Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM   #176
Maldarion_Haliax

Because people are ignorant,and afraid of what they don't understand.
Maldarion_Haliax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #177
Tea and Cake or Death

Okay, so it's not like you leave the house wearing giant platformed buckle boots, PVC pants, goggles, or whatever the fuck your into and honestly DON'T EXPECT a small amount of attention to be drawn your way. I mean, when you really "dress up" you know what you are getting yourself into. Some people think it's cool, others think it's fucking stupid. That's just the way it is. I'd rather be teased a bit and be true to myself, & be picked on for a couple of seconds than conform and be unhappy all the time. Otherwise I'd be wearing Rockies and teasing my hair up for the rodeo right now. (a look I find to be stupid, but within the "cowboy" culture seems to be sexy.) Just be who you are, and understand that what you have chosen to become, regardless of any culture, subculture, or group, may be picked at because someone outside doesn't understand. Shrug it off, and go hang out with people who do.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #178
MotherofMercies

I just get the odd glances, and the young girls in my street ask "are you gothic?" lol

In high school I always got tease, oddly enough this was before I decided to goth myself up. In my senior years the poking fun stopped.
My friends often make fun of my pale skin, some are quite jelous of it. Nower days I don't like drawing much attention to myself, but on the odd occassion i like to dressup. People also love my long black hair and my plateforms, I usually get compliments about them too.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #179
GothicChristian

People tend to make fun of me behind my back, but once in a while someone will ask me questions like "Do you worship Satan?" "Are you a vampire/witch?" etc. Two other people have been so courageous to say something too me personally, one of them was a teacher (who got to know exactly what I thought and couldn't write me up because I have enough on him to get him fired) and the other was my dad a while ago, but he got used to it. He actually said the dress my mom is making me is "cute, in a Morticia Addams kind of way."
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #180
beauismyhorse

"Cute, in a Morticia Addams kind of way."
I need to remember this... xD

Anyways, today my friend called me a hooker.
I was only wearing a lacey top, denim skirt, fishnets, and Mary Janes! :P
On the way to choir people started asking why/when/ect I 'went goth'. I started dressing up a few years ago, and they're still not used to it? Geez.
beauismyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #181
GothicChristian

I really shouldn't give my friends my password. It seems I've posted in this thread before, but it was, most likely, a friend of mine. To clear any confusion (If there is any) as to why the two posts are so different.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #182
Raptor

On Sunday morning a guy asked me if I had been at a fetish club lol.

And the previous evening another guy asked where I got my boots.

On the train some people said something like "I like to see people dressed like that". Then went silent and looked away when I looked up to see them staring at us.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #183
Kristin

I'm jumping into this discussion late, I apologize. Yes, I've been made fun of. People have called me emo before. I'm 35, for crying out loud! I want to slap them. I shopped at Hot Topic before people started associating it as an emo store. Goth came before emo. LOL

My mom makes fun of me for the way I dress. She thinks I'm too old for it. I don't wear anything too outrageous, but I figure if I can do it without looking ridiculous, I might as well. I don't do anything too gothic with my hair or makeup, but I have a lot of fun with the clothes.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #184
GothicChristian

Fun is good, you aren't jumping in late either, jumping in late is when you post in a thread that hasn't been posted in for months.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #185
Kristin

Oh okay, I get it! I've been flamed at other forums before, for replying to the original post of an active thread that had long since branched into other discussions. I like this board a lot so far.

I'm going to Hot Topic in a few minutes. Whee!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #186
KontanKarite

NNOOOOO. Go to a thrift store.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #187
ForgetThisLostLenore

I'm going to my local flea market this weekend! If my friend's brother can drive us. But I'm so excited!
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #188
MotherofMercies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
What he said.

I bought $2 platforms from a thrift store.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #189
ForgetThisLostLenore

Some of my best clothes came from thrift stores. My friend found some amazing boots, I believe she got them for $3. I got a long black skirt that I wear all the time for $2, because the lady running the place was nice and was shocked that there was someone who could fit into all the teeny clothes she had. I got discounts on just about everything I got there.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #190
Kristin

Quote:
Oh, I know, believe me! I do those too, but haven't had much luck with them. I'm tall (5'10"), so it's hard to find things that fit.

Although, I did get an amazing black skirt the last time I was at a thrift store, and found an ankle-length one for my daughter that I'll borrow when I've lost a few pounds. Also found a pair of awesome gray shabby jeans, and I almost cried when I realized they didn't fit.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #191
raggedyanne

Thrift stores are the best! I once found a complete goat costume for $40. A really good, complete, goat costume.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #192
Dreggas

I don't get "made fun of" for the way I dress or my luck. The ones who do make wise cracks do so to be "silly" (like my boss joking about my Mohawk). More often than not I get compliments or asked where I get specific items.

For example, yesterday I was at a bus stop and swear that 5 people wanted to know about my boots and where I got them (all leather 21 hole, steel toes with the steel on the outside (oooo shiney) and silver gothic crosses on the side) and wanting to know if I put the steel caps on myself or if they came that way. Incidentally they were only 40 bucks bwahahaha.

Or there was the day I was in the grocery store and some little old lady said my mohawk was the neatest hairstyle she had ever seen and had not seen it before.

Of course most don't talk shit given I look pretty intimidating (tho I am a big pussycat for the most part).
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #193
SeverinInFurs

The closest I've been to made fun of is when my mom caught me wearing black nail polish in 9th or 10th grade, and my dad found out. My mom was wondering if I wanted to be a woman, and my dad replied in an irritated tone "No, he wants to be one of those satan-worshipping goths!" Heh, they've gotten used to it since, and kind of looked the other way the few times I've crossdressed, but they still love me. Other than that, nobody's really made fun of anything, though I am told I don't smile enough (they just don't see me at the right times )
SeverinInFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #194
Tea and Cake or Death

Quote:
I also go with that idea. I'v scored several things in the past....including, but not limited to:

Platformed boots, A Cure tee, Leather pants, Leather Skirt, Zebra print skirt, and some fantastic used records.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #195
GothicChristian

My mom makes the bulk of my favorite outfits, who needs stores when your mom is awesome like that?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #196
Dreggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverinInFurs
The closest I've been to made fun of is when my mom caught me wearing black nail polish in 9th or 10th grade, and my dad found out. My mom was wondering if I wanted to be a woman, and my dad replied in an irritated tone "No, he wants to be one of those satan-worshipping goths!" Heh, they've gotten used to it since, and kind of looked the other way the few times I've crossdressed, but they still love me. Other than that, nobody's really made fun of anything, though I am told I don't smile enough (they just don't see me at the right times )
LOL. Sounds like my folks. I had to put the nail polish on in the AM then take it off in the afternoon before my folks got home.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #197
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverinInFurs
My nail polish is purple.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #198
Crashdown

Me, no... I dress "normal" sports or booze related t-shit with jeans
Crashdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #199
Kristin

It hurts to admit this, but just today I got this from my husband: "At least I'm not having an identity crisis." Among other things. My response: "I know exactly who I am, thank you!" He also loves to say, "You tricked me, if I'd known you dressed like that in high school, I never would have dated you." That would actually have been doing me a favor. Pardon my bitterness right now!

Anyway, I'm so embarrassed by my Hot Topic thingy a few posts back, even though they did supply two of my corsets, my net shirt, and a few awesome pieces of jewelry. Please forgive me, I'm just getting back into this. Sooo...besides thrift stores, which are only successful for me 10% of the time, what are some other good places to find goth clothes? Ebay, maybe...Any good online sites? Is goodgoth.com a decent place?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #200
Dreggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
It hurts to admit this, but just today I got this from my husband: "At least I'm not having an identity crisis." Among other things. My response: "I know exactly who I am, thank you!" He also loves to say, "You tricked me, if I'd known you dressed like that in high school, I never would have dated you." That would actually have been doing me a favor. Pardon my bitterness right now!

Anyway, I'm so embarrassed by my Hot Topic thingy a few posts back, even though they did supply two of my corsets, my net shirt, and a few awesome pieces of jewelry. Please forgive me, I'm just getting back into this. Sooo...besides thrift stores, which are only successful for me 10% of the time, what are some other good places to find goth clothes? Ebay, maybe...Any good online sites? Is goodgoth.com a decent place?
Don't be embarrassed by going to Hot Topic. I admit I even go there sometimes for some things. I think most people here are suggesting thrift stores because you can get a lot of the same things for a lower price.

Add into that the idea of making your own clothes out of the stuff you get at thrift stores. For example I have a pair of dickies I bought at Wal-Mart for 12 bucks. A few gromits and some chain from a hardware store added to them made pretty decent bondage pants and they were far less than buying Tripp pants and such at Hot topic.

I haven't done much shopping online myself because I like to try stuff on before I buy.

As for your hubbie...with all due respect...sounds like a tool.