Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #2876
AlexMcDermott

Sci-fi

If you do the sci-fi thing then you MUST read Ender's Game. WOW this intense look at the nature of warfare, justification of annihilation and final redemption. DO NOT SKIP AHEAD AND READ THE END!!
AlexMcDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #2877
AlexMcDermott

Really personal

It's not the most intellectual book on the shelf, but Max Brooks' World War Z is a lot of fun! Besides, it's one of the few books with a paralyzed character who's not doing everything in the universe to walk again. I could rant all night about that. I even wrote a flash fiction story about it because I was so pissed off. Ok I'm done now. If you need a break from the intense philosophy, try a little zombie apocalypse!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #2878
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMcDermott View Post
It's not the most intellectual book on the shelf, but Max Brooks' World War Z is a lot of fun! Besides, it's one of the few books with a paralyzed character who's not doing everything in the universe to walk again. I could rant all night about that. I even wrote a flash fiction story about it because I was so pissed off. Ok I'm done now. If you need a break from the intense philosophy, try a little zombie apocalypse!
I keep hearing good things about this one. I normally read D&D-type scifi.

I'm currently reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Yes, I am a drooling fangirl for this series, regardless of the total lack of reality.
Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #2879
Llyallowyn

I'll have to browse this more thoroughly once I get myself out of my video game spree. I am currently reading Lavinia by Ursula K Le Guin, in which she takes the briefly mentioned young wife of Virgil in The Aenid and fleshes her out and brings her to life. It has been a great read thus far. USually I stick more to sci-fi and fantasy, but I am a big fan of LE Guin's. If anyone has read the Earthsea series and loved her writing style, you'll like this too.
Llyallowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #2880
Sinjob

Devouring Cormac McCarthy's The Road. A bit slow but the language and not to mention consistent breaks are worth it.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #2881
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyallowyn View Post
I'll have to browse this more thoroughly once I get myself out of my video game spree. I am currently reading Lavinia by Ursula K Le Guin, in which she takes the briefly mentioned young wife of Virgil in The Aenid and fleshes her out and brings her to life. It has been a great read thus far. USually I stick more to sci-fi and fantasy, but I am a big fan of LE Guin's. If anyone has read the Earthsea series and loved her writing style, you'll like this too.
I do like me some Ursula K Le Guin. I will have to jot down that title. Thank you.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #2882
Pineapple_Juice

Nonviolence In Theory and Practice. Had to buy it for a peace studies class a few years ago.

Dont remmber anything sbout that class, except that my teacher ended up hating me aad forbidding me from her class. My notes stop roughly 10 pages in so i guess i ddnt learn muh th first tim.

Goddamn you, touch screen keyboard.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #2883
Llyallowyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Goddamn you, touch screen keyboard.
It's the little things in life that get us, right?
Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #2884
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
Devouring Cormac McCarthy's The Road. A bit slow but the language and not to mention consistent breaks are worth it.
I saw the film a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I assumed that the slowness of the plot meant they'd just make it all action-y, expand the roles of the cannibals, and all that noise. But it was very faithful. Although I don't like what they did with the ending (which, again, is faithful but... well, let me know when you've finished and, if you're remotely interested, I'll tell you what I would like to've seen them do with it).
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #2885
AlexMcDermott

Verland: The Transformation

I'm only halfway through and this book is already a favorite!! Verland: The Transformation is back to the gothic tradition in literature! This vampire is the isolated outsider and the book's themes are dark, brooding and unbelievably intense! Is immortality the real gift humanity thinks it is? Cannibals as the first vampires? The origins of the Josephus Equation as a vampire's survival? Dark, intense and unsettling! I love this!

http://www.verlandlives.com
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #2886
AlexMcDermott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
I keep hearing good things about this one. I normally read D&D-type scifi.

I'm currently reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Yes, I am a drooling fangirl for this series, regardless of the total lack of reality.
Brooks isn't literature, but it's a fun, fast read!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #2887
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyallowyn View Post
It's the little things in life that get us, right?
Amen. and praise buddha
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #2888
Saya

Next school book: Hunting Humans: The Rise Of The Modern Multiple Murderer by Elliott Leyton.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #2889
Fruitbat

Finished Amanda Hocking's Hollowland - man so disappointed with it. It's like she's taken most of the big zombie movies (thinking resident evil, 28 days later) and stuck her character into someone else's reality.

Virus (spread by blood/saliva) makes people into zombies. Girl in quarantine that gets overrun by zombies, lives and goes in search of her brother, along the way kicks loads of zombie butt, comes across the usual people you'd expect to meet along the way - religious zealot, gun totting idiots and a few really nice people...

Yep, it's that predictable, but it has loads of action and is a fast read.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 AM   #2890
Isabel

I recently started reading the book on which Dexter TV series is based, and I can say that I like the book way better that the TV series so far

watch live tv online free
free tv
Isabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #2891
bigsick

Priest manga for the 23293293929 time. I was a fan before the movie came out. Sucks that they changed it so much. that's hollywood for you.
bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #2892
Geoluhread

Rereading Harry Potter and Haruki Murakami's master piece "Kafka on the Shore"

For lack of new interesting material.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #2893
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoluhread View Post
Rereading Harry Potter and Haruki Murakami's master piece "Kafka on the Shore"

For lack of new interesting material.
You'd like the book I'm reading now! I'm getting pretty freaked out reading it.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #2894
erotomaniac87

I'm currently reading "French Women Don't Get Fat" by Mireille Guiliano.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2895
Llyallowyn

I just finished "The Summer Country" by James A Hetley. It wasn't a terrible read, but it was definitely not what I expected. I am more interested in fantasy with a political or emotional undercurrent, a real story about growing up or struggling with various aspects of life. In some sense of those words, this book had it, since the main character is a victim of forced intimate encounters trying to deal with additional suffering brought on by an abusive father, religious zealot mother, and living with her slutty, confident sister. Ultimately, it is like a more mature version of Twilight, sans vampires and enter wizards.

Last edited by Llyallowyn; 06-04-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: I appreciate censors, but...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #2896
Saya

Regarding The Pain Of Others by Susan Sontag
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #2897
Grausamkeit

Necroscope ~ Brian Lumley

My mother recommended this series to me when I was 14, but I was too busy reading 'Dracula' and 'Interview With The Vampire' to give it a chance. Once again Mother schools me with her book selection....some 19 years down the road...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #2898
Valhalla

I just borrowed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from a friend. I've heard good things, hope they're true.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #2899
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
I just borrowed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo from a friend. I've heard good things, hope they're true.
I don't know how to feel about it. I had misgivings about it after I read it, I ranted about it here quite a bit, but I still overall enjoyed it. But now as time passes I like it less and less.

Not to discourage you, I don't feel like it was a waste of time reading or anything.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #2900
ChoptopsFave

Just finished "Grin in the Dark" by Ramsey Campbell, which sadly I really didn't like. I loved the idea of a lost silent film star (ala Paul Auster) and clowns terrify me... but it was a disjointed mess with a weak and predictable ending.

Now I'm reading Bright's Passing by Josh Ritter, and maybe picking up my copy of David J Schow's The Kill Riff as I'm still in a horror mood, just want it to be GOOD.
ChoptopsFave is offline   Reply With Quote