Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Christina_Death1334

I hate small-towns...

Today, in psychology it was obviously "Label Stephanie Day"...(That would be my name, it means 'crown' ^_^) Someone called our school's band alot of names, and since my younger brother is in band I really support them. (And because they're damn good!!) Since a football player made the remark I countered, "When was the last time you guys won again? [pauses] I notice you can't recall." (I'll admit, I am an instigator.) Somehow, the entire conversation turned to how I hater this small-town and most of the kids at my school because of my wardrobe. Stupid. (But of course, my pinstriped pants WERE telling me to shoot up the school...Of course.)

And then at the pep rally (I hate those) they had an open prayer over the loud speaker (student-led and therefore legal) AGAIN. I know it is legal, but must they do it over a loudspeaker. That just seems wrong. I respect every religion, but I don't need to hear about it at school. So I filed a complaint with my superintendent (sp?). He said he had a problem with it being unavoidable (due to the speakers involved). He also said he sits next to the principal at the games and would have a chat with him.

So overall, today consisted of being labeled and finally getting tired of hearing about religion in school (in a preach-y manner, that is).

Just ranting here, but am I wrong to file the complaint? Just wondering...(Although it WAS my boyfriend's idea...So if it was a bad choice, I pin it on him!!^_^)
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Green.Lady

I'm guessing you live in a red state?
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Edward Strange

Whether it was a good idea or not, I know not, I do feel that someone, -somewhere- will have a problem with it.

We get alot of it, not in the same context you understand, mostly it's to do with perceived racism.
E.g. "Can I go first?"
"Wait your turn."
"Racist"

And so on. While I'm not saying this is what you meant with your complaint it's almost certain someone will see it that way. They will argue things like America is a Christian nation, no-one else seems to have had a problem with it and they'll probably throw in something else about Satan worship or something... >_>

As I say, whether you should have grinned and tried to ignore it, I know not.
But I imagine someone along the line will have a problem with it, you know what people are like..

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
insertwittyname

eek. If they say Satan worship, isn't it against the law to prejudice people of other religions? So, you could try that if they bitch. And it being over done with the prayer on the loudspeakers? i think not. Dear God I hate having to be forced to sit through those things but thankfully my school is overly careful about treading toes.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Edward Strange

If it does make you feel genuinely uncomfortable then it's fine that you made a complaint. I'm sure no souls are going to be lost because there's no loudspeakered prayer.
I'm inclined to agree, I'm not religious (might have something to do with being brought up in a Church of England school) and I really don't feel comfortable when surrounded by... Religious... Things. It's like I'm missing out on something.

I'm sure if the prayer is gone from all future events a good few people will be quietly grateful because they probably didn't give a damn either.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #6
Christina_Death1334

Praying openly in school doesn't bother me. It's just that I would like to not hear it and have to be, basically, preached to during a pep rally. I wouldn't even have a problem with it if it was done in the same place, same time if I didn't exactly HAVE to hear it. Does that make sense? The speakers just mean that when I don't walk to the center of the gym to pray I don't have to hear it. Thus, their religon is avoidable, but they can openly pray. Wouldn't that make everyone happy? I asked a few people what they thought, and alot of them (both Christian and non-Christian) agreed.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I'm Catholic but frankly I don't like the idea of a prayer broadcasts over the school intercom is extreme. If anything Christianity teaches you to be humble in all things prayer especialy not go around like "omg I was at this store and they had prayer crosses for half off!!! I am soo going to out pray you with these. Omg no you didn't they told me I was the only one who went for the crusify yourself package deal because it costed me soo much but the more I spend the more I recieve in heaven right?"

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Draconysius

When it's time for morning prayer again, you should shout "Hail Satan!" just to shock everyone. Anyway, high school is just a petty popularity contest. Stick with your friends and just totally ignore everyone else. At least that's what I did.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Christina_Death1334

It was at the end of the pep rallies, not the morning announcement. Had it been everyday I would have been way more pissed. Friday, we'll see if they do it again. If they do, that's fine. So long as they don't use a mega-freakin-loud speaker system!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Valerius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
When it's time for morning prayer again, you should shout "Hail Satan!" just to shock everyone. Anyway, high school is just a petty popularity contest. Stick with your friends and just totally ignore everyone else. At least that's what I did.
What Drac said.

I'm way past high school, and when I look back at that time I was still in it, I laugh.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #11
Christina_Death1334

I'll have to wait until Friday to see if I even got anywhere. If not, I'll just go to the next school-board meeting and the nex Youth for Christ meeting. It just really bothers me. I've not done this to them.

And about the guy's in psychology class, the two arguing the most are both rather dull-witted. I shouldn't have given them any of my time anyways. I was stupid to argue with those morons!! Besides, I should expect that at school. Not everyone can be understanding. And I shouldn't expect them to be. That was my fault.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Christina_Death1334

I talked to the principal a few days ago and he said that now when they do the prayer they will anounce that everyone who doesn't want to pray can return to class. So everybody wins, right? No. Apperently I pissed off a friend in the process. She says I have no respect for other religions. How so? I defend the freedom of others on a daily basis. This includes the freedom to choose one's religion. So I am a bit irked that she is angry with me about this. What do I do?