drummer, for my own band...
how many of you guys play an instrument? what is it? how many of you have bands or play in bands? what kinds? do you do shows? what kind of hardware are you wielding?
i'm in two bands at the moment: a metal band and a punk band. my metal band plays along the veins of slipknot, Metallica, Iron maiden, rob zombie and korn. its alot of fun...
my punk band plays alot of oi! with a bit of necromantix and murderdolls in for good measure...as many of you know i'm a bassist and i play a cute little black Cort, four string. we dont play shows but my last band did...

anyways, interested to see what comes up...
and piano and violin counts!!!

I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Born Again

I've been playing the cello for six years....

I was playing the guitar for awhile, but recently quit to devote more time into the cello.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
PersephoneX

i heard that the cello is very hard to get into. is it?
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-23-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
Born Again

It's like any other instrument, it requires practice.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Cadaveria Fan

I play in two bands: Suicide Attempt and The After Birth of God with my ex-girlfriend.

Suicide Attempt is hard to name a band that sounds like it, but its death metal. And the After Birth I guess its metal, but Im not sure theres so many types of metal I get lost from time to time.

In Suicide I play bass and I do the vocals. In After Birth I do guitars, bass, and vocals. Bass for 2 years and guitar for about 4 now. But I also play drums on the side.
Cadaveria Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
PersephoneX

lol...a jack of all trades ay?
i started playing bass in high school...then i dropped it for a long time. i guess i stagnated. but now i play bass like a beast...and i'm trying to learn to play the guitar. the strings are so much thinner...it hurts!
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
RadioactiveFrog

I play keyboard and synth. I am in a band....kind of....but I'm the only one with an instrument at the moment! It's hard to define our sound, across between Green Carnation, London After Midnight and Children of Bodom.
RadioactiveFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Haunted House

I play in a band. I play bass. My girlfriend (badteccy on these forums) sings and we joined up with our friends who play guitar and the keys andf after searching for a bit found a drummer. We're a full band, but we're still in an experimental phase. I believe that we're aiming for something Batcave-y/Cinema Strange-ish. We played at a halloween themed event at our singer's school just last night. We had all of our instruments draped in cotton cobwebs. It was great and people liked us... probably cause we covered 'Halloween' by the Misfits. Hahaha.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
cradle

I play in a Punk band and a .... lets just say its Ethnic metal.
A little Egyptian and spanish and other things thrown in...
The punk band sounds like the early things like...misfits...with a little social distortion thrown in.
And the metal is like Nile...at best.
I play guitar in the metal band And the punk band isn't so organized right now, I might do vocals.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
badteccy

Yea, my band rocks. We all have different tastes but they still connect. I feel like we are kind of like a family ( I've been dubbed the "mommy" of the group). LOVES IT!
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

I play in a couple of bands, I play bass, drums, guitar, didgeredoo, keyboard...but i've been playing drums for about 5 years now, to give you an idea of my skill level i play stuff like slayer and cradle of filth alot. Im in a drag queen band . We play horror punk stuff, punk with horror style and lyrics, think wednesday 13 and his bands...like Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13. My other band hasn't been active for a while...we're on a hiatus, that one plays metal with a bit of goth style in there. the first band has some up coming gigs and the second one has done a couple. Oh I play drums in both but i write guitar and bass and lyrics for alot of songs.
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 PM   #12
PersephoneX

wicked!
i love horror punk! its alot of fun...i play cradle too! slayer is fun as a warm up to practice, while everyone tries to recover from hangovers from the night before's galavanting.

has anyone found that the level of "metal" and "punk" that people are playing now has dropped in the past few years? like the whole three chord theory/anarcho/beastial thing has gone out the window and been replaced by middle-classed-white-boys that steal bits and pieces or songs from other bands or even eachother? i'm just concerned that all the "punk" bands sound exactly the same...and the metal bands are all screamo...

also can anyone suggest a good program to design gig flyers?
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #13
Cadaveria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
lol...a jack of all trades ay?
i started playing bass in high school...then i dropped it for a long time. i guess i stagnated. but now i play bass like a beast...and i'm trying to learn to play the guitar. the strings are so much thinner...it hurts!
Yeah, I try to play anything I can get my hands on. My friend has a cello and he said its just like bass, but its taller then me and with no frets its so hard to get the notes to ring. And I play bass for a few hours then switch to guitar and the change is so weird, like from holding a watermelon to holding a grape pretty much. But music started for me in 4th grade, played the trumpet in my school's band.
Cadaveria Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #14
PersephoneX

lol...i have respect for trumpetters cause they can play in ska bands...
i hate guitar...its just too small and the strings are thin and i end up feeling stupidly big...its silly. but bass. its manly, robust!
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #15
badteccy

Also, drummers are a BITCH to find. We have a great drummer right now, but he is leaving June 3rd to go to Iraq.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #16
PersephoneX

drummers ARE hard to find...its wierd! we put up some ads for drummers and we got a great response, but when we wanted to set up jam sessions, they were like "no, i dont have a kit, but i can play drums!"
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-28-2006, 04:39 AM   #17
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

Hah yeah that's annoying, around here for singers its impossible to find any, I get asked to join a band at least twice a month...apparently Im the only really decent drummer around where I live so yeah. Places to practice are hard for us too...I live in the middle of nowhere, I have to go 26 miles to go to school, and to go see my friends i have to catch a bus 26 miles or more every weekend, my drumkits are at mine so its really difficult. we try to practice at school but teachers get stressed out cause we draw big crowds outside the music block cause everyone can hear us and apparently it's off putting if theyre trying to have a meeting. Plus my mum has M.E so she cant really take my drum kit to a hall to practice all the time. =/
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #18
VampiricYouth

Darkwave/Industrial - Endtime

Only member ^_^

www.myspace.com/theendtime
VampiricYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #19
Lia

I play guitar and sing in Suicide With Hatred. Cheesy name.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #20
Argine

I play flute. Yea, pretty badass.

Actually, I'd love to play it in a band.
Argine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 AM   #21
cradle

Holy hell...these people want us to play some shows for them....
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:32 PM   #22
homo-adonis

I sang for a goth band in South Fla 15 years ago and had a pretty bad situation arise. We were new and looking for places to play and the fellow who was booking our gigs did not have a clue on what he was doing and booked us into a bar that catered to and played southern fried rock! you know what I mean real Hillbilly deliverance shit . The 25 or so people in the audience that could still stand on their own would not stop yelling at us to play Freebird. In beetween every song we played All I could hear were people yelling Get off Faggots! we only did 5 songs ending with a Doors cover of Strange Days to see if the crowd would become less hostile. It did not help. We had to run off stage when the first bottle made its way up there. And did not get paid to boot. I think the leather harness and collar look was not appealing to that crowd.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
PersephoneX

ha ha...that must be a nightmare!
i wonder if i'd get lynched for adding another two guitarists and someone on synth to my metal band?

my perfect band would be: 4 guitarists, 1 synth, 1 drummer, 2 bassists, 1 singer, 1 screamer.
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 11-08-2006, 08:43 AM   #24
Yurikai

I can play the piano, but not by ear unfortunately....I am learning the guitar and I can sing. I can probably sing an octave below Amy Lee.....just depends.

And no, I'm not in a band, but wish I was....I don't know enough talented people and it's hard to be a one person band unless you wanted to do the solo thing which I do not.

I also write lyrics to songs.
Yurikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #25
Linen

Don't laugh - I play flute and piccolo as well as piano. I'm better at the woodwinds than piano because I practiced those a lot more. I also sing, and I'm a 1st Soprano (very high voice). My husband plays acoustic guitar, and he mostly likes to play country (blech!).

I would love to be in a band, but I'm not sure if anyone would want me. I'd have to improve my piano skills and freshen up my vocals a bit. Nobody wants a floutist in a rock band lol. Also, I have more of a "Broadway-style" voice than anything, or so people tell me as I was in musical theatre in jr. high & high school.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote