Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
thekorupt

Art Inspiration.

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place.. I really don't have an idea where this would fit.

Anyways.. I paint.. and I have had art block for about a week. I REALLY need to paint some (it helps me cope with pain) and I really need some inspiration. Its like... nothing is setting off that spark for me.

So here is where y'all come in. Any ideas, inspiration, photos... anything you are willing to contribute to this would be great.

I am kinda looking to express some anger and depression that has been going on lately. But really... anything is helpful.

Thanks
-Suzanne
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Catch

Reading, watching television or going for a walk can create inspiration. Some people find inspiration in different places. I had a friend who would watch people to find characters. He could go to a park or mall. Perople are everywhere.

I find inspiration in knowledge and learning. Books provided concepts. Another thing is relaxing out in the woods. Just walk in the quiet calm of the wilderness lets my mind be free of all the regular happenings in my life.

Inspiration is different for everyone, but usually it begins by going out into the world and finding something that provokes the imagination.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
electrosexual

Keep a dream diary and use your entries for inspiration. They usually reflect your current feelings, but in a more abstract fashion.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
thekorupt

My dreams are seriously messed up lately... Like, I had this one about my sister in law giving birth to a manta ray. Yeahhh... that was "sane".

I also had this dream about being arrested...

And another about being beaten to death by someone close to me..

So yeah.. not very inspiring. However, I would love to do something based on the jail dream... maybe not jail, but something about being trapped, encased... I just don't know how to portray it yet.

Keep the ideas coming. I promise, any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
ForgetThisLostLenore

I found that reading and going out around my town (which has no lack of insane, but somehow interesting people) often help when I'm at a block. Also, when I'm really bored and need some practice, I draw my lunch. My dreams also help.

I personally just got over mine after reading a book my sister finally gave back. I don't paint though, charcoal and pastels for me
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Watch one or more Philosophical movies, like I <3 Huckabess or Waking Life and the ideas usually burst up like a fount, for me at least. Also movies with fun aesthetics like Fifth Element and Ultraviolet (both srarring Milla Jovovich) can help in the creative process.

Pursue any and all thoughts you have and maybe even write down every little thing that takes your interest.

eg. Toasters make toast, my walls are going from white to grey, the shadows my blind cast look like an upside down cake.

Those sorts of things always help me, but they're just suggestions..
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
She_Is_My_Sin

Don't force yourself into painting, if you really feel there is nothing behind it. That can stress you out and make you struggle even more.

I find that listening to music as I'm trying to sleep really helps (apparently that's when people can be most creative).

Reading, watching a film and going for a walk are helpful too.

I've had art block for a while now, so I understand how frustrating it can get.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
Minyaliel

I just finished reading a book called "Already Dead" by Charlie Huston. Apart from being an amazingly well- written book, I found it very artistically inspiring. Read it.

Also, sitting down nice and quiet and observing people is a good idea. Get a pencil or a drawing pen (I usually use a pen because they look inconspicious) and your drawing pad and just do quick sketches of random, interesting scenes. I usually do this for practise anyway, whenever I get the chance. I always carry my tools with me in any case. It's amazing what you spot if you just keep your eyes open. I did a fairly good pen drawing of this middle- aged mother who was sitting on a fountain on Carl Johan (Oslo's main shopping street) with lots of flowers and leafy plants in flowerbeds around her. She was working on her tan and photographing her daughter, who was swimming in the cool (albeit dirty) waters of the shallow pool. Shame I don't have a scanner here, else I'd upload it for you to see. With such quick ditties it's the impression that's important, not the accuracy of the proportions, in my opinion. It's an exercise in catching the moment which is a good thing to be doing for any budding artist.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Seems that a lot of people are having artist block (including me).
Try going through your sketchbook and developing old ideas.
Setting up random still lives is fun and good practise.
Play a game, such as see-how-many-edges-you-can-lose-and-still-have-it-look-like-something.
The Drawing the Lunch thing is a good idea. I'll have to try that.

Remember: If you're seriously trying to develop your ability to portray things realistically, draw every day. It doesn't matter if they suck (so don't let that frustrate you). The important thing is that you're drawing.
Good luck

Edit: I find that if I leave it too long, it's harder to get back into it.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
thekorupt

Thanks for the ideas guys...

For me, I can't just "do" something. It has to convey something, or I get bored with it.

For example.. I did a painting based on Psalm 23... ("yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...") so I did the grim reaper in death valley. To me, that portrayed what I get from that painting. It was part of a challenge from this art group I am in, and they all did happy things. Mine was this barren, sparse place with an object most people fear in it. Kinda an odd interpretation I guess.

I guess part of what I am looking for is conceptually cool ideas that I can put an interpretation on... does that make sense?

Oddly, I hate drawing. I just paint. I love the feel of good paint sliding from my brush to canvas... its almost... sexy...

I will do a brief sketch to get things laid out, but the less pencil, the happier I am..lol!

So yeah... I guess I should have clarified that.

Thanks so much for the input though.. I definately do work on something daily.. And I will look for that book miny recommended. Also... I like sir canvas's blinds idea.. heheh

Please... any conceptual ideas for something cool... always appreciated.
-suzanne
Old 07-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
KontanKarite

You know what I do sometimes to help spice things up?

I do something totally opposite of what I'm used to doing.

Your depiction of Psalm 23 sounds pretty predictable. I mean no disrespect, but going on what I've observed about you so far, I'm not in the least bit surprised that you went in that direction.

It's almost expected of you and I'm sure you're expecting the same for yourself.

Essentially, I'm suggesting you perverse your aesthetic. See what happens when you take your talent and use it against yourself in an effort to make you think and change.

If you do that, you might find a whole new dimension of inspiration and ideas for yourself.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Mir

If you're asking for help with inspiration, you're in more trouble than you thought.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekorupt

Oddly, I hate drawing. I just paint. I love the feel of good paint sliding from my brush to canvas... its almost... sexy...
While I don't find that experience sexy, that is one of my favourite things about thick paints.

Also, visit a gallery or read a good art book with lots of pictures. I went to the National Portrait Gallery and the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition last week and some of the stuff I saw blew my mind. Afterwards I really wanted to try some new things. New subjects as well as new media.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
thekorupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You know what I do sometimes to help spice things up?

I do something totally opposite of what I'm used to doing.

Your depiction of Psalm 23 sounds pretty predictable. I mean no disrespect, but going on what I've observed about you so far, I'm not in the least bit surprised that you went in that direction.

It's almost expected of you and I'm sure you're expecting the same for yourself.

Essentially, I'm suggesting you perverse your aesthetic. See what happens when you take your talent and use it against yourself in an effort to make you think and change.

If you do that, you might find a whole new dimension of inspiration and ideas for yourself.
Yeah... The psalm 23 thing was pretty predictable. And very typical of me.

I think a big issue is this antidepressant I am on. It makes any creative thought fuzzy... its like, everything is fuzzy and I am just.. numb. At least depressed I could think. But I gotta take it. Makes life better for my family. Id rather give up some of myself for them than chance losing them.

Kontan.. I am really interested in your idea. Please explain some more and maybe give an example so I can fully understand what you mean. I am not sure I am 100% on it. I get the concept, but the application is fuzzy.

And She_is_my_sin:
Yeah.. I have been looking through some Van Gogh works... he is one of my faves. I love that his take on things is very impressionist.

I think impressionism would be a good opposite for me, if that makes sense.

And Mir:
Yes. I know exactly how much trouble I am in. I just need help getting out of it.

Thanks guys
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Beowulf

Have you thought of trying Photography as a medium ?
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
thekorupt

Yes. I didn't get a choice but to consider it. LOL! My Father was a photographer.

I have done photography my whole life. When Dad died, I inherited, oh, $6,000 or so in camera equipment.

I never had the passion for it he did, but I definately have an eye for the composition. I am good at it, but it doesn't satisfy my craving for the bizarre, you know?

I am trying to get back into it. I snap pictures all the time lately. I bought a decent digital camera and take it with me places to get myself in the habit of looking at life in terms of a picture, and its helped some, but due to health issues, I have been somewhat housebound lately.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #17
MollyMac

Force yourself into a foreign situation. Have someone drop you off in a random location for 12 hours with nothing but your wallet and sketchpad and pens. See what happens.

I usually step out of my life when I am dry
Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Yes. I didn't get a choice but to consider it. LOL! My Father was a photographer.

I have done photography my whole life. When Dad died, I inherited, oh, $6,000 or so in camera equipment.

I never had the passion for it he did, but I definately have an eye for the composition. I am good at it, but it doesn't satisfy my craving for the bizarre, you know?

I am trying to get back into it. I snap pictures all the time lately. I bought a decent digital camera and take it with me places to get myself in the habit of looking at life in terms of a picture, and its helped some, but due to health issues, I have been somewhat housebound lately.

I hope you get to take some cool pictures soon, I`ve managed to take some really interesting indoor photos (usually of my cats) and in my back yard as there is alot of birds that come to feed !!!.

If you want to talk more about photography please feel free to PM me !!!.

Hope your feeling better soon !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #19
thekorupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I hope you get to take some cool pictures soon, I`ve managed to take some really interesting indoor photos (usually of my cats) and in my back yard as there is alot of birds that come to feed !!!.

If you want to talk more about photography please feel free to PM me !!!.

Hope your feeling better soon !!!.
Hey Beowolf... I would love to chat some, but I can't PM yet. Too new a member, I think. If you would like to chat on Yahoo Messenger, feel free to add me to your list, or email me. All the info is on my profile. Fair warning though... I only get messages list only, so if you don't add me then I wont be able to get them. Would be nice to have someone to chat with about similar interests. :-)
-Suzanne
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #20
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
I think a big issue is this antidepressant I am on. It makes any creative thought fuzzy... its like, everything is fuzzy and I am just.. numb. At least depressed I could think. But I gotta take it. Makes life better for my family. Id rather give up some of myself for them than chance losing them.
I had the same problem with an antidepressant. I couldn't think and I couldn't *see* things properly while I was on it, so I stopped taking it.
Ironically, I'm much happier off the antidepressant than I was on it. >.<

One thing you could try is taking a phrase (like that one from Psalm 23) and coming up with as many ideas about it as you can, even if you just make little thumbnail sketches of them at first.

One of my art profs in University said "Your first idea is your worst. In everything. First compositions, first jobs, first boyfriends..." He also told us that we were each only allowed to make one Autumn Leaf Sequence piece in our career.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
thekorupt

Hehehehe... I like the first idea thing. I think thats pretty much always true.

I have never done an autumn leaf anything, and never will. Bleh.

I like your idea about the phrases.. I will try that tomorrow definately. Too ate to think tonight.

May I ask, what was the antidepressant? I am on Cymbalta. Its the only one thats helped AT ALL. Going off it isnt a choice for me, because its just not fair to my husband and mother to subject them to me unmedicated. When I was alone, my moody dark nature was fine, and I liked it. My best work was when I accepted whatever mood I was in and embraced it. Manically high or dangerously low, I embraced whatever I was then, and went with it. But... I have responsibilities, and people I am responsible for now. I have to think of them first. And for me.. Its just not fair to do that to them. They wouldn't know which animal they were coming home to.

But honestly.. I hate this. I hate how they make me feel. I hate that I can't "see" things. I hate that I am 100% numb. Not happy, not sad just... numb. Yep. all the time. Unless I am making something, I feel sorta dead.

Anyways.. enough whining.

I am going to pick out some phrases and write everything I can think of about it, then (taking some advice from Kontan) pick the most un-me interpretation I can and see what comes of it... Thank you.

Anymore suggestions, I promise, I am trying anything.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #22
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I was on Welbutrin. I didn't awwwww tiny spider on my screen!
...didn't have big mood swings; I only had a chronic foul mood kind of thing. I've put art ahead of everything in my life (I don't have a husband or boyfriend), and the meds were interfering too much, so they had to go. Perhaps that's not terribly responsible of me, but.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #23
dre bin laden

YOU DON'T THINK SOMEONE GIVING BIRTH TO A MANTRA RAY IS INSPIRATIONAL? DUDE! THAT INSPIRED ME AND I DIDN'T EVEN DREAM IT! haha no but really im not kidding at all. i wish i could help you out with this thing, im a writer and im having a dry spell lately too. its weird its like, inspiration isn't really external factors, its more internal. like, if youre uninspired, you could be at freakin burning man and not feel anything; but if you are inspired, you could walk down the street and find a universe in the rock you pick up off the ground. the trick is getting your mind to that point where everything is big and elaborate. have you ever considered hallucinogens?

labelledame- i was prescribed welbutrin when i was like 10 and i hid it under my tongue and sold it to kids on the schoolbus for $8 a pop. i just had a terrible fear of taking that stuff. your post gives me an odd sense of vindication.
dre bin laden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
KontanKarite

Quote:

Kontan.. I am really interested in your idea. Please explain some more and maybe give an example so I can fully understand what you mean. I am not sure I am 100% on it. I get the concept, but the application is fuzzy.
Think of something you can't stand. Anything. Here's an example: You have a dark aesthetic, but how can you express happy ideas and thoughts?

For example, a lone vibrant tree, isolated in the middle of a sunny field is so much more darker than a grim reaper in a craggy valley of death.

If all the precious grays and blacks in the world were eradicated and all you had were happy pastels, how would your aesthetic survive?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #25
thekorupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Think of something you can't stand. Anything. Here's an example: You have a dark aesthetic, but how can you express happy ideas and thoughts?

For example, a lone vibrant tree, isolated in the middle of a sunny field is so much more darker than a grim reaper in a craggy valley of death.

If all the precious grays and blacks in the world were eradicated and all you had were happy pastels, how would your aesthetic survive?
Kontan... would you wanna chat off board sometime? (no I am not hitting on you) You seem so interesting.. I would love to get to know you.

Thats a fantastic idea... That gives me so many ideas...Thank you so much...

Tomorrow I am going to try that. I have a doctors appointment, but as soon as I get home..

Thats such a simple idea but I never would have thought that way. I feel kinda duh now..