Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
The Minister Saint-Fond

The Vatican Sides Up with Evolution

Full Story with all the credits and whatnot.

THE Vatican has issued a stout defence of Charles Darwin, voicing strong criticism of Christian fundamentalists who reject his theory of evolution and interpret the biblical account of creation literally.
Cardinal Paul Poupard, head of the Pontifical Council for Culture, said the Genesis description of how God created the universe and Darwin's theory of evolution were "perfectly compatible" if the Bible were read correctly.

His statement was a clear attack on creationist campaigners in the US, who see evolution and the Genesis account as mutually exclusive.

"The fundamentalists want to give a scientific meaning to words that had no scientific aim," he said at a Vatican press conference. He said the real message in Genesis was that "the universe didn't make itself and had a creator".

This idea was part of theology, Cardinal Poupard emphasised, while the precise details of how creation and the development of the species came about belonged to a different realm - science. Cardinal Poupard said that it was important for Catholic believers to know how science saw things so as to "understand things better".

His statements were interpreted in Italy as a rejection of the "intelligent design" view, which says the universe is so complex that some higher being must have designed every detail.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
rockandrose

Charles' opinion on Christianity is bias, as he does have a science background, in which he has spent quite a lot of time researching, studying and working in origins of species etc.

In general, old religions such as Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism etc...were either philosophical or biblical. Therefore, I'm not so keen with science trying to influence a religion or science based religions such as scientology. I believe, the idea that a religion can be explained from a science point of view will take away the richness of a religion that it holds.

Although it is possible that practically anything can be explained from a science point of view these days, taking into consideration of the continuous advancing of technology. I'm not prepared to engage and believe in what science has to say about the creation of humanity or how the world was formed.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
allevil1979

Location: Somewhere south of Heaven and somewhat north of Hell
I have wondered ever since I was old enough to understand the arguments between science and religion as to why they have always seemed to be mutually exclusive of each other. There are too many things in science that we know the "how" but not the "why". And there alot of things in religion that can be explained with science and archeology. Seems to me that if alot of people quit butting heads and put them together instead of playing polotics we might understand alot more about the world than we currently do.
allevil1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
Disfunction

Personally, I see great reason behind issuing such a statement invested in the matter of religious fantatics. I mean, it's fine to believe in something, but anything when taken to an extreme is harmful. I'm not a very religious person, although recently I've found myself wishing to pray, so I may further explore this desire. As for the origin of the earth and man, I don't feel that it's particularly relevant. Some origin stories just aren't relevant beyond a method of subduing curiosity. Nietzsche issued a good argument in support of origin stories in his On the Geneology of Morals.. but that's another matter entirely.

I think it's good to reduce the animosity existent between the two groups, as getting all ruffled up over such a matter isn't really worth it to anyone. Let people believe what they wish to believe. I don't see harm in that... I do see harm in people forcing their views into the minds of others, however.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfunction
I do see harm in people forcing their views into the minds of others, however.

I agree...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #6
rockandrose

Like I said earlier, if science interfered with a religion, it will take away the richness of a religion.

Acid and holy water do not mix!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #7
rockandrose

Priest on acid....I actually wouldn't mind seeing that happen....

On a serious note, I don't view Priests the same anymore. When I think of Priests, I immediately think of child molestation. It makes me sick! How can any Priest engage in such wrong doings?

I only have respect for good Priests...
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #8
tenet_2012

It is cool that the Catholics are opening their minds a little, but I still don't believe in evolution.

Did something happen to the world while I was asleep? I mean there are killer tornados in November, riots in France and now this. It's almost enough to blow my mind.

The end is soon for sure!

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
rockandrose

tenet_2012, you are still young. You have a lot of learning to do.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
rockandrose

Back to the topic:

"We know where scientific reason can end up by itself: The atomic bomb and the possibility of cloning human beings are fruit of a reason that wants to free itself from every ethical or religious link," he said. "But we also know the dangers of a religion that severs its links with reason and becomes prey to fundamentalism," he said. "The faithful have the obligation to listen to that which secular modern science has to offer, just as we ask that knowledge of the faith be taken in consideration as an expert voice in humanity." Cardinal Paul Poupard
Old 11-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Black Gestalt

Finally, some sense. Very interesting.
Black Gestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #12
Jane13

That's one of the reasons I chose Catholicism. We're not afraid of science... at least not anymore. I thank Pope John Paul for that. I really don't like how a lot of the other denominations down here (bible belt) try to make you feel like a "bad Christian" for being Catholic or Orthodox, and a heretic for being a scientist, but that's another story.
I agree with everyone who's said that forcing ideas on other people is a horrible thing.
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #13
BlueMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea

But I am also backwater minded in that science has taken away much of my folklore. Stories about great bears and hunters from the Chickasaw and stories of the swamp spirits and even of the promise after the floods were replaced with nebulas and big bangs, swamp gas and methane, a beam of light shot through a prism. But even in that scientific knowledge of those wonders, there is wonder yet- to see th enebula, to inhale the ether, and to watxch the prism fade as the drop of water evaporates.

those things of folklore may be explained by science, but there is wonder yet.

I don't think you can have fath without science, nor science without some sense of wonder, a Burkeian "Awe" about everything.

Those things of folklore that have been scientifically explained amaze me. I can believe anything (read Gaiman's American Gods). When folklore is profen I start thinking I might be right...ye gods!!

I mean, if I was god I wouldn't defy the natural laws I created myself too proof my existence!

I'm not a christian so don't take it that way.
BlueMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #14
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gestalt
Finally, some sense. Very interesting.
What is your views on this topic?
Old 11-17-2005, 03:03 AM   #15
talon

I reckon the law is a kind of religion in its own right. Within a religion you would follow the rules. The same with law, you follow the rules in order not to be punished. If you abide by the law and follow a religion you would have two sets of rules to bide by.

As far as I'm concerned, science and religion does not mix. They should just stay away from each other.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Rasputin

i think the church changed its mind. i am a catholic, and i concerned about this problem about it. darwin is diffrent, he ends up confessing to the protestant church while god considered his theory. (god's version of creation is logic and not applied).
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane13
That's one of the reasons I chose Catholicism. We're not afraid of science... at least not anymore. I thank Pope John Paul for that. I really don't like how a lot of the other denominations down here (bible belt) try to make you feel like a "bad Christian" for being Catholic or Orthodox, and a heretic for being a scientist, but that's another story.
I agree with everyone who's said that forcing ideas on other people is a horrible thing.
catholicism today know how to consider and reconsider its problems. from considering the heliocentric theory of copernicus to reconsidering communism of marx.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote