Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #26
Draconysius

I actually like AFI. I'm going to definitely give "Decemberunderground" a chance, but I'll probably download it before buying. I've always loved AFI's classic works, and their music is so emotional, I just hate how so many people (including Revolver magazine) call them a "gothic" band.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #27
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Patronize is a poor word choice and you should have used plain old support the companies banners you don't object to...but since this isn't a literary site I shouldn't patronize a word or two for confusing the meaning of an idea, so I'll just go back to not buying anything on the banner links.

Not even that Wolverine sculpture...
The point is that you didn't buy the Wolverine sculpture and you didn't complain about the banner for it either.

pa·tron·ize
tr.v. pa·tron·ized, pa·tron·iz·ing, pa·tron·iz·es
1. To act as a patron to; support or sponsor.
2. To go to as a customer, especially on a regular basis.
3. To treat in a condescending manner.

Yes, all three dictionary definitions of the word patronize are applicable. On average, you speak condescendingly of precisely what you are a regular customer of.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #28
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I actually like AFI. I'm going to definitely give "Decemberunderground" a chance, but I'll probably download it before buying. I've always loved AFI's classic works, and their music is so emotional, I just hate how so many people (including Revolver magazine) call them a "gothic" band.
The banner link above includes a large number of download options.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #29
OnixxFilth

That reminds me- my mom got some sort of a mailing from a Christian mail-order book club that had something about 6/6/06 on the front. I laughed my ass off. OOOOHHH, is that the new date the world is gonna end? )
Old 05-31-2006, 10:45 AM   #30
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
That reminds me- my mom got some sort of a mailing from a Christian mail-order book club that had something about 6/6/06 on the front. I laughed my ass off. OOOOHHH, is that the new date the world is gonna end? )
I sure hope so! ;-)

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:51 AM   #31
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic.net
The point is that you didn't buy the Wolverine sculpture and you didn't complain about the banner for it either.

pa·tron·ize
tr.v. pa·tron·ized, pa·tron·iz·ing, pa·tron·iz·es
1. To act as a patron to; support or sponsor.
2. To go to as a customer, especially on a regular basis.
3. To treat in a condescending manner.

Yes, all three dictionary definitions of the word patronize are applicable. On average, you speak condescendingly of precisely what you are a regular customer of.
You are making generalizations again. I don't like Hot Topic, so I don't shop there. I don't like Walmart, so I don't shop there. I don't give my money to bands, record labels, and companies in general who are trying to sell me a corporate produced pre-packaged product. I don't have a problem with people liking what I don't like. However, I do have a problem with hypocrits.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:06 PM   #32
WolfMoon

No matter what banner there is someone is going to complain about it.

There are too many boobs, it's blatantly sexual, blah, blah, blah...

I do agree with the opinion that a banner for a band such as AFI does not belong on a Gothic forum. And yes, my dears, since it is no longer a literature forum, it seems it must be a Gothic forum.

As such, why would we want to support 'music' that is not part of our sub-culture? You're damned right we're complaining!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #33
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
No matter what banner there is someone is going to complain about it.

There are too many boobs, it's blatantly sexual, blah, blah, blah...

I do agree with the opinion that a banner for a band such as AFI does not belong on a Gothic forum. And yes, my dears, since it is no longer a literature forum, it seems it must be a Gothic forum.

As such, why would we want to support 'music' that is not part of our sub-culture? You're damned right we're complaining!
I really don't understand why they are even considered gothic. Their music sounds generic, and their lyrics are the same as every atypical so called 'emo' band being overplayed on the radio these days. The record companies are trying to pass this crap off as dark and goth which is really insulting. I am not a brainwashed 14 year old kid, so I am not falling for it. I'm glad that other people agree with me that the ad shouldn't be on this site.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #34
WolfMoon

I hear ya, babe.

The people who would actually buy that crap wouldn't know a good group if it bit them on the ass!
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 PM   #35
Draconysius

As I've said before, I (reluctantly) like AFI, and even such emo/screamo bands as Atreyu and Hawthorne Heights. I don't, however, buy these albums for goth/emo "points" or because other people buy them. I reluctantly listened to each of these bands at first, because I knew of their emo fanbase. Once I gave them a fair listen, though, I decided I liked them regardless. Many people do listen to AFI and such bands because other mall-goths do, but certainly this doesn't apply to everyone. I'd appreciate it if people ceased making generalizations and sterotyping. Isn't that, after all, what we try to avoid above anything else?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #36
horrorgirl

As I said before I don't mind if people like them. However, they are marketed by their record company to appeal to a younger audience. Since I got over angst,etc, quite a long time ago they don't speak to me at all. I can't imagine a 35 year old person listening to these 'emo' bands and actually taking them seriously.

The generation gap is alive and well.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #37
Gothic.net

Quote:
I DO NOT speak negatively about ANY merchant of which I am a patron of; I will, however, be patronizing toward an idea proffered from the patron saint, St. Stupidity of the Half Baked Brain Fart.

You wanted to interject the idea that you receive zero complaints about banners that receive little or no activity, and receive piles of complaints about banners that receive numerous activity, but fucked the whole statement up with poor word choices, contradictory innuendo, and stereotypical abstracts.

Bah. *Goes back to enjoying his statue*
If you own a Wolverine statue, you did not buy it via a banner on Gothic.net. You didn't complain about the banner, but you also did nothing to support Gothic.net, which you get to enjoy for free.

News bulletin: this site is expensive to run. It would be nice to be able to afford more fiction, but good writers deserve to be paid for their efforts. The current management of Gothic.net pays writers in a timely fashion, so the money has to come from somewhere.

If you have suggestions of what should be advertising here, feel free to suggest good advertisers. If you have something you want to support and want to run a different banner anywhere on Gothic.net, feel free to email adrep@buzzclick.com and put your money where your mouth is.

If you just want to complain, congratulations, that is very gothtastic of you.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:22 PM   #38
horrorgirl

Gothtastic? That sounds like a new breakfast cereal. I think people have the right to complain about something that they don't agree with.

Couldn't you find a better banner than AFI? Seriously, there are a bunch of independant bands, and labels that I can think of right now that have banners. Projekt Records, for one. Instead of actually doing some research it really seems like you went for the easy money. All of this really makes it seem like you bought this site just to own the term gothic.net, and to make money off of it.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #39
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
Gothtastic? That sounds like a new breakfast cereal. I think people have the right to complain about something that they don't agree with.

Couldn't you find a better banner than AFI? Seriously, there are a bunch of independant bands, and labels that I can think of right now that have banners. Projekt Records, for one. Instead of actually doing some research it really seems like you went for the easy money. All of this really makes it seem like you bought this site just to own the term gothic.net, and to make money off of it.
Projekt is not a bad suggestion as they have advertised with Gothic.net sister projects, but, for whatever reason, they have chosen not to advertise on Gothic.net at this time.

It seems that what you agree with is having this site lose so much money that it goes offline. Do you have any idea how long the current ownership hosted this site for free and took a straight up loss on it? Do you know how long this site was 100% down and offline before the current ownership gave it charity hosting? Given how short a time you have been here, perhaps not.

Do you really think it would be bad if this site pulled in enough revenue to be able to publish more fiction?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #40
Gothic.net

Quote:
I do love chumming the waters, and since we’ve attracted the game let’s go ahead and set the hook, eh? Why would I want to support a site that I allowed to publish my work under paid contract, but never paid me? Why would I want to contribute any intellectual property of mine, or encourage others to do the like, when the administrators hijack said work and will not allow for its removal? Why would I buy any goddamn thing you advertise in your links to help fatten your bottom line when you go from being a reputable publisher to a stay-the-fuck-far-away-writer-beware site?

Hmmm?

The only reason I continue to pop in from time to time is because I’ve made some good life friends here, and I enjoy clogging up your bandwidth and server space with senseless dribble.

And I might believe your rehtoric about paying writers and publishing new fiction, even having gone unpaid myself, if: If the Administration had shown some effort of moving toward that goal during the time of new ownership.

You'll be lucky to get Nicky Pooh to submit, now.

Good luck with that.

That is all.
You have zero work contracted by this site. You do not work for Gothic.net.

The current ownership has paid every writer they signed a contract with.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:47 PM   #41
horrorgirl

Quote:
Projekt is not a bad suggestion as they have advertised with Gothic.net sister projects, but, for whatever reason, they have chosen not to advertise on Gothic.net at this time.

It seems that what you agree with is having this site lose so much money that it goes offline. Do you have any idea how long the current ownership hosted this site for free and took a straight up loss on it? Do you know how long this site was 100% down and offline before the current ownership gave it charity hosting? Given how short a time you have been here, perhaps not.

Do you really think it would be bad if this site pulled in enough revenue to be able to publish more fiction?
I have been here for almost six months now and I haven't seen anything new happen here at all. According to TStone writers don't want anything to do with this site any longer. I tend to take his word over yours at this point.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #42
horrorgirl

Quote:
But you were the silent owners when my work was contracted, as well as the OWNERS of the site during the time I made much of my poetry avaiable for free, and also the OWNERs that refused to remove my work once I asked for it back.

The site has also NEVER published any NEW fiction under the current ownership.

The site HAS BEEN REMOVED from all worthy marketlistings.

You’re not fooling anyone so drop the literary patronizations, and there’s a pun for you in there, search for it.
I guess this is a lesson of how NOT to run a website. ;-)

Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #43
Gothic.net

Quote:
I have been here for almost six months now and I haven't seen anything new happen here at all. According to TStone writers don't want anything to do with this site any longer. I tend to take his word over yours at this point.
For someone who complains about generalizations, you certainly seem to make a lot of inaccurate speculative assumptions.

TStone should point to exactly where in the fiction or non-fiction sections their contribution is being displayed. It's not there. They were not contracted as a writer for this site. The writers for this site did get paid for their contributions.

This site was resurrected and hosted for free for quite some time by the people who eventually purchased it. The current ownership would certainly like to be able to run more quality fiction and such, but current ownership strongly believe that the writers should actually get what is promised to them. If this site were making money, it could afford more quality writing.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #44
horrorgirl

Remember....I'm gothtastic!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #45
Gothic.net

Quote:
But you were the silent owners when my work was contracted, as well as the OWNERS of the site during the time I made much of my poetry avaiable for free, and also the OWNERs that refused to remove my work once I asked for it back.

The site has also NEVER published any NEW fiction under the current ownership.

The site HAS BEEN REMOVED from all worthy marketlistings.

You’re not fooling anyone so drop the literary patronizations, and there’s a pun for you in there, search for it.
Gothic.net has expressed to any market listing, which inquired, that the site is not currently accepting submissions. When Gothic.net has the revenue to pay additional writers, it will open to submissions again.

If someone not authorized by Gothic.net to make financial deals on its behalf owes you payment, you should definitely pursue it with that person.

If your ever-so-goth whine is fundamentally that you posted on a public message board and then you wanted to impose on other people and try to make them spend their time removing what you posted, then please just read the FAQ.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:11 PM   #46
horrorgirl

Quote:
Gothic.net has expressed to any market listing, which inquired, that the site is not currently accepting submissions. When Gothic.net has the revenue to pay additional writers, it will open to submissions again.

If someone not authorized by Gothic.net to make financial deals on its behalf owes you payment, you should definitely pursue it with that person.

If your ever-so-goth whine is fundamentally that you posted on a public message board and then you wanted to impose on other people and try to make them spend their time removing what you posted, then please just read the FAQ.
I think his purpose was to call you out on your lies.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #47
Gothic.net

Quote:
I think his purpose was to call you out on your lies.

What lie? They were invited to support their claim.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #48
horrorgirl

I'm going to go eat some Otter Pops right now. I'm tired.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #49
Gothic.net

People always seem to get so tired all of a sudden, when they are wrong.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #50
horrorgirl

Quote:
People always seem to get so tired all of a sudden, when they are wrong.
No, they get tired when they want an Otter Pop and they have to go to the freezer to get one.