Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Cen0bite

Arthur C. Clarke, dead at 90

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/book...rke/index.html

Science-fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, who co-wrote the epic film "2001: A Space Odyssey" and raised the idea of communications satellites in the 1940s, has died at age 90, an associate said.

Clarke had been wheelchair-bound for several years with complications stemming from a youthful bout with polio and had suffered from back trouble recently, said Scott Chase, the secretary of the nonprofit Arthur C. Clarke Foundation.

He died early Wednesday at a hospital in Colombo, Sri Lanka, where he had lived since the 1950s, Chase said.

"He had been taken to hospital in what we had hoped was one of the slings and arrows of being 90, but in this case it was his final visit," he said.

Clarke and director Stanley Kubrick shared an Academy Award nomination for best adapted screenplay for "2001." The film grew out of Clarke's 1951 short story, "The Sentinel," about an alien transmitter left on the moon that ceases broadcasting when humans arrive.

As a Royal Air Force officer during World War II, Clarke took part in the early development of radar. In a paper written for the radio journal "Wireless World" in 1945, he suggested that artificial satellites hovering above fixed spot above Earth could be used to relay telecommunications signals across the globe.

He is widely credited with introducing the idea of the communications satellite, the first of which were launched in the early 1960s. But he never patented the idea, prompting a 1965 essay that he subtitled, "How I Lost a Billion Dollars in My Spare Time."

Clarke wrote dozens of novels and collections of short stories and more than 30 non-fiction works during a career as a writer that began in the 1950s. He served as a television commentator during several of the Apollo moon missions and co-wrote a 1970 account of the first lunar landing with the Apollo 11 crew.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
DAMN! That is a great loss. I have and have read read all of his 2001 series books, I love Sci-Fi. I even put a touch of Sci-Fi in my story Town and Turret, but I am not even on the same planet with Clarke. He was a genius.

He will be missed.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Mir

RIP. He will be missed.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of my favourite books of all time.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
Dark Clarissa

It is such a loss to the world. However, I'm glad that he had a long life. I love his books.
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
emeraldlonewoulf

He was one of the SF greats. Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein,... The old guard are gone, it seems. RIP.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #6
Pye

Rest in space Arthur.
Pye is offline   Reply With Quote