Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Canem

Lip or Eyebrow?

I know that DIY piercings spell trouble, but I have no choice. I want to pierce either my lip or eyebrow. I've never pierced anything before and was wondering which looks better. I can cover my eyebrow with my hair, but the lip would be more conspicuous.
Canem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
DeathChii

Eyebrow.
Lip peircings can damage your teeth...
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Delicate_Torture

If you know that self piercings are trouble are you really such a fashion slave that you are still going to pierce yourself?

If you are then you are an idiot. And anyone who encourages this foolishness is either an idiot as well, or just trying to create their own little experiment into Darwinism.

You will be very lucky if a rejected piercing and scarring is the only problem that you come across.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Saddiction

Get it done professionally.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I have done many piercings myself and trust me, it's nothing but trouble to do so. I had to take them all out pretty much. The only ones still in are my third holes in my ears. I even had to remove my fourth and fifth holes. So if you're just underage then just wait until you can get it done, but if you just feel the need to do it yourself then don't. It just spells trouble sweetie.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
zombisoup

Ohmanohman, if you're going to do a DIY piercing, make sure you're piercing it with a hollow needle (you can buy one online, or take the needle off of a syringe), and make sure both the needle and the area you're piercing are cleaned with something like medical alcohol.
Also use salt water after, to clean+make it heal better.
And don't just shove random metal in, get surgical or stainless steel, or titanium. They're better for fresh/healing piercings.

A lip is safer to DIY-pierce, because supposedly you're more likely to hit a nerve, and/or get complications with an eyebrow than a lip. And that wouldn't be fun.
Andwhen/if you're piercing your lip, feel around where you're piercing, and make sure you don't hit a major vein (it's hard to miss if you feel for it).

Goodluck! :J
zombisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii
Eyebrow.
Lip peircings can damage your teeth...
I meant in general... You should do neither yourself!!
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
MollyMac

Do it professionally, and do not do yout lip. Tooth damage is bad, infections due to food and drink are tripled, and the skin scars worse.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

I don't understand how you have no choice in the matter...um, just don't get it done. I'm assuming you're allowed to get a piercing, since yes, your family will find out even if you get it yourself. If it's because you can't afford it, save up and don't be such a cheap bastard that you're willing to get your face filled with infection just so you can look "cool."

I'd say go with the lip, because I don't like eyebrow piercings, but either way, if you do it yourself, you're an idiot. Unless you're a professional piercer, which you aren't, you're an idiot. There's no getting around it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #10
Wolf DarkRain

Location: USA PA (the land of the Amish and French fries in salads)
One of my friends had a lip piercing and it got infected really badly. I've seen it with other people I know, too. Besides, it wears away at the enamel of your teeth. Eyebrow piercings are the way to go.

But DO NOT do it yourself. It's much more dangerous. Lip or eyebrow, you could damage the skin tissue and it takes a long time to repair. Especially lip.
Wolf DarkRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
the_ink_bleeds_faster

You should get it done professionally because DIY piercings can lead to a lot of problems. When my mom was young she pierced her belly button herself and it got infected so bad it swelled up. Her mom made her go to the hospital and they had to take it out and it left a horrible scar. That's one reason I chose not to pierce my belly-button myself when I wanted one. Now I think they look horrible.

I heard somewhere that when you pierce your eyebrow wrong it can bleed really bad, is that true? I'm not sure and I don't want to say it is true.
the_ink_bleeds_faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
psyches_reflection

There would be more risks in attempting to pierce your own eyebrow, as there is less skin and fat protecting the muscles and nerves. You risk causing impairment to your facial movements.

I'll admit that I've done several piercings myself - six in my ear lobes and my lip. I did them when I was young, skint and very, VERY stupid. Thankfully I've never had any serious complications from doing so, and have all but two of the ear piercings to this day (the first ones I did, because they were a bit wonky). While I did plenty of research into hygiene and how the piercing should sit, I never thought of the consequences and could have paid for that dearly. Rejection and scarring are one thing, septecemia is another.

Remember that piercings cost so much to pay for the quality and sterility of the materials involved, as well as after care and expertise. Ask any people you know with (successful) piercings where they got it done, save up for it and don't risk injuring yourself. Besides, if it's a case of familial disapproval, it's not going to be made any easier if they know it's a DIY job and not a professional one.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #13
Romantic Raven

I asked a physician and he said that if you pierce your eyebrow, there is a chance that the needle might pierce a nerve or something and that you can lose your eye. Oh yeah, and if you pierce your lip your teeth and gums could suffer damage. So I'd say none.

But if you must, do make your piercings professionally.
"I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me." - Charles Baudelaire
Romantic Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
mindless1

You could end up with a really bad infection. If you pierce your lip you could get tetanus and it's a really dumb idea. I've known of some people who did it themselves though and seemed to have no problem.
It'll hurt less, be less of a risk, and probably look a hell of a lot better if you get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.
mindless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #15
Heatherzilla

It's probably a good idea to get it done professionally but if you feel you must do it yourself at least make sure you know what you're doing. There was a guide to self piercing on Bmezine.com once upon a time, I think it's still up there somewhere.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
Anguelon

Exclamation

Don't ever , ever pierce anything urself. I had my belly button pierced once professionally and it was pure agony for me. To make matters worse, my body rejected the piercing and took it off after seeing my doctor. I will never go further than piercing my ears for it seems my body rejects piercings. Sometimes , even professionals are idiots. They may pierce a small vein like it happened to me, he went too deep. Besides, piercing is a stupid fad if u're gonna do it this way. Have some individuality my friend.
Anguelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #17
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canem
I know that DIY piercings spell trouble, but I have no choice. I want to pierce either my lip or eyebrow. I've never pierced anything before and was wondering which looks better. I can cover my eyebrow with my hair, but the lip would be more conspicuous.
DIY piercings spell trouble for a reason. DO NOT DO IT!
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #18
Lucretia_my_Reflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romantic Raven
I asked a physician and he said that if you pierce your eyebrow, there is a chance that the needle might pierce a nerve or something and that you can lose your eye. Oh yeah, and if you pierce your lip your teeth and gums could suffer damage. So I'd say none.

But if you must, do make your piercings professionally.

Im soon to start my body piercing training, if your lip bar is the right length that should not happen, i say get both of them done. Come to the holey side my friend ; ]
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
kitten

^^ I was wondering what a lip bar was. Brandon got his snake bits and his are both individual posts.

My Fiance got his snake bites done a couple months back, and trust me, thats something you want done professionally. (The piercer didn't like the position of the second piercing, he ended up getting that one re-pierced 4 times total and even getting it done professionally, he still ended up with a little infection) (everything is fine now though)