Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Legion

Legion's introduction

Hello:
I'm 37 year old "Eldergoth"

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
- I work in Managment for a financial firm. My hobbies change constantly, but include: photography, videography, calligraphy, reading, skiing, and camping.

2. Where are you from?
- Originally from Oregon, but spent a number of years in the service, and then the last decade has been spent in Colorado

3. Who is your favorite author?
- Dan Simons

4. What are your favorite films?
- Silence of the Lambs

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
- I'd have to think about that.

6. At your funeral?
- a requiem commissioned especially for me, of course.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
- something appropriately dramatic that would imply I was living life the best I was able. I dunno, eaten by a shark, or freezing to death at the North Pole or something.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
- want to be buried at sea

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
- Goth foppery; lace and brocade

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
- nothing; I hated my childhood.

11. What's your favorite band?
- Rasputina maybe.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
- never finished college.

13. Why did you join?
- because I've been avoiding it forever.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
- Male
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
Emerald

Welcome
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
roserougesang

Welcome, a fellow photography enthusiast I see! What sort of photographs do you like taking?
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
Emerald

Yes I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of your work Legion. I love Photography, I'm not very good at it myself but it is definitely an artform I appreciate when it is done well. Do you have any preference for B/W over colour? Personally I like the interplay of shadow and light in B/W photos Camping is great too, I love to go Camping...set up camp on the banks of the River Murray (a river in South Australia), build a fire and just sit back and bask in the natural surround, it doesn't get much better than that
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
Sanctus Dei

At this point... welcoming you with out the following would be a ludicrous venture. So first I say this, you can play Mother Theresa on your own dime... but don't you dare try to instruct me on how to spend mine.

When that sinks in, we'll get along all fuckin' peachy like.
All that said... and intelligence in tow, Welcome.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

You love Dan Simmons??
How did I miss this guy earlier?
Incredible movie, fabulous way to die, and Dan Simmons as your favorite author! You're in.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Crom Crauch

welcome to G-net! have fun, and avoid the camels, they bite

Iucunda macula est ex inimici sanguine

Quod sum eris
Crom Crauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
At this point... welcoming you with out the following would be a ludicrous venture. So first I say this, you can play Mother Theresa on your own dime... but don't you dare try to instruct me on how to spend mine.

When that sinks in, we'll get along all fuckin' peachy like.
All that said... and intelligence in tow, Welcome.
Thanks for the welcome.
As far as trying to instruct you in anything, I don't have the hubris to believe that I'm here to instruct anybody in anything. And, quite frankly, I don't care enough to try and change your thoughts or behavior.
Any comments I'm likely to make on here are in regards how I think I should live my life.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:36 PM   #9
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You love Dan Simmons??
How did I miss this guy earlier?
Incredible movie, fabulous way to die, and Dan Simmons as your favorite author! You're in.
What's your favorite Dan Simmons work? As cheesy as they are, I love the Hyperion series. I didn't care as much for his Illium series.
Mr. Simmons is local to where I'm at, so I've had a chance to chat with him briefly on a couple of occassions (book signings, etc).
He is quite gracious and scary smart.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom Crauch
welcome to G-net! have fun, and avoid the camels, they bite

And spit, and stink, and attract flies.
Shudder.
I hate camels.
Thanks for the welcome.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald
Yes I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of your work Legion. I love Photography, I'm not very good at it myself but it is definitely an artform I appreciate when it is done well. Do you have any preference for B/W over colour? Personally I like the interplay of shadow and light in B/W photos Camping is great too, I love to go Camping...set up camp on the banks of the River Murray (a river in South Australia), build a fire and just sit back and bask in the natural surround, it doesn't get much better than that
As my hobbies constantly change, it means that I'm usually new at any hobby I'm playing with. This is a long excuse of why my stuff is poor and I don't have very much yet.
As soon as I photoshop my latest (er, really my only) shoot, I'll post the link to photobucket.
I would imagine that there aren't many opportunities to go snow camping in Australia. That's my favorite kind of camping. The snow acts like a sound insulator and everything is incredible quiet and peaceful
Old 06-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
Welcome, a fellow photography enthusiast I see! What sort of photographs do you like taking?
Well, I'm trying my hand at fashion and glamour, editorial, and portrait. I'm staying away from festish for now. Partly because so many people do it, and partly because I'm new at it and nobody should have to bare it all, only to have me screw up the shot.
My favorite photographers currently are: Nadya Lev, Lithium Picnic, and Eye Works photography.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Damn you lucky bastard.
And, really, I cannot figure out my favorite book.
Hyperion: A literary classic; there should be a cult based on this saga.
The Hollow Man: That's the book that created my fascination for quantum mechanics.
Song of Kali: Though it doesn't have the sci-fi style characteristic of Dan Simmons alone, that book is quite a reading; very graphic.
Ilium: I cannot believe you're not interested in it. I reccomend you to finish it, because it's just the overture for his masterpiece Olympos.

The one I bought and was never really interested in is Darwin's Blade. Have you read it?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
angel011

Hey, you, Simmons lovers, have you read The Summer of Night and A Winter Haunting? Most people who like Simmons despise these books, but to me A Winter Haunting was very intriguing, probably the most interesting of his works.

Entropy's Bed at Midnight (from the Lovedeath collection) was a great story.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

I've always been interested in getting to read Summer of Night. Also, the sole name of Prayers to Broken Stones and Lovedeath is enticing. Very gothic.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #16
angel011

Summer of Night is similar, in many ways, to Stephen King's It. I liked the kids in Summer of Night better, though.

I seem to be forgetting my manners. Welcome, Legion.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:59 AM   #17
end.of.eternity

Oh yeah, Lithium Picnic, I like that photographer too. I'm not good at photography myself but that is a great art form and I'm intending to practise it. And Silence of the Lambs is a good choice. I just watched it a while ago among The Red Dragon and Hannibal, but I don't like the other two.

Welcome! I'm sure you get along here with people.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:05 AM   #18
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion
And spit, and stink, and attract flies.
Shudder.
I hate camels.
Thanks for the welcome.
Like trolls, but with humps.

Welcome! What's your favourite camera?

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 AM   #19
Ben Lahnger

Well, if your smart and snappy intro wasn't enough to win me over, your reply to Sanctus (and I love Sanctus) did the trick. Welcome to Gnet. I hope you enjoy your time here and I look forward to your contributions.

By the way, I've ridden a camel and we got along famously. It was a fun, herky-jerky ride. They have very strange feet; like big flexible snow shoes made for sand. And their smell isn't so bad, although I wouldn't make a perfume from it!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #20
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Damn you lucky bastard.
And, really, I cannot figure out my favorite book.
Hyperion: A literary classic; there should be a cult based on this saga.
The Hollow Man: That's the book that created my fascination for quantum mechanics.
Song of Kali: Though it doesn't have the sci-fi style characteristic of Dan Simmons alone, that book is quite a reading; very graphic.
Ilium: I cannot believe you're not interested in it. I reccomend you to finish it, because it's just the overture for his masterpiece Olympos.

The one I bought and was never really interested in is Darwin's Blade. Have you read it?
Oh I finished Illium and Olympos - I just don't feel they were as good as the Hyperion series. Yet they felt like they were going to be; which is probably why I was midly dissappointed.
I've nevered read "Darwin's Blade".
Song of Kali was his first published book, if I remember right.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel011
Hey, you, Simmons lovers, have you read The Summer of Night and A Winter Haunting? Most people who like Simmons despise these books, but to me A Winter Haunting was very intriguing, probably the most interesting of his works.

Entropy's Bed at Midnight (from the Lovedeath collection) was a great story.
In general, I don't love his horror as much as his sci-fi. That said, I loved "Carrion Comfort" which had a horror feel.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #22
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
Like trolls, but with humps.

Welcome! What's your favourite camera?
My favorite camera or what I actually bought because I could afford?
I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1.
Most of my budget went to the videocamera, which is a Panasonic AG-DVC60
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #23
Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Well, if your smart and snappy intro wasn't enough to win me over, your reply to Sanctus (and I love Sanctus) did the trick. Welcome to Gnet. I hope you enjoy your time here and I look forward to your contributions.

By the way, I've ridden a camel and we got along famously. It was a fun, herky-jerky ride. They have very strange feet; like big flexible snow shoes made for sand. And their smell isn't so bad, although I wouldn't make a perfume from it!
My girlfriend has a warm spot in her black heart for camels. I do not understand this. I dealt with camels in the first gulf war and found them to be stinky, fly-ridden, and mean. Of course, so were we...maybe it's the heat. Makes everybody cranky
Old 06-13-2006, 05:24 AM   #24
Sanctus Dei

Thankyou Legion... the first of many to show restraint and wit in the face of my testing (which in your case wasn't sincere). I appreciate your presence here, a true felt Welcome to the G.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #25
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion
My girlfriend has a warm spot in her black heart for camels. I do not understand this. I dealt with camels in the first gulf war and found them to be stinky, fly-ridden, and mean. Of course, so were we...maybe it's the heat. Makes everybody cranky
Here, here! I run into a lot of that here in Houston in the summer. Take yesterday for instance. The mercury set a record at 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and camel-like attitudes were on display everywhere. Heh!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote