Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
CptSternn

Arrow Real Life Horror Film

Wrong Turn, The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The House Of 1000 Corpses...here we see it happening IRL...

6 arrested in week-long attack on woman

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...d_N.htm?csp=34

LOGAN, W.Va. (AP) — A woman was sexually abused, beaten and humiliated while being held captive in a home for at least a week, sheriff's officials said Monday after making six arrests.

Those arrested, including a mother and son and a mother and daughter, are white. The victim, a Charleston woman who was being treated at a hospital Monday, is black. The FBI plans to investigate it as a possible hate crime.

"The things that were done to this woman are just indescribable," Logan County sheriff's Sgt. Sonya Porter said.

Deputies found the 23-year-old victim Saturday after going to the home in Big Creek, about 35 miles southwest of Charleston, to investigate an anonymous tip. One of the suspects, Frankie Brewster, was sitting on the front porch and told deputies she was alone, but moments later the victim limped toward the door, her arms outstretched, saying "help me," the sheriff's department said in a news release.

Besides being sexually assaulted, the victim was stabbed four times in the left leg and beaten, Porter said. Both of her eyes were black and blue. Deputies said the woman's wounds were inflicted at least a week ago.

During her capture, the victim was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court. The woman also was choked with a cable cord and her hair cut, it alleges.

One of those arrested, Karen Burton, is accused of cutting the woman's ankle with a knife. She used the N-word in telling the woman she was victimized because she is black, according to the criminal complaint.

Deputies say the woman was also doused with hot water while being sexually assaulted.

The sheriff's department requested the FBI's participation, said agent Jay Bartholomew.

The six suspects were arrested Saturday and Sunday. Deputies were still trying to determine whether the victim knew her assailants and how she came to be at Brewster's home, Porter said.

Frankie Brewster, 49, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and giving false information during a felony investigation. Deputies said she was the woman on the porch.

Her son, Bobby R. Brewster, 24, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony.

Burton, 46, of Chapmanville, is charged with malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony.

Her daughter Alisha Burton, 23, of Chapmanville, and George A. Messer, 27, of Chapmanville, are charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, is charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding.

All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
msr.iaidoka

CptSternn,

That is, unfortunately, what is known in the law enforcement world as "job security." It constantly amazes me how often such cases come about and that, in general, people have not become totally desensitized to it yet. The lesser crimes, yes. But the big, splashy, headline inducing cases still manage to shock.

Wishing my job security required less havoc,

Matt
msr.iaidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Underwater Ophelia

It's sickening that this kind of thing is still happening.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
thedoll

Life immitating art?

You have to wonder what goes through their heads when deciding to act this way. That this woman was somehow offensive because of her skin color? I just don't understand the need to harm somebody.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
CptSternn

More details arise in W.Va. torture case

http://news.**********/s/ap/woman_to...VtHiUW43es0NUE

LOGAN, W.Va. - The list of horrors allegedly endured by a woman at the hands of six people in a remote trailer grew during the suspects' court hearings — leaving the woman's mother sobbing.

Reading Tuesday from a statement 20-year-old Megan Williams gave deputies the day she was rescued from the ramshackle home, a sheriff's deputy said she had been stabbed with what she described as a butcher knife and beaten with wooden sticks and fly swatters.

She said she was sexually assaulted, doused with hot water, forced to eat animal feces, and taunted with racial slurs. Among the new allegations, she said hot wax was poured on her, and that two of her captors forced her to drink a cup of their urine.

Carmen Williams, the victim's mother, left the preliminary hearing of one of the defendants in tears Tuesday after listening to what her daughter allegedly experienced.

Charges against most of the six suspects were upgraded Tuesday. All six, who are white, now face charges of kidnapping, which carries a maximum life sentence. Four of the defendants had faced lesser charges before Tuesday's filings.

Megan Williams' statement said the defendants told her they didn't like black people and that they were going to hang her, though no hate crime charges were filed.

"They told me if I tried to get out they was going to hit me and stuff. I was scared of them," Logan County Sheriff's Deputy Jeffrey Robinette read from Williams' statement.

Some of Williams' supporters have urged the state to file hate crime counts. Prosecutors have not ruled out such a move but have said they are focused on crimes with the toughest penalties and note that the maximum sentence for a hate crime is just 10 years.

The Associated Press generally does not identify suspected victims of sexual assault, but Williams and her mother agreed to release her name. Carmen Williams said she wanted people to know what her daughter had endured.

Megan Williams' ordeal ended when an anonymous tip led police to the home Sept. 8. Deputies are still trying to determine how long Williams was held.

Kidnapping and sexual assault charges, along with additional counts of battery, were filed against Karen Burton, 46; her daughter, Alisha Burton, 23; and George A. Messer, 27, all of Chapmanville. They also face additional counts of battery.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, now faces a kidnapping charge that carries life in prison. He originally was charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding. Prosecutors added two more sexual assault charges, which each carry a maximum of 35 years in prison.

Three counts of misdemeanor battery were added to the charges against Frankie Brewster, who owns the home where the suspected assault took place. She also is charged with kidnapping, first-degree sexual assault and giving false information to police. An unlawful malicious wounding charge was dropped.

In a statement to deputies, Brewster detailed her role and implicated others, saying "I just want to come clean." Brewster also is accused of forcing Williams to perform oral sex on her.

A sixth defendant, Bobby Brewster, 24, who is the son of Frankie Brewster, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony. Police have said he had a previous relationship with Williams.

Williams said in her statement Tuesday that she was ***** at knifepoint by Combs in the trailer's bathroom, tied with a cable cord and choked by Karen Burton, doused with hot wax by Messer, and stabbed by Bobby Brewster.

Sheriff's Deputy Rick Goodman testified Tuesday that Brewster told deputies that the six defendants were afraid to let Williams go because she might tell on them. They also talked about killing her.

Karen Burton, who was arraigned by video teleconference from jail, said, "Oh, hell no," when informed of the sexual assault charge against her. The other defendants said only "yes, sir" and "no, sir" during their arraignments.

In another courtroom Tuesday, Megan Williams answered outstanding warrants from three counties charging her with crimes involving worthless checks. She was released on $8,000 bond.

Williams, who clutched a small teddy bear in court, was wearing a brace on her right hand and a bandage on her left ankle. She was accompanied by her parents, and her mother held her through portions of the proceeding. Williams' mother also accompanied her during a brief period in a holding cell.

Hearings on the charges will be held in each county. Williams' father, Matthew, told Magistrate Ward Harshbarger, "She'll be there."
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
drewsilla

I see a "based from true events" movie in the near future. Rob Zombie should direct it, since he knows how to make the "backwoods crazy-family movie" anyway.

Poor woman!
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Anarasha

This reminds me of the movie "Missisipi's Burning"...
This is terrible, sickening and wrong..
Oh hell, should we go around torturing the pop-movement as well because they are different than us?
Hate crimes are just plain stupid.. Couldn't these people for once just show a bit of an open mind? Who knows, it might change their life for the better?
Terrible that this still happens..
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #8
Christina_Death1334

This is sickening. These people deserve the most painful deaths imaginable. some of you may think I am cruel for saying so, but they do. Truly.
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
drewsilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina_Death1334
This is sickening. These people deserve the most painful deaths imaginable. some of you may think I am cruel for saying so, but they do. Truly.
I don't think you are cruel at all!! Personally, I think the only fairness these people get is to be sentenced to have whatever they did to that woman done to them. To me, that would be fair.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
Christina_Death1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsilla
I don't think you are cruel at all!! Personally, I think the only fairness these people get is to be sentenced to have whatever they did to that woman done to them. To me, that would be fair.
Agreed. It would balance everything out, would it not?
Christina_Death1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
CptSternn

...unless the perpetrators are to ill to realise whats going on. Fear comes from a sane mind. If they are mentally ill, then subjecting them to the same sort of abuse won't register the same, thus leaving you without justice.

Treating people, so they can comprehend what they did and in-turn feel remorse would be much more beneficial, don't you think?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 AM   #12
thedoll

but then how can I give way to the barbarian deep inside?

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Egad..

I just have to wonder how people let themselves get so fargone that they would do such horrible things to another person. Being angry and frustrated I can understand, but this sort of thing...no way..
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
CptSternn

It does make you wonder what sort of environment they live in that leads to such deranged acts of deprevatey against other human beings, doesn't it?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
LadyStardust

How long do these kinds of trials usually go on? When can we expect to hear a verdict?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #16
Redgauntlet

If these six people tried to use the insanity plea, it's not gonna work. Even if they are truly fucked up, they're gonna declared legally sane. They knew right from wrong. Otherwise they wouldn't have threatened her with further bodily harm if she tried to leave. The guy wouldn't have really lied to the deputies if he didn't know right from wrong. Like I said, that insanity plea ain't gonna work for them. They may not think they did anything wrong any more than child molesters.
Redgauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #17
CptSternn

Knowing right from wrong doesn't mean they are sane, even from a legal stand point. Thats a common misconception perpetuated by the American media and helped along by popular television.

Also, even if they meet the criteria for a proper insanity plea, they wouldn't get it in America anyhow. Look at Charles Manson. A truly ill individual who has no grasp on reality and can't even hold a proper thought for more than a few minutes at a time, but yet his insanity defence was rejected - as were many other high profile murders - because the jury wants their head and in henious crimes will ignore the truth in efforts to satiate blood lust.