Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Lady Starrlight

Greetings

Hello everyone.

{{{ I saw the interview questions and I'll try to answer many of them below, but I am not really into posting a lot of overly personal information about myself. }}}

My name is Starr ( literally, I have a cool mom) short for Starrlight. I own Starrlight Jewelry -&- Designs, an online gothic/alt/fantasy jewelry and home decor boutique where I sell all my handmade goods.

I had a couple of fans suggest me here, as I am guessing they are members
as well. I thought I'd give it a chance and poke my head in and say hello.

Aside from being a jewelry designer, I also run an out-of-pocket cat sanctuary.
I actually launched my boutique into a full time business to help make money for
all the cats we care for. You guys are welcome to go view some of my kitty pictures on my facebook page, the album is public:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...id=48088706447

I am a lurker by nature, but I'll be happy to answer any questions.
~Starr
Lady Starrlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
triggerhappi26

Honestly, I think I love you just for the cats but I completely understand the situation, in Newfoundland the winters were so harsh that I used to house about 26 cats when only one was mine.

Judging by the comments of the photos, you do good work, just that alone makes me super happy to say Welcome
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Ben Lahnger

*yawn*

You said, "I am not really into posting a lot of overly personal information about myself." See, I don't see the point of this then. Why bother posting an introduction at all if you're not saying enough about yourself for us to get to know you.

In real life it would be the equivalent of hiding behind a black curtain, sticking your right arm out through a slight gap so as to offer to shake hands without revealing your appearance and saying, "Hi, I'm Starr! Feel like welcoming me?"

*shrug*

Not my kind of lurker ... nothing of interest here, although some here at Gnet may find the cats or jewelry/fashion mentions enough to welcome you.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Lady Starrlight

Ty Trigger
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
the-nihilist

Why even bother posting an introduction? Just start posting replies to whatever thread interests you.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
triggerhappi26

Don't be so hard on new people, I dont understand why we can't be welcoming.

Seriously it scares people away and gives goths a bad name.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Lady Starrlight

It is ok trigger, I own a forum, I'm used to dealing with trolling

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
triggerhappi26

Well Ben is most deffinately not a troll, which I'm sure you'll see too.

But it's not just this introduction thread it's the majority of them that will get some sort of flaming, where one user will not like a particular interest of someone and then start this hate spam.

It's just silly not everyone will like the same things as EVERYONE it's impossible, so the knee jerk negative reactions are completely uncalled for.

It's SERIOUSLY getting old.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
the-nihilist

You think that's bad? Go post a poem in the literature forum.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
triggerhappi26

I have, trust me I'll NEVER do that again.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
the-nihilist

Meh, it's just a few pseudo-intellectuals purple prosing cliché internet flames with an inflated vocabulary. It all amounts to nothing.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Lady Starrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
Meh, it's just a few pseudo-intellectuals purple prosing cliché internet flames with an inflated vocabulary.
I have people like that on my board, I have wondered if they are just sitting there with a thesaurus in their hands.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Lady Starrlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
You said, "I am not really into posting a lot of overly personal information about myself." See, I don't see the point of this then. Why bother posting an introduction at all if you're not saying enough about yourself for us to get to know you.
I wanted to give a small introduction. One of my fans sent me an email with a list of sites that she is a member of and told me that "these are places that might really like a give-away" this forum was one of them.

--- With my shop, I hold small & *free* contests, to which I award one or more pieces of my merchandise/creations to the winners of.

So If I came in and just started dropping " win free stuff!" posts in the shill forum and no one knew who I am or what I am about it would have been most likely received as spam. Whereas the point of my give-away contests are to give back to the community that has support me and my endeavors for many years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
In real life it would be the equivalent of hiding behind a black curtain, sticking your right arm out through a slight gap so as to offer to shake hands without revealing your appearance and saying, "Hi, I'm Starr! Feel like welcoming me?"
IRL: If I was in a room full of people I didn't know, I *would* be hiding behind a curtain.
That's me in my avatar, so you get to see more than my arm.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #14
GorthGirl

Hey Everybody, Nice site. You should check out xcravn .net its another kool Goth Site. So doees anyone know where I can get New rock boots in Florida?
GorthGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
KissMeDeadly

Listen, the newbies are mocked only because they are newbies. Nobody knows them yet, they're new, people aren't sure if they trust them. Pack mentality, gentlemen.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappi26 View Post

But it's not just this introduction thread it's the majority of them that will get some sort of flaming, where one user will not like a particular interest of someone and then start this hate spam.

It's just silly not everyone will like the same things as EVERYONE it's impossible, so the knee jerk negative reactions are completely uncalled for.

I think if you'll look through my responses to the introductions you'll find I'm pretty friendly to them if they talk a bit about themselves, EVEN if I find I don't have anything in common with them.

When I'm rude or mean or insulting or (in this case) direct is when they post an introduction in the introduction thread that IS NOT AN INTRODUCTION.

It's not new and it shouldn't be surprising to anyone over the age of 10 that if you say you want to introduce yourself to a room full of strangers but then don't say anything about yourself, you deserve to be called on it.

triggerhappi26, instead of telling us "Don't be so hard on new people, I dont understand why we can't be welcoming", I'd like to know why you don't have some minimal acceptable standards yourself for how someone introduces themselves? This isn't hard.

And Lady Starrlight, I get that you actually didn't come here to do an introduction ... you came here to promote your business/hobby. And that's fine. Just go post away in the SHILL section to your heart's content. THAT's excatly what the SHILL section is for!

Just don't offer up that lame explanation for why you couldn't post an introduction because we're all a bunch of strangers, and continue to perpetrate this sham.

P.S. - I DON'T AUTOMATICALLY MOCK SOMEONE JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE NEW

If you see me getting on a newbie, there's a reason for it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #17
triggerhappi26

Ben we all know you're a great person and my comment wasn't specifically singling you out, I wasn't even referring to this specific intro.

Speaking generally we aren't a welcoming bunch. It's wrong to be harsh on newbies there has to be some time to learn, you can't bunch every new comer in with the n00bs
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
JustNSane

Eh. It used to be way worse here when it came to greeting new people. As though it were a sport. Was rather fun to watch. lol.

At any rate...welcome to GNet. Propagate the threads and be fucking merry. =)
JustNSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Ben we all know you're a great person and my comment wasn't specifically singling you out, I wasn't even referring to this specific intro.

Speaking generally we aren't a welcoming bunch. It's wrong to be harsh on newbies there has to be some time to learn, you can't bunch every new comer in with the n00bs
Actually, that's not true. If a person reads the stickies, they have a pretty good chance of getting off on the right foot. If they just spend a little time reading some of the other introduction threads first, they'll probably get it right. If they were brought up with a modicum of social grace, they'll probably get it right.

What I won't stand for is a general "let's not be too hard on the newbies just because they're newbies" sentiment.

If they're rude, self-centered, obnoxious or unsociable (and posting a non-introduction intro is both self-centered and unsociable) then being a newbie is no defense.

When I started I read this site extensively for a month before I posted my first post, and got my post count to something like 500 posts before I started a new thread (other than my intro) so I would understand the expectations here. I didn't get one flame in my intro thread.

This is not hard, it's not unreasonable and you shouldn't be a little cheerleader in support of the newbies who exhibit bad behavior.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNSane View Post
Eh. It used to be way worse here when it came to greeting new people. As though it were a sport. Was rather fun to watch. lol.
...you joined last month, dude.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #21
Ben Lahnger

I believe he was here previously in a different persona.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #22
ape descendant

Quote:

Its not just a knee jerk reaction.. if some one is fail.. they need to know.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
carakitty

Way to go ape descendant (BTW where in CO are you? )+ Ben!

Starr, Thanks fro helping the cats! We have four cats and I bottle raised one kitten who is ours now. I'm going to school to be a Vet Tech. It is hard work, but I think purrs and headbutts are the best pay ever!

I hope you find you enjoy your stay here. I'd love to have you make me some stuff some day.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #24
ape descendant

I'm on the western slope.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote