Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Underwater Ophelia

Potty Training.

A friend of mine is trying to potty train a kid.
Any tips that would make this easier?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, so at a young age you're already confining him to conform with the idea of "everything in its place"?
ANARCHY!!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Get the rod and beat the child.

Apply that concept to every instance where the child makes a mistake in any scenario, and sometimes just do it on the premise that the child has most likely done something wrong.

Alas, I cannot give you any ACTUAL tips other than reinforcing that peepee and poopoo go in the toilet and not on the carpet.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
Underwater Ophelia

I should have figured you guys wouldn't be of much help.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Geoluhread

Kids are suckers for rewards...
Reward them whenever they did the poopoo and pee.... thing...

My cousin had problems with being able to poo on time, i sorta helped my aunt... Whenever my cousin had to go, she must tell *rewards and words of encouragement if they do*, when she was on the potty, i sat opposite to her, and just start saying "get that bad poo out, if you do i'll ..., or if you finish faster we'll go play"something of that sort... Whenever she said that nothing came out, i took her mind off the topic a bit, then in a few minutes continue the poo talk...
Lots of cheery and happy words after she's done, so can know that she did well...
- sometimes it took several hours... And when she got off the potty, she had a round red circle on her behind...

I don't know how old is the kid you're talking about... If he/she is young, i'll ask mom tomorrow when she's back from work...

@sir corpsey, beating the child only makes them bed witters...
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Xombie

I'm agreeing with Geoluhread. Children are more prone to act for rewards than to react to punishment. I do think that not-so-severe punishment when done incorrectly paired with rewards when done correctly is a good mix, but trying to scare the child into peeing in the right place won't get anything accomplished.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Yes but the beating helps the parents relieve all the stress 'caused by the early years.

/sarcasm
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
Kristin

I'm a lazy mom in some ways. (Interpretation: I'm easygoing, or try to be.) I have six kids, so I do have a little bit of experience in the pottytraining area. Four of my kids were pottytrained within a month of turning three. My second kid, Emily, once she realized what the toilet was for started using it before she turned two! The boys were harder to train, I've heard that's normal. My last baby is very much like Emily in stubbornness and independence, so she also trained herself before she turned two.

I didn't really do anything other than show them what the toilet was for (all of them were scared of potty chairs, dorks), and occasionally sit them on the toilet for around 30 seconds at a time, a few times a day. When they got it, I'd make a huge hairy deal and then give them a little piece of candy as a reward. That's really all it took for all of mine. Praise by bribery for good things, take away privileges for bad things, those are my main tactics.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
AngelikDemonik

Boy or girl?

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My suggestion varies from kid to kid and how tolerant they are of wearing soiled diapers, but when they are infants and you always change the diaper as soon as they are dirty, the child usually grows to prefer a clean diaper and begins to dislike wearing soiled diapers for any length of time, and so it will be easier to train them. And yeah, my experience is that boys take longer. Girls don't like wearing poopoo.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
And yeah, my experience is that boys take longer. Girls don't like wearing poopoo.
That's because boys are nasty little creatures. ;-P
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Boy or girl?
Sexist!!!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Jaye Jang

Kids also like to mimic the big folks. I tried every conceivable training device, bribery, etc. with my girl. What finally worked was when I found a miniature 'john' complete with flushing noises. I put it by mine and put a little rug around it, and even a little magazine rack by it. Found out 'monkey see, monkey do' works.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Sexist!!!!
Conformist! conforming with the ideas of sexism and anarchy! I just realized I'm a conformist for speaking the same language as you, and using the same alphabet as you, must switch to non conforming language! ≈oè½3ëàwWôûì

²K[*k
+

±╫ ○/3ô

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:18 AM   #15
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Sexist!!!!

But boys can use the "dunk the cheerios" method!!! With ease! =)

Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Boy or girl?
He's a little boy, and he seems to be fine with peeing in the toilet, but he still pees and poops in his diaper as well, and doesn't seem to care either way.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
He's a little boy, and he seems to be fine with peeing in the toilet, but he still pees and poops in his diaper as well, and doesn't seem to care either way.
From my experience with kids and potty training, boys tend to be a little more stubborn about it than girls. From what I've seen that has worked for other parents is getting them "big kid" undergarments with their favorite cartoon character or something. The positive reinforcement thing works well too, like everyone else mentioned. Just stress to your friend that if he's not getting with the program as soon as others kids, that it's not a bad thing (other than having to change his diapers, of course). Kids will do it willingly when they're ready.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Unimatrix 00

Purchase a tazer and allow the child to roam around naked. Place the potty in the room you have locked him/her and apply an electric shock every time they defecate on the floor. He/she will soon learn.

(not really please don't do this.)
Unimatrix 00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Geoluhread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00
Purchase a tazer and allow the child to roam around naked. Place the potty in the room you have locked him/her and apply an electric shock every time they defecate on the floor. He/she will soon learn.

(not really please don't do this.)
Hehe
If the kid doesn't die, he'll learn a lesson

Haha
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote