Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
BlacKat

Corseture for the petite (and poor)?

I have always adored the look of corsets, especially lace or brocade. However, I am, shall we say, extremely petite. 28'' waist and not a huge amount of curves otherwise. A custom corset is absolutely out of the question - I like to eat, and paying for school books is nice too. I have some limited sewing abilities but not enough to make a corset myself, I'm afraid.

Does anyone know where one can obtain corsets in such a size? Or if there is a way slightly larger mass-produced corsets can be altered?
BlacKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
BlacKat

...make that 24'' waist, as I apparently cannot do basic math today.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
MissCheyenne

If you want a corset, a decent corset, save your money up and buy one. Cheap, ill fitting ones are terrible for you and also look exactly that, cheap and ill fitting. Seriously, put a little money aside when you can then go and get properly fitted for one. Not only will it look nicer, it will also fit properly and last a hell of a long time if you look after it right.

EDIT : being properly fitted for it matters. When I went for mine to be fitted, they measured me as one size but when they put it on me, it was much too big and they had to keep going down a size at a time to find one that fit me. Don't underestimate how important the fitting process is.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
BlacKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
If you want a corset, a decent corset, save your money up and buy one. Cheap, ill fitting ones are terrible for you and also look exactly that, cheap and ill fitting. Seriously, put a little money aside when you can then go and get properly fitted for one. Not only will it look nicer, it will also fit properly and last a hell of a long time if you look after it right.

EDIT : being properly fitted for it matters. When I went for mine to be fitted, they measured me as one size but when they put it on me, it was much too big and they had to keep going down a size at a time to find one that fit me. Don't underestimate how important the fitting process is.
Does this still hold if one is looking primarily at fashion corsets and not actual shapewear? I want the look more than the actual shape-change; I am under no delusions that any corset can reshape my figure short of actually removing a few ribs. There's just nothing to move around.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
MissCheyenne

If you're looking for fashion wear rather than a proper, steel boned corset, then it doesn't matter so much. Be aware though that a badly fitting, plastic boned fashion corset will still cause you pain if it doesn't fit properly. Lingerie sections of clothing stores may have the kind of thing you're after if you aren't wanting to fork out for a steel boned item but even then, make sure you try them on both with and without a bra to make sure you get a comfortable fit. Plastic boning can snap and splinter, digging into and even cutting through the material if its especially cheaply made.

Also, you'd be surprised at how much a corset can change the shape of even the thinnest of women, it's all about getting the lacing right really.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
MissCheyenne

DOUBLE POST.

Also, this may seem a personal question but do you have a small or a larger chest? Chest size will also help determine what kind of corset would work best for you

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Catch

Hot topic and second hand shops are nice. It is difficult finding the right store though. I think around here is was Grunts and Posteures.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
MissCheyenne

NOOOOOOO! Seriously, it may seem like a cheap and thrifty idea but buying corsets second hand is a bad idea. Even plastic boned ones mould to the shape of the wearer after being worn so many times so as much of a bargain as they might seem, they won't fit and won't be worth the money. I would seriously only advise buying one from a second hand store if the item in question is new WITH tags. Previously worn ones really won't be much use.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
BlacKat

Quote:
DOUBLE POST.

Also, this may seem a personal question but do you have a small or a larger chest? Chest size will also help determine what kind of corset would work best for you
It's fine. I actually have a midrange to large chest (measures at C, fits a D), which seems to contribute to the problem - most stuff for my height/weight seems to be aimed at teen girls who haven't quite finished filling out yet. No hips to speak of though, and rather short figure overall.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
MissCheyenne

In my experience, an underbust corset would 'enhance' your chest where an overbust one would squash it down a little. This is purely based on my own experience so it's still worth you trying plenty of them on to find the one that's right for you. Be aware of differing neckline cuts as well, they will all have an effect on the overall look of the corset. Most women I know who have a larger chest and don't want to overly enhance their chests have gone for a straight cut neckline on their corsets and those wanting a little more 'oomph' have opted for sweetheart type cuts.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #11
Grausamkeit

I hate the overbust corsets with the edges that come right up into your arm pits! i altered my leather overbust into an underbust because I couldn't wear it. Also, chest squishing is not comfortable and if you are prone to panic attacks(like me) you will probably not like the overbust as they squeeze you and compact your chest a bit. It's not a painful squeeze, just leaves you a bit breathless until you figure out how to breath in it.

Contrary to popular belief, you do not need to get ribs removed to properly wear a corset. Anyone can wear a corset, you just need to put one on. There are some that are affordable and not completely terrible. I've heard some good things about this site having decent off-the-rack corsets that aren't expensive.

Alternatively, you can go >>HERE!<< and learn to measure and make patterns to make you own corsets. Then go >>HERE<< and buy the supplies.

I would really suggest not wearing fashion corsets. They're icky in my opinion. Real corsets take time to get into and out of and they take a bit of practice to wear, but they are worth it. Do you get financial aid for school?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
MissCheyenne

I have 2 corsets myself, an overbust and an underbust and I NEVER let anyone else wear them. Like I said, they mould to fit YOU so wearing someone elses, lending someone else yours or buying them second hand isn't a great idea. Mine both lace down to 24'' and are both steel boned, which after wearing them for some time isn't uncomfortable. It did take me a while to learn how to control my breathing while wearing them but once I got past that, I was fine.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

You women do too much to look all beautiful. But keep on working it!
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
Solumina

You really had to adjust your breathing? I never had that problem *shrug*

I also agree about paying for quality, you don't have to spend a ton of money but a good idea of how to think of what you should spend for your budget is to pay as much as you would for a nice dress, instead of what you would pay for a shirt. Much like heels there are plenty of cute ones out there that are cheap, those are just the ones that you will hurt like hell after an hour or so, pay a little more for something good and it will save you money (as it will last longer) and will be far more worth it as you will be more comfortable and able to wear it far more frequently and for longer periods of time.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
Murder.Of.Crows

MissC I want to get a corset, but I had no idea of all the things that go into getting one. I mean I'm looking for one to shape, but holy crap, I don't want to walk in a store and start yelling at people for the measuring tape.

I can't really process a proper comment right, too tired, so I'm gonna make this whole thing short. Any suggestions on finding one specifically for shaping, such as style and in store or internet shopping?
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
MissCheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
You really had to adjust your breathing? I never had that problem *shrug*.
Yeah, it took me a few hours of wearing when I first wore a corset, not in an extreme sense, I just had to be a little more careful if I exerted myself really, you know, walking a little slower than usual to keep my breathing even and such like. I've seen more than one person pass out because they couldn't breathe in their corsets which, to be fair, could have been down to their vanity and insisting that they be laced into the smallest possible size they could rather than something that fit them properly.

M.O.C - I'm not an expert but size is all important. If you are going to get something for shapewear it's a MUST to get properly sized for it, no matter what the style. The last thing you want is to hurt yourself because you have something that's wrong for your size and shape. And yes, if they fit wrong, they do hurt. I know a girl who ended up in the hospital because she simply would not take the time to get properly fitted and she ended up with something way too small and passed out ( she couldn't breathe properly which made her panic and hyperventilate), smashed her head on a chest of drawers and had to have stitches. Silly girl.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
MissC I want to get a corset, but I had no idea of all the things that go into getting one. I mean I'm looking for one to shape, but holy crap, I don't want to walk in a store and start yelling at people for the measuring tape.

I can't really process a proper comment right, too tired, so I'm gonna make this whole thing short. Any suggestions on finding one specifically for shaping, such as style and in store or internet shopping?
Find out if you have a genuine corset shop or a good lingerie shop near you. Don't buy a corset from a 'shop' that looks like they only sell fashion corsets and don't have someone to fit you. Go to the corset/lingerie shop and talk to the fitter. They should be knowledgeable about different styles of corsets, how to gradually lace them on and how to avoid hurting yourself in one.

For shaping, even for tight-lacers, the effect is not permanent if you don't constantly wear a corset. You will have to gradually 'train' down to the 4-6" below your natural waist unless you are already an experienced corset wearer.

http://www.corsetheaven.com/corsets/...ce/wearing.asp

http://www.sylphide.de/eratgeb.php

http://www.romantasy.com/index.html?...and_care.shtml

Read those links.

My next corset is going to be one of *these*! Looks like the perfect size, for me.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #18
BlacKat

Of course, I almost never spend over $50 on a dress...all my nice stuff is either second-hand, off-season and deeply discounted, or from the slightly damaged rack. I have a pair of $20 evening dresses that have lasted for years.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
MissCheyenne

I've been wearing corsets for nearly ten years now and I still can't get past 24'', anything past that really hurts me. That said, I do have a mis-shapen rib cage (it's a lot rounder than it should be and sticks out, giving me an overhang between my ribs and stomach) so it could be down to that rather than me doing something wrong with the corsets.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
Grausamkeit

You know what? Just listen to what MissC tells you about corsets. She has more experience.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #21
MissCheyenne

Is that meant to be sarcasm?^ I never claimed to be an expert on the subject in any way shape or form.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Is that meant to be sarcasm?^ I never claimed to be an expert on the subject in any way shape or form.
No, I just mean that you have more personal experience to give advice from than I do about buying and wearing corsets.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
MissCheyenne

Then I apologise for assuming you were trying to be a bitch. I'm not having a great time at the minute so I'm kinda taking everything a bit too personally, so again, I apologise. I'm not an expert though, I just don't want to see anyone make the same mistakes I did when I bought my first corset and the mistakes I've seen plenty of other people make even though they really should know better.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
Grausamkeit

It's okay, I was having bad PMS last week so I know how mood swings go. I also still struggle with depression, though it's been years since I've had a full-blown episode. Taking things personally is just par for the course some days.

No hurt feelings, here! And no offense meant. ^_^

Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #25
Murder.Of.Crows

MissC, what be the problem? Is everything all right in the land of... wherever in England your at.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote