Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
CptSternn

Putin: Time Magazines Man Of The Year 2007

I thought this was brilliant. Contrary to what you see on the American news, this man is loved in his country and has done more to return Russia to a superpower status than any of his predecessors.

Good to see an unbiased look at him. Also, he pulls no punches in his article and really blasts America for the same stuff many people have been saying.

Anyone else read the article?
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
UnSeenEvil

I didn't read the article, but I've been seeing him in the news a lot.
It's good to see that country get back on its feet, but who knows if they do become a strong super power again that another Cold war won't breaks out. My generation never had to worry about any of that, besides so far what 9/11 and terrorist we really don't have much worries other country's like we use too back in the day. As long as they stay in Russia and don't start taking over random Coutry's like before we should have nothing to much to worry about.
I thought after the Communist fell from power and the people tried Democracy in Russia, the U.S. would have tried to have made Russia a closer Allie, but all we did was sit back and brag about winning the Cold War, kind of rubbing it in there faces a little. Now more the half the world hates us, with no help from Darth Bush. I'm Gland to see the new president of France is trying to reunite the friends the US and the France once had, the France had our backs and we had theres. But thats was off subject.
I'm not sure to fear or like Putin.
UnSeenEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
UnSeenEvil

They have the article online, but I can't post the URL on here yet. Just google "time Putin person of the year" and you should be able to get it. They even have a video of a interview with him.
Yes, it's a very enlightening article, I didn't know to much about the guy anyways. He made it pretty far in such a small time, and has put Russia back on the map, not like you can miss it anyways.
UnSeenEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
Drake Dun

Putin is a good guy. You can take my word for it. I looked into his eyes and saw his soul.

;P

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
StasisInDarkness

I read the article, and he is a very intriguing man, revitalizing Russia in a way that many people assumed impossible.

However, seeing as Russia has resumed nuclear testing and has successfully built the "father of all bombs", I'm a bit concerned.

No one wants a Cold War II.
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Rorschach Twin

I'm going to have to check it out. I actually really like Time magazine.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StasisInDarkness
I read the article, and he is a very intriguing man, revitalizing Russia in a way that many people assumed impossible.

However, seeing as Russia has resumed nuclear testing and has successfully built the "father of all bombs", I'm a bit concerned.

No one wants a Cold War II.
The bush administration does. They broke 2 seprate treaties with Russia and are about to break a third (involving the new 'missle shield'). Russia didn't start working on new nukes until two years after the bush administration backed out of two peace treaties. Also, for those who know a thing about Constitutional law, treaties in America are equal to the Constitution, which means bush and his people have directly violated laws that he has no power or authority to violate...but thats for a whole different thread...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
It is pleasant for me to see people from the West for once not portraying Putin as Stalin Junior. He is a clever guy, able to keep a firm grip on a large country such as Russia, which is what Russia needs in order to get up to the level where democrasy is realizable.
And he really is something like a national hero in Russia. When I was there, in restaurants you could often see a portrait of Putin hanging next to an icon, or there were even childhood photos of him plastered alover the place for some time..
Admitted, his powerfullness can arrouse suspision and fear, but what kind of influential individual doesn't have to deal with that? He is not mentally ill or a drunkard, which in my opinion would be a reason for alarm, not a powerful and firm leader of a large country with world power potential.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
IsolatedReptile

While he's not Stalin Jr., he is certainly equally as manipulative and destructive, not to mention, progressive. Stalin progressed the country from a feudal era to an Industrialized era in a matter of years. Putin has taken the country from not much more than a poor piss pot and trophy for America's victory during the Cold War and made it an economic powerhouse and a world leader again.

I admire the man for his ability to lead, but I still feel a bit off by all of the things he's done to get there. It's starting to look like the only people who can run Russia are the ones who are willing to get their hands dirty and have no shame or moral stance, and their only driving factor is bettering Russia.

Edited to add: Read the article. It's brilliant.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
The_Terror_of_Death

Hmm, makes you wonder how well the U.S. would be doing if Bush was more like Putin doesn't it?
The_Terror_of_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #11
Lapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
The bush administration does. They broke 2 seprate treaties with Russia and are about to break a third (involving the new 'missle shield'). Russia didn't start working on new nukes until two years after the bush administration backed out of two peace treaties. Also, for those who know a thing about Constitutional law, treaties in America are equal to the Constitution, which means bush and his people have directly violated laws that he has no power or authority to violate...but thats for a whole different thread...
Sternn, was there ever a time the Bush Administration wasn't completely ignoring the Constitution? I live here. I think I'd know. In fact, here's a quote from our dear president: "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face; it's just a piece of paper!"

(Grits teeth) Only a piece of paper that OUTLINES OUR COUNTRY'S LAWS AND VALUES YOU DUMB FUCK! (Tries to calm down) Only one more year, only one more year, please give us someone who will run the damn country right! Please!
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
CptSternn

Laplin -

True. Very true.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #13
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just felt like saying....

"I admire the man for his ability to lead, but I still feel a bit off by all of the things he's done to get there. It's starting to look like the only people who can run Russia are the ones who are willing to get their hands dirty and have no shame or moral stance, and their only driving factor is bettering Russia."

1) well the proof that you get for "all of the things he's done" to get to power usually comes from western sources....and since these people have enough reasons to fear a powerful Russia I personally wonder how much of it is true....
2) Russia is huge and full of different nationalities, prosperity levels, ideas.......you can't really control the whole place while being Jesus or something. Politics are dirty and immoral and ruling a country like Russia is not possible without getting cruel.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote