Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:43 AM   #1401
Queenofdarkness57

OOh, I just watched the most boring and useless movie EVER! " Dazed and Confused" is about some hippies in the late 1970's. Eugh, I swear there is no plot. All they fucking do is smoke weed and drive in their car listening to some annoying music. What a waste of time! Well, I guess I'll be returning to my studies now...*sniff*
Old 03-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #1402
mydnyght

i particularly liked underworld, the second time. the first time i saw it, uuuum, i could take it or leave it. the second time is definatly better and saw the sequel in theatres. awesome! the last movie i watched was charlie and the chocolate factory. better that the first movie that came out years ago.
mydnyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #1403
Queenofdarkness57

I didn't like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. it was too boring. I watched it in the plane to Dubai. Although Johnny Depp was in it. * drools*
Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #1404
dead_roses

Kill Bill Vol.2
dead_roses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #1405
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofdarkness57
I didn't like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. it was too boring. I watched it in the plane to Dubai. Although Johnny Depp was in it. * drools*
I liked it more than the original film. It was just really cute and fun

*Joins you in drooling over Johnny*

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #1406
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
I am not a big fan of the Harry Potter movies.

They are a little to fairy-taleish for me, like Narnia. It seems like every time they are in an impossible postition the most improbable thing happens to save them.
I like their fairytale qualities, it's pure escapism for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
But the last one, Goblet of Fire, was MUCH Darker.

The first Potter movie where someone gets killed as well.

But I am a bit annoyed they chose to deviate from the book storyline quite a bit.

All in all it was pretty good.
They did cut a lot out, but I don't think they did too bad considering how much plot they had to cram into two-and-a-bit hours. I would've liked to have heard about SPEW though!

Have you seen the special features on the second DVD? There are 3D tours of Dumbledore's office and Diagon Alley - I spent over an hour wandering around!

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-25-2006, 11:02 AM   #1407
Empty_Purple_Stars

Ahh no, I'll have to wait til we buy the DVD to explore that nifty little feature.

I do want to jump up and down and reccommend an AMAZING movie, all of you Neil Gaiman fans MUST check out!!!

Mirror Mask..

Holy Hell.

I have never seen anything like it.

The mind of Neil Gaiman is a wonderous and LSD filled arena o' macabre fun.

It's so so so so so very good..

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/he...ryphin%202.jpg

http://www.threemonkeysonline.com/im...rror_mask1.jpg

http://i.jubii.dk/film/wallpapers/Mi...sk_01_1024.jpg

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya...rmask_new5.jpg

It's worth it just for the never before seen creatures, beings and realms he creates in the movie..

ED, I am going to have to insist you watch it if you haven't already.

It is an artistic symphony of twisted beauty..

Wow, just wow..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:56 PM   #1408
Pathogen.

"Mission To Mars" [2002?]. Directed by Brian DePalma. My lesbian roommate picked this. Don't ask me why.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:26 PM   #1409
Nike

Motorcycle Diaries.
Ernesto Che Guevara's "Motorcycle Diaries" as a movie. Nice ides
Uhm, well,it was Spanish with Greek Subtitles, and I've never really learned Spanish. I decided that Greek letters don't really fit to that movie...I think I've failed to understand some details, but I think it was a very good movie.
It's a while ago, that I've read the book....
Old 03-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #1410
dreamydancer

The Libertine – Wow, that John Wilmot guy was worse than the Marquis de Sade, at least according to the film’s portrayal. I tend to enjoy obscene perversion but this was a bit much for my taste. For some reason I was expecting it to be more political and artsy. As always I never get the full details and understanding when I’ve seen a movie only once. Nevertheless this movie deserves a C+ in my book.

To put it simply it’s one of those movies that last a long time yet fail to say enough. On a happier note that Wilmot fellow chooses a plain woman over his hot wife, which gives me hope.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #1411
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Ahh no, I'll have to wait til we buy the DVD to explore that nifty little feature.
I've borrowed it off a friend - it may be a while before she gets it back! I'm definitely buying it for myself when I can afford it though.

Mirror Mask sounds cool, I love the pics you posted! *Goes off to look it up on Amazon*

Edit: I'm going nutsy... (ok, nutsier!) The 3D special features are on the Chamber of Secrets DVD I borrowed. Sorry if I confused you!

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #1412
Ben Lahnger

I'm watching "The Late Show" with Art Carney and Lilly Tomlin. (1977)

I'm about 10 minutes into it and I already feel the world weariness of Carney's retired private eye.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #1413
Beowulf

Cool Past, present or future, never count out The Count!

Dracula: AD1972

This was one of the last films that Christopher Lee appeared as Dracula.
What is interesting about this film is that they brought the story to London 1972, to put it into then contemporary setting...

"In London 1872 - the final battle between Lawrence van Helsing and Count Dracula on top of a coach results in Dracula dying from a stake made from the remains of a wooden wheel. Lawrence dies from his wounds and, as he is buried, a servant of Dracula buries the remains of the stake by the grave and keeps a bottle of Dracula's ashes and the ring. One hundred years later, the colourful 1972, Johnny, the great-grandson of the servant joins up with a "group" containing Jessica, the grand-daughter of the present vampire hunter, Abraham van Helsing and with their unknowing help resurrect Dracula in the 20th Century who is determined to destroy the house of Van Helsing, but who can believe that The king of the Vampires really exists and is alive - in 20th Century London?" IMDB

I think on the whole its another classic Hammer film with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:17 PM   #1414
Magpie_Tendencies

I just watched "Lords of Dogtown" at my friends house. The story was slow and the plot was taken over by skating and surfing tricks. Overall the movie wasn't great but the tricks were cool.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #1415
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Dracula: AD1972

This was one of the last films that Christopher Lee appeared as Dracula.
What is interesting about this film is that they brought the story to London 1972, to put it into then contemporary setting...

"In London 1872 - the final battle between Lawrence van Helsing and Count Dracula on top of a coach results in Dracula dying from a stake made from the remains of a wooden wheel. Lawrence dies from his wounds and, as he is buried, a servant of Dracula buries the remains of the stake by the grave and keeps a bottle of Dracula's ashes and the ring. One hundred years later, the colourful 1972, Johnny, the great-grandson of the servant joins up with a "group" containing Jessica, the grand-daughter of the present vampire hunter, Abraham van Helsing and with their unknowing help resurrect Dracula in the 20th Century who is determined to destroy the house of Van Helsing, but who can believe that The king of the Vampires really exists and is alive - in 20th Century London?" IMDB

I think on the whole its another classic Hammer film with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
That movie is one of my favorite Hammer films! I love the whole wannabe hippy aspect of the film, and the soundtrack is fun to bop around to.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #1416
Beowulf

Cool "Dig the music, kids! "

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
That movie is one of my favorite Hammer films! I love the whole wannabe hippy aspect of the film, and the soundtrack is fun to bop around to.
<3`s horrorgirl,

Dracula AD:1972 is one of my favourite Hammer films too, I love the 1970`s vibe to it, and the cheesy dialogue amonst the characters...

Professor Van Helsing: A treatise on the black mass? What do you want with this?
Jessica Van Helsing: Oh, just a quiet bit of mind blowing.
Professor Van Helsing: Jessica, this is not a subject to mess around with. These are scientific works.
Jessica Van Helsing: You can buy that sort of stuff in almost any shady bookshop in Soho. I think it's all kinky.

Groovy .

What did you think of the 1974 follow up `The Satanic Rites of Dracula` ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #1417
horrorgirl

Satanic Rights Of Dracula is 'okay'. I think it is one of the weakest Lee Hammer movies. It seems to be a total boobie movie. I mean there were other Hammer movies that showed boobies, but Satanic didn't have a very good script.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #1418
Pathogen.

The last 5 films I've seen:

*Spider Man 2 [2004].

*The Man Who Wasn't There [2001]. Driected by Joel Coen [of the Coen Brothers directorial duo who brought us "Fargo" & "Blood Simple"]. What a long, dry, boring-ass excuse for a Neo-Noir flick! At least it was in black-&-white & had Scarlet Johanssen in it.

*Way Of The Gun [2000]. Now this was a Neo-Noir flick! Standard kidnapping plot in the desert concerning a pregnant Juliette Lewis, a suitcase with a cool million in it & an armed all-star cast headed by Taye Biggs, Benny Del Toro, James Caan & Ryan Philippe [doing his worst Al Pacino imitation].

*2 Film-Noir classics with Barbara Stanwyck in the "femme-fatale" role:
*Baby Face [1933].
*Double Idemnity [1944] [this flick kicks ass!]
Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #1419
tenet_2012

"Banlieue 13"...

One of the best French films I have ever seen. Ranks right up there with "Brotherhood of the Wolf".

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:25 AM   #1420
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Is it actually Double Idemnity, or is that a typo? I'm not trying to nitpick, but I was going to look it up on imdb and thought I'd be sure.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036775/

It is Double Indemnity.

A great movie..

Double indemnity is when you get twice the money on an insurance return because of certain extenuating circumstances.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:47 AM   #1421
DirtyBlonde

The last movie I sat through was "The Legend of Zorro" on DVD. It was alright. My husband is a sword collector & he's into any movie with sword fighting so he was more into it than me. It was kind of hokey, but I laughed at some parts. I was more into the elaborate costuming. I really can't remember the last "good" movie I saw.
DirtyBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM   #1422
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlonde
The last movie I sat through was "The Legend of Zorro" on DVD. It was alright. My husband is a sword collector & he's into any movie with sword fighting so he was more into it than me. It was kind of hokey, but I laughed at some parts. I was more into the elaborate costuming. I really can't remember the last "good" movie I saw.
Didn't you like their kid, though? Gosh, he's too cute.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #1423
DemureDemise

The last movie I saw was V for Vendetta. It was very good, very intense. Natalie Portman looks so beautiful with her head shaved. Hugo Weaving's character V is quite charming.
DemureDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #1424
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemureDemise
The last movie I saw was V for Vendetta. It was very good, very intense. Natalie Portman looks so beautiful with her head shaved. Hugo Weaving's character V is quite charming.
DEMURE DEMISE: Saw it 2 weeks ago. Wasn't impressed with it too much, although it was very well-written. And I agree with you; Natalie Portman looked damn good bald!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #1425
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Is it actually Double Idemnity, or is that a typo? I'm not trying to nitpick, but I was going to look it up on imdb and thought I'd be sure.
XNGUELA: The actual title is indeed "Double Idemnity". It's not a typo.

If that doesn't work, if I.M.D.B. has a "Search" window on any of its pages, type in "Film Noir", "Edward G. Robinson" or "Barbara Stanwyck", press "search" & see what the results are.