Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Joker_in_the_Pack

PC liberal pussyfooted bullshit

What is with this jackass notion of, "It's a different culture from ours, so you have to respect their culture/stupid dogmas"? No I fucking don't. There's a culture in the pacific that believes in order for boys to become men, they have to give the chief a blowjob and swallow to "absorb his spirit". 'But you have to respect other people's cultures!' No I don't, fuck you. I'm not going to respect a culture based around the teachings of a guy who obviously liked getting blowjobs from little boys so much he made it into a religion that lasted for centuries on an isolated island. Fuck you. I don't have to respect them eating different animals in China, I don't have to respect those stupid barbaric, "coming of age" rituals in these backwards, third world villages, and I don't have to respect shit like arranged marriages in India and shit. A culture can be fucked up and barbaric, you don't have to respect it you liberal pussies.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
jack_the_knife

Not being PC was one of my new years resolutions...
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #3
Cicero

I'm all for avoiding political correctness, but seriously, that rant just makes you sound hypocritical and ignorant.

Call the 'third world' as barbaric as you want, but don't say it as though your own culture is perfect and somehow makes you superior.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I'm all for avoiding political correctness, but seriously, that rant just makes you sound hypocritical and ignorant.

Call the 'third world' as barbaric as you want, but don't say it as though your own culture is perfect and somehow makes you superior.
I hope he was just taking it for granted that we would assume he has knowledge of the faults of his own culture as well as the faults of others.
If he genuinely is of the opinion that he's superior, then I'm with you on this one.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
Drake Dun

Barbarism is barbarism. Throwing rocks at a woman until she dies because she made you impotent with a magic spell is fucking idiotic and barbaric. It doesn't suddenly become an interesting cultural practice worthy of respect just because you step off a plane onto some different patch of dirt, or because the person throwing the rocks has a darker shade of skin or different invisible friends.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
Nexus-6

I absolutely hate political correctness. If somebody finds something offensive they need a nice hot mug of harden the fuck up
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #7
Albert Mond

You know what's worse than political correctness? ******s. Where the fuck do they get off being so fucking lazy? Back in the day, we'd have them picking our fucking cotton. Damn ******s.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Raptor

I've never heard anyone use political correctness to try to justify anything like men abusing little boys or arranged marriage.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
viscus

Joker's nibbling around the edges of the argument that moral relativism is bullshit, with which I'm inclined to agree.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #10
Necrophagist

Exactly Joker. Have you seen British culture? Barbaric!

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Moral relativism and political correctness are not one and the same.
Moral relativism is pretty much dead on. We shun at a culture that has brutal rites of passage, but to them we cruelly and coldly abandon our children most days in concentrated buildings filled with other abandoned children because we find they get in the way of higher priorities. Who's right in this?

But as open-mindedness goes, we can only, and should only, go as far as weighing someone else's standards with our standards with as much objectivity as possible. If you're gonna hate, at least know you have reasons to hate that are more than "they're different than us so they must be evil"
What open-mindedness isn't, is blatantly ignoring your own judgment and putting on a pedestal anything different than you so that it becomes unreachable to critical inquiry.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Honestly, the blowjob thing doesn't sound that bad in that case.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Cicero

I'll admit I was surprised to read a rant against such 'barbaric' practices through the world, and see only mentions of a few unnecessary blowjobs, eating weird animals and arranged marriages...

Stoning women to death for being gang-r@ped, anyone?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
nis~sijai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Stoning women to death for being gang-r@ped, anyone?
Or female circumcision?
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
Cicero

I was going to mention that, too, along with honour killings and sacrificing albinos to use their body parts in potions.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #16
DRM

Respecting every aspest of someone elses culture isn't necessary, but there are some things that aren't bad, that perhaps should be respected, such as the Buddhist non-violent approach to life. I'll admit there are parts of diffrent cultures that are unethical or immoral to us, but you can't let those overshadow the better traditions.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 AM   #17
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM
Respecting every aspest of someone elses culture isn't necessary, but there are some things that aren't bad, that perhaps should be respected, such as the Buddhist non-violent approach to life. I'll admit there are parts of diffrent cultures that are unethical or immoral to us, but you can't let those overshadow the better traditions.
I don't think that anyone needs to be reminded to like good stuff.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #18
$haDe

Hmm...You don't have to respect every opinion people believe.

Also, they don't have to respect yours.

Fair enough for me. ::shrugs::

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Dun
Barbarism is barbarism. Throwing rocks at a woman until she dies because she made you impotent with a magic spell is fucking idiotic and barbaric. It doesn't suddenly become an interesting cultural practice worthy of respect just because you step off a plane onto some different patch of dirt, or because the person throwing the rocks has a darker shade of skin or different invisible friends.
Okay... I don't think modern day's perspective can be use to justify the action that was considered right in the past.

In the future, people might say that keeping dogs in the house is barbaric ...like depriving its right to be outside.

EDIT #2

Hypothetical, Female teenager,code name U, punchs a male teenager right in his sperm factory when he makes fun of her.
Is this Barbaric ?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Okay... I don't think modern day's perspective can be use to justify the action that was considered right in the past.
Aah... if only I were talking about the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7244579.stm

Sorry, I was working from memory and I got a couple details wrong. First, they were planning to behead her, not stone her to death. Second, I haven't been able to establish whether they ever went through with it. I googled, Wikipediad, HRWed, everything... it's like she dropped of the face of the Earth. Not sure how to interpret that.

Quote:
Hypothetical, Female teenager,code name U, punchs a male teenager right in his sperm factory when he makes fun of her.
Is this Barbaric ?
"Barbaric" is probably too strong in that case, but it's over the line, yes.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #20
$haDe

^
Then, it is a 'barbaric idea' ,for now.

Oh, you know I was refering to Unimatrix in the question, right ?

:/
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
Drake Dun

Lol, no, I didn't. I try to steer well clear of episodes like the recent ones involving Unimatrix. :P
Old 02-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by $haDe
Is this Barbaric ?
I would say so, yes. The only time it's okay to punch a boy there...even a very annoying boy...is if he is physically attacking you and/or trying to r@pe you.

She probably would have had more luck just ignoring the guy and reporting him later. [It worked for -me- in high school, so I don't know why it wouldn't work for her. :/ ]
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #23
Tam Li Hua

More on-topic reply:

While I said above that I agree with the OP, I've been thinking about it and I need to ammend my comment a bit.

Of course there are aspects of other cultures that shouldn't be tolerated [i. e., ritual suicide, the teen boy 'coming of age blow job' thing, and the like]. However, if one is living in a foreign country, you still have to be careful as to how you approach such things. You can't go in like the U. S. military and demand change of a 3,000-year-old tradition and expect it to work. Rather, it's probably better to simply present a better way of doing things in a non-hostile way, and explain to the natives why you and your culture do it differently. By presenting the information in a way that's different from "You're WRONG and I'm RIGHT!", you are more likely to inspire change than if you simply try to force your point on the other culture.

After all, we don't like it when foreigners tell -us- what to do, or that we are doing something wrong, so why would other cultures appreciate it any more than we do?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #24
Beneath the Shadows

Funny thing is, I don't actually know any liberals who are into PC.

Then again, I don't associate with people based on their political views.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #25
Alarica

I hadn't heard of the blowjob thing, but I have seen programmes on female circumcision and everytime I hear about it it makes me feel ill, and I really dont agree with stoning someone to death either. That said, I have been thinking about this today (far too much time on my hands but needed a distraction), and where we can list all the rituals of other cultures, and we can disagree with them and they revolt a lot of people, to those performing them they are a perfectly normal and part of their lives. I'm assuming here that we have all been raised in evolved societies, where we are raised and taught that these acts are barbaric. Stoning a **** victim to death isnt done within our societies, because we understand it's not the womans fault, and we also understand that its a fucking horrific way to die. We are raised to (for the most part) accept and love our bodies, and sex isnt taboo. That isnt the case for tribes that circumcise girls. Sex is to make babies. What I'm saying is, we only see these acts as barbaric, because that's how we are programmed. That doesnt make it ok, justify the acts, or mean I agree with them. In fact I'm crossing my legs now I'm recalling that programme. I can't get my head around someone taking a piece of sharp glass and, as I see it, mutilating a teenage girls privates. That's how I was raised though. I don't agree with circumcising baby boys either, and that is a practice not frowned upon, but it isn't something done within my family either (unless in hospital under anaesthetic).

I was a vegetarian until I lost my virginity, and a wise man said to me 'do you not feel guilty now, having had all that meat inside you?'
Alarica is offline   Reply With Quote