Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Valhalla

Welcome to Valhalla, hall of the slain.

I'd like to preface this by letting you know there's a lot of nerd in me, and probably some metal head too. If you can live with the fact that I'm a bit of a mash up and not super hxc goth, then by all means read on.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I'm currently a university student. No job right now, but I'm looking. Hopefully I won't end up in fast food.

I like to play with my dog, go for walks, read, watch movies, and play video games. I also like to try different kinds of tea.

I'm pretty laid back, and I like to get to know people. I'm trying to get out of being an introvert.

2. Where are you from?
Canada.

3. Who is your favorite author?
If I had to pick one probably Neil Gaiman. I'm also a fan of the Bronte sisters.

Phantom of the Opera is up there in my favorite books. Last book I read was Memoirs of a Geisha, liked it so much I didn't want it to end.

I'm not going to hide it, recently Charlaine Harris has been a guilty pleasure of mine. There's nothing wrong with some fast and fluffy reading.

4. What are your favorite films?
Ginger snaps, Creepshow, Susperia, I'm a real horror person. I also like comedies, musicals, superhero movies, actually I'll pretty much sit through anything. As long as the movie can keep my attention and isn't overly stupid, usually I'll be content at the end.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Black Celebration by Depeche Mode. The music to "Phantom Of The Opera" would make cool walking down the aisle music, since it's creepy and pretty all at once. This is cliche, but I couldn't get married and not play "Love song" by The Cure or "You are the one" by HIM.

6. At your funeral?
We Want Fun by Andrew WK, it's upbeat and dancey. Might also make people feel awkward. Lets Dance To Joy Division by The Wombats would be a fun choice. I wouldn't want my funeral to be too depressing.

I could always play Terror in The Haunted House by Blizkid. Afterwards everyone would wonder if it was meant to be my message to THEM that I was going to come back and haunt them.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
All the townspeople would surround my castle with fire and pitchforks. As I tried to escape they would give chase and corner me on rocky cliffs overlooking a shallow body of water. I'd have the choice of diving from the great height, breaking my bones when I hit the bottom, or letting the villagers maim me and set me ablaze. I don't know what I'd choose, I'll let you know when I'm put in the above situation.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
A sleek black casket with a red interior.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if my family fed me to the wolves. I'm dead, it's not like I'll know.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Black long sleeved fishnet shirt, with a black button up short sleeved shirt over it. Then a black skirt with red stitching, and grey tights with patterned fishnet tights over them. I also have a collar that I wear every day.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
I miss the lack of stress. As a kid I didn't worry much about my future because it was so far away.

11. What's your favorite band?
I don't have one. Instead, I'm going to list off the first few that come to mind. The Cure, Depeche Mode, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Misfits, In Flames, Nirvana, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Malice Mizer, Katatonia, Megadeth, Type O Negative, Arch Enemy, Combichrist, Nightwish.

Recently I've started listening to Amon Amarth and Silentium.

I'm always up for giving something new a listen.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
Some university, hopefully I'll get into Pharmacy school.

13. Why did you join?
Where I'm from, there's no goth scene. There are all of maybe 7 'goths', most of which don't read and spend their time trying to outgoth the others, if you get what I mean. It might just be me, but having halloween decorations up in your house all year round and wearing black clothes isn't all there is to being a goth. I have no one to talk to about old timey literature with (even in high school, barely anyone else liked reading Dracula). I don't have many friends who appreciate scary movies either, or some parts of my musical tastes. Not to whine, but sometimes it's a little lonely. A friend suggested I check out vampirefreaks. It seemed to be mostly attention seeking, provocative pictures, and poor spelling. Not what I wanted.

I then came across another goth forum that didn't seem overly friendly. This website was the next one I found. I lurked around a bit, and you seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female.

Thank you for reading all that. I hope to stick around for a while, maybe even make some friends.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Saya

Hello, fellow canuck.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Valhalla

Hello back, thanks for the welcome.

Strangely enough, we are from the same place in Canada. I've never experienced meeting someone else from here online before. ._.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Saya

No way! You're a newfie? XD

You're the second Newfie I met here. I take it you go to MUN?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Valhalla

Normally I don't mention online that I'm from Newfoundland. Either A) no one knows where it is, or B) they do and there's a lot of "lul accent".

Yeah, I go to mun. Do you go there too?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Saya

Yup, doing Religious Studies and Women's Studies, I got about two years left or so. You?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Valhalla

5 years left I believe. Second year of prereqs for pharmacy in September. I could have done them in one year, but taking 3 sciences at once sounds like a terrible first year of university. At the end of this year I get to apply, if I get in awesome. If I don't get in I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Religious Studies seems cool. Any idea what you'll use it for after university?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Saya

Oh derp, you mentioned pharmacy in your intro. Sorry, I'm slow tonight. I have a friend in pharmacy who's really loving it, hope you get in!

I was hoping to go work at a religion factory XD honestly I'm not 100% sure, I'm hoping to get my honour's degree so I might go into grad school, maybe get a Social Work degree (if you already have a degree, you can get a SW degree in 2 years). My focus was going to be on Asian religions and I'm going to learn Mandarin, so we'll see where that takes me, but I'm also thinking about focusing on religion and culture, I have until september to decide I think. I'd also love to work in the non profit sector, honestly, I volunteer at the women's resource center and if I could do something like that and get paid, I'd totally do it XD And thats my life story.

Anyway, no we do not have a goth scene, sad face. I think you'll find a few in the fetish scene but its not my cup of tea. I think we had a horror movie society at one point, and I remember seeing something recently on the go that I thought I'd love when I was more into the goth thing (I still like the bands, just not into the look anymore) but I can't recall, if I think of it I'll post it here. But anyway, you'll be fine here, and we have lots of metal fans here, a lot of us aren't really goth anyway, so no worries.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Valhalla

Everyone's slow sometimes, and it is a little late. Did your friend have stellar marks, or anything like volunteering at a pharmacy experience? I've heard it's pretty competetive, but I'm hoping it's not as bad as people say.

That sounds like an awesome place to volunteer, I'm glad to hear you enjoy it so much. I was looking for somewhere to put my free time over the summer and I didn't even come across that organization. I ended up volunteering at the campus food bank. It's pretty wicked there too.

I didn't know they taught Mandarin at mun. Sounds like you have a lot of options, haha, it's a blessing and a curse. I'd figure that social work would be the best option for a job at a women's help centre.

We had a horror movie society? I'd have been all about that. While I'm a pretty fetish-y person, I don't think I could get involved with a group of people based on that. Unless maybe I had a friend who had already gone there and green lighted it. I might just be being old fashioned, but sounds potentially sketchy.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Saya

She had crazy marks because she was originally applying for med school, and she didn't get it. I don't think she did much volunteer though, if any, and she had a biochem degree.

Mandarin is only offered every once in a while, sadly, there's only one prof that teaches it, and you can't major in it or anything. Its just that if you major in Religious Studies, you need to learn a language pertinent to the religions you're focusing on, so if I was focusing on western religions, I'd learn Greek or Hebrew. I don't think you need to be RS major to take the class though, its being offered again in September.

Yeah the WRC isn't really open in the summer, there's only two of us there in school at all and both of us are doing distance XD you need to go through training to start and we don't do that until the fall semester, hopefully we'll get the word out :x even if you don't want to volunteer there you should swing by at times, we give out tampons, pads, panty liners, condoms, lube, and any brochure you would want XD Its great if you're stuck without. I think we have stuff about the kink community there too, last semester they had a weekend of workshops on different sexuality issues and there was one about kink, I can snoop around for you if you want. I think there's a group that is like a support group but you can go for coffee instead of doing the club thing. I can't find the horror movie society on the MUNSU list of societies anymore, rats.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Versus

I wanted to rant at you for your user name, but then I took the time to read your introduction and realized you were a girl. For some reason, that made it okay with me. Anyway, Amon Amarth is pretty cool. I don't think I've run into anyone that listens to them here, though.

Also, welcome.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
MissCheyenne

What is your favourite type of tea? Tea is one of the greatest things known to man. Also, welcome.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Valhalla

@Saya
Med school is actually crazy hard to get into, props to your friend for even trying. I'd probably never set my sights that high, but then again I wouldn't want to be a doctor. Something about putting my hands in stranger's cavities doesn't sit right with me.

Only one prof? There must be little demand for it. If I was going to take a second language it would be either Greek or German.

There are only two of you there? That sounds harsh. Yeah, a lot of places only go training in September. Originally I went to see if planned parenthood needed anyone, but they don't offer orientation in the summer. I'll have to remember where that is. Forgetting a tampon is always the worst.

I remember seeing a sign for that workshop. No one wanted to go with me and I didn't want to go alone. xD I know, very brave of me.

@Versus
I'm glad I was cool enough not to rant at. The real question is what do you have against males who are interested in Norse mythology?

Since you listen to them, you should recommend me some of their best songs.

Also, thanks. :]

@MissCheyenne
My favorite kind of tea is probably Earl Grey or Chai. Recently though I've been drinking a lot of white pear tea.

How about you, have a favorite?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
There are only two of you there? That sounds harsh. Yeah, a lot of places only go training in September. Originally I went to see if planned parenthood needed anyone, but they don't offer orientation in the summer. I'll have to remember where that is. Forgetting a tampon is always the worst.
You know where the Breezeway is, right? there's double doors that go down a corridor to the left of it, there's a sign over those doors for the WRC. If not for the sign it looks like its somewhere you're not supposed to go XD consequentially I think a lot of people forget we exist, all other resource centers are on the sixth floor. But, we got the biggest office, so there's that.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Geoluhread

Welcome aboard fellow metalhead and nerd.
I listen to most stuff you listed there and i don't know if you know anything about Kamelot? a power metal band who had the most amazing vocalist, sadly he left =(

they have an album called the phantom of the opera, some albums on myths, urban legends and stuff...
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Versus

Quote:
@Versus
I'm glad I was cool enough not to rant at. The real question is what do you have against males who are interested in Norse mythology?

Since you listen to them, you should recommend me some of their best songs.

Also, thanks. :]
I don't have a problem with guys who like Norse mythology. Some of my BEST FRIENDS are guys who like Norse mythology. See what I did, there? I realized you probably weren't the type I tend to get pissed at because, like I said, I actually read your introduction instead of skimming it.

My issue is that, for some reason, I take offense to men who speak about a profession of arms or martial prowess as if it's no longer relevant, or an antiquated thing, you know?

Anyway, my favorite Amon Amarth songs are:

Pursuit of Vikings

Asator

Valhalla Awaits Me

If you like them, you might also like Ensiferum and Enslaved.

Kamelot has some decent songs, too. March of Mephisto and When the Lights are Down are pretty cool.

And stuff.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
MissCheyenne

Quote:

@MissCheyenne
My favorite kind of tea is probably Earl Grey or Chai. Recently though I've been drinking a lot of white pear tea.

How about you, have a favorite?
I'm quite fond of Earl Grey myself. I also like Lady Grey and am partial to a nice cup of white tea with cherry blossom. Of course, they are all best served from a tea pot, in nice delicate cups with matching saucers.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #18
Valhalla

@Saya
Oh! I know exactly where that is. And you're totally right about it looking like a hallway you're not supposed to go down.

As long as your name is listed inside the elevator with the rest of them, people will find you when they need you.

@Geoluhread
Thanks!

I do listen to Kamelot! Well okay, I've heard maybe 10 songs. Enough to know that they're good. For some reason or another I always end up forgetting about them until someone brings them up.

I knew they had a new CD, but I didn't know their vocalist left. What's the new guy like?

@Versus

Thanks!

Ensiferum I've heard a few songs by, and I like them enough when I'm in the mood for folk metal. Enslaved I've never heard, but will definitely check out.

When the Lights are Down is an awesome song, it's probably the best Kamalot song I've heard. Somewhere in time is really good too. I haven't heard March of Mephisto though, so I'll give it a listen.

@MissCheyenne

I've never had tea with cherry blossoms, I'll bet it tastes interesting. That sounds so cute, I wish I had a tea set. 8D

I'm not partial to red teas, anything that has a really strong... flowery (flowery may be the wrong word, but it's the first that comes to mind) taste/smell. Pretty much pomegranate anything is out.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #19
Geoluhread

they still don't have one, he left only a month ago..
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
Stormtrooper of Death

Hello and welcome! We seem to get quite a few Canadians on here it seems.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Grausamkeit

Welcome, Valhalla! We've always had a fair number of Canadians on the boards. Good people who can take a joke and throw it right back atcha.
Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote